By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could This Be Nintendo's Last Big Christmas?

The thread's like this will never end, for now and for at least 3-4 more years. Nintendo is the king of the roost. Don't expect them to go anywhere anytime soon. Also, they've already doubled the amount of money they had in the bank before the DS launched. What will they end up with when all is said and done for the DS and Wii? That's the more important question.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

Nothing short of an act of God could stop sales of the DS. It may well end up being the best selling system ever if current sales sustain.

I hardly ever use mine and I still like it.

As for the Wii, we'll see how it does once the supply issue is resolved and everyone who wants to buy one can actually pick one up off the shelf on a normal basis. Obviously, it's not going to magically stop selling after the holiday season. Demand still hasn't been met.

huh another fan boy comming out calling for the wii to fail, thats so new on this site never seen that before how about you guys

Come on people, don't you see... The Wii failed at launch last year. It is quite clear that if i selectively read and believe MikeB, Griffin and Hunter_aliens posts that the Wii never actually started selling in the first place.

@ kazaboom

I guess the fate is the same as that of the DS, it just will not be able to continue.

I don't think there are similar expectations, handheld come with very small screens (the PSP a little less so), IMO more interesting for 2D or semi-3D gaming, for large screen HDTV amazing graphics, amount of things being able to processed simultaneously (more things going on on screen) and audio visual capabilities in general seem far more important.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Come on people, don't you see... The Wii failed at launch last year. It is quite clear that if i selectively read and believe MikeB, Griffin and Hunter_aliens posts that the Wii never actually started selling in the first place.

Why mention me? I predicted the Wii would sell like hotcakes (but PS2 would win christmas 2006) well before the Wii launched.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

The same failed arguments again; "HDTV penetration will put people of SD content" and "3rd parties are struggling on the Wii"...will we get a bingo before this thread dies down?

As for the first argument, today in Swedens biggest morning paper there was an article about record sales for flat TVs. I'll do a rough translation of the important part:
"The big surge can have multiple explanations.
- The flat TV has great advantages when it comes to fitting in with your furniture. And the trend is that TV-viewing will be more individual and that the TV no longer is 'the camp fire'. Also the flat TV has come down in price, says Anders Appelqvist, CEO of Elektronikbranschen (working for the companies dealing in electronics)"

I.e. HD in itself is not the main reason people are buying HDTVs.

Most people by HDTV's for the look of the flatscreen, and most don't even know what HD is

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

The next few years wnt be as big, this xmas has been huge

MikeB, Why do you believe that good games are dependant on processing power and high definition graphics?

Bioshock is probably the best game released on the XBox 360 so far and is nearly identical (and in some people's opinions) worse than System Shock 2 which was released nearly a decade ago. Pretty much every XBox 360 or PS3 game is virtually identical to a game which was released for the PC or a Console that is far less powerful than the Wii; why do you think that people who have (so far) not cared about processing power at all are going to suddenly rush out to buy a PS3 because it is 1337 and HD?