By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could This Be Nintendo's Last Big Christmas?

Nintendo simply does not have the stock to fulfill demand. MASSES of people are going to go home pissed off this Christmas. We all know that Christmas is the time where everyone buys big gifts.

So do you really think that people will be after Wiis next XMAS, or would they have just given up? I find it very possible that Wii will be old news by next Christmas. No one is going to buy a piece of paper for XMAS guaranteeing a Wii in the future. No one wants a present-less XMAS.

Next year, people could very well remember the Wii as the gift they could never find.

Around the Network

What type of question is that?

mM

If your kid is whining all day every day for a Wii, what's worse? A voucher for a Wii a month later or a gaming system that your kid doesn't want? Would you be more pissed receiving a voucher and having to wait a little longer or getting something you don't want but feeling pressured into pretending you like it?

Wii ain't going anywhere.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Yeah, the fastest selling console in history will probably stop selling just after serious third party developer support arrives, only because a bunch of people couldn't find it. Millions of people actually managing to buy one this holiday shouldn't mean much.

Sounds logical enough to me.

um no.

Around the Network
Rubang B said:
If your kid is whining all day every day for a Wii, what's worse? A voucher for a Wii a month later or a gaming system that your kid doesn't want? Would you be more pissed receiving a voucher and having to wait a little longer or getting something you don't want but feeling pressured into pretending you like it?

Wii ain't going anywhere.

Well said. 

If the original argument in this post was true, then by that same logic no one would be buying a Wii this Christmas either.  My sister is waiting till after the holidays to get one, as no doubt many others are.

Short answer no.

There is no other answer.

mr-money said:

Nintendo simply does not have the stock to fulfill demand. MASSES of people are going to go home pissed off this Christmas. We all know that Christmas is the time where everyone buys big gifts.

So do you really think that people will be after Wiis next XMAS, or would they have just given up? I find it very possible that Wii will be old news by next Christmas. No one is going to buy a piece of paper for XMAS guaranteeing a Wii in the future. No one wants a present-less XMAS.

Next year, people could very well remember the Wii as the gift they could never find.

Possible? Sure, that's possible. It's also possible Nintendo will ramp up production again and sell 60 million consoles next year. I'd say both of those scenarios are equally likely.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

If come Christmas 2008 the $249 people don't want the Wii anymore, the $199 crowd will be too happy to snap it up.

Actually the lack of supply will strengthen Nintendo's image as a low tech hippie company.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

They will lose some customers because of the shortage, but they could potentially gain many more because people who never heard of the Wii (and didn't know about the PS3 or XBox 360) now know that the Wii is the hottest videogame system on the market.