By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could This Be Nintendo's Last Big Christmas?

Nintendo is clearly losing sales as a result of being unable to meet demand, hence the slip of paper as a proxy for a console in an attempt to recoup some of those losses. Every time I see someone ask a store clerk if they have them in stock (after looking at that blank space under the games), I see one more sale lost. 

Predicting Wii sales to date has been pretty pointless since it's invariably the same number that they are able to crank out of the factories.

The question is at what point will stock of the Wii be regularly seen on store shelves? Once that finally happens, the "no one has it in stock so I want it" factor is gone and then it's going to be the low price factor and common favorable perception of the Wii that continues to carry sales.

Eventually it will be dependent on the strength of the games (3rd party as well) once everyone who wants one is able to buy one. Right now it really doesn't seem like games are responsible in any way for moving hardware units considering that Wii Play has consistently been one of the strongest selling titles. People obviously aren't buying consoles to play Wii Play. Did anyone hold off on buying a Wii until Mario Galaxy was released? 

Odd or interesting, depending on the point of view, Wii Fit looks to be the real killer app for the Wii next year, based upon the reaction in Japan.  

Around the Network

The wii sounds just like the ipod, more expensive then what its worth and people only buy it because of the name. I'm sure Nintendo could care less if they sell on name brand alone.

I think Christmas 2008 will be less big than this year for the Nintendo Wii, HDTV penetration is rising rapidly, the Blu-Ray vs HD DVD war will probably finally come to an end. 3rd parties will likely continue to struggle on the Wii.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Lets rephrase the question. "Will the crazy demand for Wiis hurt Wii sales?"

And Griffin. How is that not trolling?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Griffin said:
The wii sounds just like the ipod, more expensive then what its worth and people only buy it because of the name. I'm sure Nintendo could care less if they sell on name brand alone.

Ah ha! So it's the Wii that has brand loyalty eh? I knew there was an explanation. Analysts were predicting the Playstation 3 would win the console wars from day one, but they clearly didn't recognize that the Wii's brand name was even stronger! 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

As in terms of Nintendos last big chrismas, no, it's not. You are saying that Wii wouldn't sell anymore, DS wouldn't sell anymore, Nintendos future consoles wouldn't sell, Nintendos software wouldn't sell anymore...
As what it comes to console specific sales, next chrismas of DS will be similar to this one and Wii will sell twice the amount of this chrismas. I'm also expecting to see 199-219 priced Wii sometime next year. And i forgot, that the software sales for both, the Wii and the DS will be a lot higher than this year. Both, 1st party and 3rd party.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Griffin said:

but i thought it was the PS3 that was an iPod + CDplayer + DVDplayer + Blu-ray player + something else that i can't remember but is probably not important. Come to think of it, I have seen a few people walking around town with earphones plugged into the PS3s they keep in their pockets... so maybe it is an MP3 player substitute.

You are right, next Xmas will not be huge - it will be enormous, humongous, monstrous in comparison.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

At $600, the only people banking on the PS3 selling out across the board were Ebay flippers, who coincidentally represented a major chunk of the people initially buying them.

Low price, "it" factor, low availability, perceived ease of use and accessibility have all contributed to the Wii's success. I actually see the Nintendo brand name and game line up as being two factors that aren't major selling points to anyone who isn't already a fan of the world of Nintendo.

MikeB said:
I think Christmas 2008 will be less big than this year for the Nintendo Wii, HDTV penetration is rising rapidly, the Blu-Ray vs HD DVD war will probably finally come to an end. 3rd parties will likely continue to struggle on the Wii.

offocurse they will if they keep releasing shit games. It is jsut fact. They need to get their heads out of their asses and design a decent game and people will buy it.

How said is it that RE4 has sold better then most games released on wii. If a 2 year old port can sell more cause the gameplay is still better then what 3rd has offered so far on wii they deserve to get shit back.