By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The true next gen handheld competition

Most of you probably think that the fight for crown of the next generation handheld market is to be between the 3DS and the NGP. Maybe you consider smartphones valid competition even, but have you considered that Sony are using the smartphone market against Nintendo?

Right now the smartphones (iOS, Android, WP7) offer a different gaming experience than something you get from a dedicated gaming handheld (DS family, PSP), but still a good gaming experience none the less (it varies from device to device, but still). By using small downloadable games, Sony and Nintendo have been trying to bring that phone experience to their handhelds, but it's not really the same.

But with the PlayStation Suite, Sony are lining up every newer Android smartphone and tablet coming out these days and forward for PlayStation gaming. So Sony's next generation handheld is in fact not just the NGP, but is twofold. In the highend segment for all the dedicated gamers, the NGP is offering a first class portable gaming experience, while Sony are preparing every Android 2.3 (and onwards) machine for a less dedicated gaming experience.

So the NGP can sell less than the 3DS, and Sony can still defeat Nintendo, because Sony are using the smartphones to their advantage, where Nintendo is trying to compete with both the NGP and smartphones with one device. And with PS Suite games being directly playable on the NGP, Sony are lining the NGP up for a bunch of great on-the-go games like the iOS has.

So Nintendo are not just competing with Sony on the NGP, but with almost every Android device coming out from now on. And then you have Apple with the iOS devices, not to mention Microsoft bringing XBL on the go with WP7. So even if the 3DS outsells the NGP, Sony could still defeat Nintendo.

Have Sony one-upped Nintendo with this new strategy?

Around the Network

I won't be discussing this right now, I'm going out, so don't expect me to be part of the discussion right now.

good thread. it was a nice read. and i agree. now if playstation suite goes to the iphone/ipod that would be huge.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

^ Playstation suite on the apple app store would make lots of $$$$$$$!!!!

It's more security for Sony than damage against Nintendo. PlayStation Suite means Sony will continue to thrive even if the market for dedicated portables is shoved to the wayside, whereas as far as competing with Nintendo goes, it won't hurt them specifically, or at least any more than the growth of the smartphone-gaming market might hurt Nintendo

It's quite smart on Sony's end, as it gets them the overall mindshare that has been their ultimate goal with the PlayStation division anyway, is more software focused and will almost doubtlessly be profitable in a way that doesn't involve them betting heavily on high software sales to offset hardware losses

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

too bad ps suite is only going to offer psone games for a while

Sony beat Nintendo to come out of the Playstation Suite.

frankly, the idea is more suited for nintendo console, given it's less reliance on buttons and smaller gaming sizes.

Playstation suite will guarantee the successful of Sony softwares. instantanously increasing its userbase tenfolds.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

To put it into perspective, imagine if Sony would have published PSN games on PC, but instead of Steam it went with second most popular marketplace on the platform (btw what is this marketplace that behind Steam?). Not exactly invigorating =)

What if....Microsoft announces a handheld at E3 2011?

DUN DUN DUN!!!!

I Suck Things Up!

TheGuyWhoSucked said:

What if....Microsoft announces a handheld at E3 2011?

DUN DUN DUN!!!!

Yeah, not part of the discussion.

@ OP

Probably not. Nintendo has been making handhelds for 30 years. So that experience just doesn't go away overnight. Also: Pokemon.