By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So will the NGP have at least some kind of PSP backwards compatibility?

Damnyouall said:

...And then they have the audacity to complain once their devices get hacked for homebrew so you can continue to play your legally purchased old games on a new generation of hardware.

Because we all know that if you buy a game for a gaming console, you have the right to play it on the next gen console or even on every device you want, besides the console the game was made for.

Around the Network
antoniocm said:
Damnyouall said:

...And then they have the audacity to complain once their devices get hacked for homebrew so you can continue to play your legally purchased old games on a new generation of hardware.

Because we all know that if you buy a game for a gaming console, you have the right to play it on the next gen console or even on every device you want, besides the console the game was made for.

Fact

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

If they offered like a $2 or $3 method of tranfering UMD games, I wouldn't mind that much (but not more than that).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

all psp digital games (ones on the PSN) would be able to be redownloaded on the NGP

so if you bought any , or have a psp-go then it's very good :)

antoniocm said:
Damnyouall said:

Correct. Of course they try their very best to deny you that right, but that doesn't mean you don't have it.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

The NGP is fully backwards compatible with all PSP games bought via PSN.  There's been no word on games using UMD, but I doubt they'll offer a way to rip them to the system.

LordTheNightKnight said:

If they offered like a $2 or $3 method of tranfering UMD games, I wouldn't mind that much (but not more than that).

WB did a limited time media transfer deal for HD-DVD consumers to switch to BD copies. I don't know how that actually panned out (number of orders processed, etc.), but it involved mailing the sleeve inserts (with UPCs) and paying $5 per movie plus shipping and in return, they sent you BD copies of each movie "upgraded" in this fashion.

I have a stack of games on UMD, most, if not all that are currently available on the PSN Store, but I would mail SCE every one of those disks if I could transfer my licenses to PSN purchases. Preferably for less than $5 a title, seeing as how they wouldn't have to ship me anything in return; just e-mail me a redemption code.

Fact is, UMD is going the way of the Sony MD (Mini-disc for those of you who have never heard of it). I say "good riddance" but won't be buying all my UMD games over again just so I can play them on a NGP.

As for the hope of a "UMD drive" and transfer kit; I'm not holding my breath. If they were going to do this, they would have already done so for the PSP Go, which probably would have improved sales considerably among current PSP owners.

Damnyouall said:
antoniocm said:
Damnyouall said:

Correct. Of course they try their very best to deny you that right, but that doesn't mean you don't have it.

Ant (from my understanding) was being sarcastic.

Additionally, It's not up to Sony or anyone else to cater to your descision to upgrade. you buy a psp1 to play psp1 games, you buy a psp2 to play psp2 games, I have no idea why people are finding this hard to grasp.

If you are so unwilling to adapt, might as well wait till the psp7 so you can play psp 1-6 games just to be safe. Because you and I both know that if the psp3 comes out tomorrow, you're gonna have to upgrade again and the bastards at Sony won't care that you bought the psp2 to play psp1 games and now have to get the psp3 to be like the psp2 so you can play psp1 games....give me a break ¬_¬.

If you are so desperate to play psp1 games, get a psp1!

The psp2 should be bought mainly for psp2 games and features and nothing else.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

makingmusic476 said:

The NGP is fully backwards compatible with all PSP games bought via PSN.  There's been no word on games using UMD, but I doubt they'll offer a way to rip them to the system.

I'm sure they explored all sorts of options for this with the PSP Go.

Naturally, the issue was a simple matter of one person buying a copy of a UMD and then ripping it to every PSP system owned by anyone that one person happened to know. Most wouldn't even see this as piracy.

Without a licensing code and a way to deactivate UMDs, I just don't see it happening short of making an offer to allow consumers to trade in their UMDs for PSN Store game redemption codes.

makingmusic476 said:

Is that confirmed??