By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Sony eat crow again?

rubido said:
Kynes said:
rubido said:

Oh my science! I come back and the thread is like this? What's the problem if Sony comes to copy Nintendo again?

Grow up, there is no problem in that. It's just the way these companies go.

I think the problem isn't copying per se, it's trashtalking, spreading fud, and then copying.

I know. I was the one who started this thread. I thought it was a little joke. But then I come back and the discussion is sad about who did what first. Let the companies trash talk all they want. Let's not do their PR for them.

I don't know, I thought people would just laugh about it and move on.

I never really care what companies say about each other.  That's business.  The execs that say these things don't take it all so seriously as the fanboys do.  It's just part of the game for them.

It's when the trash talking gets to internet forums' fanboys that it becomes SERIOUS BUSINESS.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:
rubido said:
Kynes said:
rubido said:

Oh my science! I come back and the thread is like this? What's the problem if Sony comes to copy Nintendo again?

I think the problem isn't copying per se, it's trashtalking, spreading fud, and then copying.

I know. I was the one who started this thread. I thought it was a little joke. But then I come back and the discussion is sad about who did what first. Let the companies trash talk all they want. Let's not do their PR for them.

I don't know, I thought people would just laugh about it and move on.

I never really care what companies say about each other.  That's business.  The execs that say these things don't take it all so seriously as the fanboys do.  It's just part of the game for them.

It's when the trash talking gets to internet forums' fanboys that it becomes SERIOUS BUSINESS.

How could I have forgotten?

irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:
irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:
irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:

Virtual boy is irrelevant. The fact is, 3DS was used by Sony way before 3DS, so implying that Sony planned using  and copying 3D because of 3DS's ''succses'' is ridicilous. Sony had it before §DS, so even if they do come out with portable 3D (which is highly unlikely) they wont be copying anyone.

what are you talking about?  how is virtual boy irrelevant.  It used 3D, that is the point.  End point.  You can't ignore the past. It has nothing to do with Sony or 3DS today.

I am also not saying that sony is copying nintendo's 3ds.  they have no 3D handhelf.  All i'm saying is that sony was not the first company to make 3d video games.  You were stating they were, i was pointing out that, that is indeed false.WHAT? Hell no, i was saying that Sony was using 3D before 3DS, not that they were the first to use 3D in thier games EVER. So if they come out with 3D handheld, they wont be ''eating crow'' or copy anyoe, since they already did use 3D.Nintendo, and others i'm sure had 3d games before sony did.  I wasn't saying sony is copying anybody in 3d, just stating that they did NOT do it first.Then we found our misconception here.

Was avatar the first 3D movie? or spy kids or whatever.  hell no, there have been 3D movies since 1953 at least when hollywood released first big budget one in theatres.  obviously there was also messing aroudn and other 3D movies before that too.  was avatar copying this 1953 movie?  no, but just as above i'm stating james cameron didn't do it first.

how does virtual boy have nothing to do with either? Because its a failed system more than 10 years old.  Doesn't matter its age or success/failure.  It used 3D, end point.

it uses 3D, that is the whole argument.Actually, it isn't, thats what i've ben trying to tell you. I wasnt mentioning virtual boy. I was saying that even if Sony would made a handheld with 3D it wouldnt be copying 3DS (again, THREE-D-S, not fucking virtual boy) How would they not be copying the ONLY other handheld gaming console on the market who happens to have ALREADY been doing 3D?  So by that thinking, if Nintendo implements a back touch pad then they aren't copying Sony.  alright gotcha.

You were saying that sony woudl not be copying Nintendo's 3D because they already are doing it.  I was stating that Nintendo did 3D first.You honestly think Nintendo was the first one to do 3D in video games, Wow, ok...   No I was stating Nintendo did 3D BEFORE SONY.  Thats it.  

The virtual boy was before the PS3's 3D, before the 3DS 3D. And yet i wasnt talking about virtual boy, but 3DS. You can't ignore it.  Doesn't matter if the Virtual boy is this gen hardware or not.  Or are we going to say the 360 was the first system to implement an analog stick.  i mean we can ignore all prior generations right?

your being an idiot.  This has nothign to do with who came out with 3D first, which WAS NOT SONY fyi.Neither was Nintendo, FYI  I know, I was just saying Nintendo did before Sony.

IF Sony says "3D on an handheld is stupid," They didnt say its stupid, they say they find it un-necessary at the moment, don try to twist someone's word to make something out of your argument here.  Thats a PR's way of saying 3D is stupid, but still trying to leave it open for INCASE they want to implement it later like they did MOVE.  but then later makes the NGP have 3D, that is eating crow.

Who came out with 3D first or that Sony was using 3D before means jack shit in this argument. Than why come up and say '' Sony saying they have been using ths technology 15 years ago'' ? You said that, you brought that up, not me.  You brought up how Sony used 3D way before the 3DS.  I brought up the virtual boy which was WAY before any sony 3d.  Case closed.

Its just like when Sony said MOTION was stupid regarding the Wii, and later release the MOVE.  Doesn't matter if they were working on MOVE in 1910, they STILL ATE CROW. But they did work on the technology before Nintendo (if we pretend they started working on Move in 1910) and that was my whole point from the beginning -  That Sony wouldnt copy 3DS if they used 3D.  WHAT.  seriously read what you wrote.  You are really going to believe some jack shit PR saying we were working on said technology for YEARS before someone released theirs.  So your telling me Sony was working on MOVE for years and years before the Wii released, and only finally finished a barely upgradable wiimote .  Oh btw did Nintnedo magically make the Wiimote in a couple months before the Wii release, or could they have ALSO been working on that tech for years?   Arguing on who started working on said tech first is the most moronic argument one can make.  Hell I'm going to start working on a a time machine today.  So whenever someone else finishes one, and i later blatently rip them off, you just remember who started first.  that was me.

How do you not get what eating crow is about.  Its saying one thing and doing another.  Regardless of who invented or used 3D first.  Sony is saying that it is dumb for a handheld.  THUS if they implement it on the NGP, they are serving themselves crow.  Doesn't matter if they are working on 3D for the NGP behind scenes, doesn't matter if PS3 is using 3D.  None of that matters.  It only matter on what they say and what they do.Again, they didnt said its stupid, stop twisiting words.   I know they didn't say its stupid flat out.  THEY TWISTED their words to be PR correct and to not be made such fools as with the motion.  They said it so that they can later come out with 3D and go "we said we would implement it when we saw it was necessary" instead of being bashed for disregarding it earlier and copying it later.

First read above, my responces are AFTER your bold's, and before new paragraphs

anyone with half a brain KNOWs that the Move was a ripoff of the wiimote.  

and in same sentence anyone knows this comment by them is a SAFE way of trying to diss the 3DS as a gimmick while not dissing it so openly that they are made to look like fools if later they add 3D.

Wow, i must say, i excpected much better response from you, i really did...seriously now? Move ripped off wimote? Safe way to diss 3DS? I excpected better response

rubido said:

Because it wouldnt be copying, because Sony already used 3D before 3DS, and i dont want to see millions of threads with people screaming "OMG SONY COPIEEEEEEEDI IT" like with happend with Move. Its very annoying

Doubt it, 3d handheld is an unproven commondity and I would also bet against it selling like gang busters.  But underestimating Nintendo with handhelds has also proven to be foolish...

Around the Network
pizzahut451 said:

Wow, i must say, i excpected much better response from you, i really did...seriously now? Move ripped off wimote? Safe way to diss 3DS? I excpected better response

Oh wow, you sure burned me.

please tell me how the move is not a wiimote ripoff. 

and yes it is a safe company responce that disses a competitive company while not flat out saying so.  companies do it all the time.  they say they did not feel that it was needed YET, or some bs statement like that to justify why they feell their LESS advanced 'in that regards' is still the better choice.  same way nintendo said it won't do 3D in consoles or HD in consoles until there is more consumer's with the ability to do those.  It was nintendo's way of saying "HD is a stupid expense, and their reasoning is that no one has HD tv's"  just them dissing sony/microsoft without closing the door on a later HD version.  cause if they come out later with one they can say "we said we would when demand is there" 

same with sony now.  they lack 3d unlike a competitor so they say 3D is not a good idea NOW.  thus dissing nintendo's idea while leaving open an option to add it later.  they somehow think this will avoid their crow eating.  but we are not idiots.

If 3DS is insanely successful and in a year or two NGP comes out with 3D, it will be huge ripoff, just like the move was. 

irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:

and yes it is a safe company responce that disses a competitive company while not flat out saying so.  companies do it all the time.  they say they did not feel that it was needed YET, or some bs statement like that to justify why they feell their LESS advanced 'in that regards' is still the better choice.  same way nintendo said it won't do 3D in consoles or HD in consoles until there is more consumer's with the ability to do those.  It was nintendo's way of saying "HD is a stupid expense, and their reasoning is that no one has HD tv's"  just them dissing sony/microsoft without closing the door on a later HD version.  cause if they come out later with one they can say "we said we would when demand is there" 

same with sony now.  they lack 3d unlike a competitor so they say 3D is not a good idea NOW.  thus dissing nintendo's idea while leaving open an option to add it later.  they somehow think this will avoid their crow eating.  but we are not idiots.

If 3DS is insanely successful and in a year or two NGP comes out with 3D, it will be huge ripoff, just like the move was. 

As much as you ''burned'' me with your last post...

I wont go there, 'coz it will only cause another boring long discussion. Its a well know fact that Sony has been working on thier motion controller ages ago, waaaaaaaay before wii came out. But i realize you would probably never acept that fact.

As fir 3DS, its just a dumb assuption you made there. First off, I highly doubt Sony will go with 3D on their portable, NGP hardware is expensive as it is already, it doesnt need 3D to be beter than 3DS. Second, even if they go with 3D, they wouldnt be copying 3DS, they already used 3D way before 3DS came out. And again, they didnt say 3D is bad, they said they find it unneccesary at the moment, stop twisting words. 

And if 3DS is succesful, it will be because of original DS's sucssess, not because of 3D.

pizzahut451 said:
irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:

I wont go there, 'coz it will only cause another boring long discussion. Its a well know fact that Sony has been working on thier motion controller ages ago, waaaaaaaay before wii came out. But i realize you would probably never acept that fact.

As fir 3DS, its just a dumb assuption you made there. First off, I highly doubt Sony will go with 3D on their portable, NGP hardware is expensive as it is already, it doesnt need 3D to be beter than 3DS. Second, even if they go with 3D, they wouldnt be copying 3DS, they already used 3D way before 3DS came out. And again, they didnt say 3D is bad, they said they find it unneccesary at the moment, stop twisting words. 

And if 3DS is succesful, it will be because of original DS's sucssess, not because of 3D.

I Love how everyone knows that sony was apparantly working on this move since the beginning of time, but nintendo only started working on it in 2006 weeks before the wii released.    Did sony ever show off this MOVE before the wii?  From my recolection they never showed it, and when wii was out and for years all they did was DISS the wii and say motion is dumb and childesh, ect.  Then they come out with a wii mote clone.  at least microsoft did something unique

and you can bet your ignorant ass that if the 3DS or any other handheld (possible ipad's or whatever) that are also possibly coming out in 3D are hugely succesfull that Sony will throw it on their device in seconds.  they would not wait 7 years for the next handheld they release to implement 3D, they will bring out a NGP3D.

irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:
irstupid said:
pizzahut451 said:

I Love how everyone knows that sony was apparantly working on this move since the beginning of time, but nintendo only started working on it in 2006 weeks before the wii released.    Did sony ever show off this MOVE before the wii?  From my recolection they never showed it, and when wii was out and for years all they did was DISS the wii and say motion is dumb and childesh, ect.  Then they come out with a wii mote clone.  at least microsoft did something unique

and you can bet your ignorant ass that if the 3DS or any other handheld (possible ipad's or whatever) that are also possibly coming out in 3D are hugely succesfull that Sony will throw it on their device in seconds.  they would not wait 7 years for the next handheld they release to implement 3D, they will bring out a NGP3D.

Sony had the video of their motion controller dating back to 2004 with a tech demo and some games. Some sources say the development started back in september or october 2002.

Research on the PlayStation Move began as early as 2001, stemming from parallel development of the EyeToy which was eventually released in 2003. An early prototype version of the Move was demonstrated in a technology demo known as "Magic Duel" in 2001,[36] in which developers experimented with color-based 3D controller tracking,[37][fn 3] In 2008 Sony began work on developing a commercial product, integrating inertial sensors into the motion controller, and refining the device from an engineering and a design perspective. including prototypes using spheres.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Move#History

Here is Sony showing off their motion controller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSzmRt7HhQ

As for the Kinect being ''unique'# it is very simmilar to Sony's eyetoy and PlayStation Eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4d5anfjnA

Im not saying its a copy, but its simmilar to Eyetoy, its just using better technology, just like with Move and wiimote.

And ur last paragraph is another useless assuption that really isnt bringing anything to the discussion. Just your ranting