By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So will the NGP have at least some kind of PSP backwards compatibility?

I know being able to somehow transfer UMD data to the NGP's memory is too much to ask (perhaps through the USB connections), but what about just using the memory stick? Or using games stored digitally? I'm guessing that PS1 Classics and PSN games will have the same multi-use and transfer features on the NGP as the PSP and PS3, but I would like a way to play my Soul Calibur BD and Birth By Sleep discs on this new system instead of paying for the first game once again on the Playstation Store, and not even having the second game available there right now, if ever.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Nope, no way. If you want to play those games, you can just use your PSP if you still have it. Backwards compatibility is a waste in my opinion for any new console/handheld. 

It is possible though, for a third party to create a UMD ripper. But i don't see this happening any time soon since almost no one actually buys UMD's *looks at piracy*.

That's like asking the GC to be backwards compatible with the N64.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Nope, just download games. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

dtewi said:

It's Pizza Butt!

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
dtewi said:

The GC didn't have a way to store games in flash memory.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

No, even though it's technically possible, you are supposed to buy the same games over and over again in this brave new world of DRM and DLC. Of course they could offer an add-on conversion device, or a service where you send in your old games and they convert them for you. But they won't, because they want to sell them to you again.

...And then they have the audacity to complain once their devices get hacked for homebrew so you can continue to play your legally purchased old games on a new generation of hardware.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

dtewi said:

The Wii is BC with all Nintendo systems except the handhelds in a way.

OT: Sure, I don't see why not, at least for the PSN games. I have no hope for UMD-only games, though.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

games bought from the store are playable not UMDs

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Its backwards compatiable with the PSP go

but hopefully for those wanting to replace there psp with the NGP but still be able to play UMD, they could release and USB UMD drive that attaches to the NGP. it might be an bit blocky but it would be better than having to digitally buy all the games off the media centre

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong