By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony granted temporary restraining order and impoundment against GeoHotz

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
kitler53 said:
NiKKoM said:

You know what would suck? If he used his daddy's PC to hack it.. :D

anyway glad I don't live in california cause apparently, buying a piece of hardware for $300 does not mean you own it and can do what you like with it, under California Law... >_>

true story -- i made a copy of your house key.  it's only a copy so it's not stealing and thus completely legal.  being the the freedom fighter i am i distributed that key to everyone in your neighboorhood.  how was i suppose to know that the guy who has been sent to jail 3 times already would use that key to break into your house, steal your shit, and rape your wife.  i mean, as i handed out the keys i told him not do that so i am of course completely blameless.

really, when you think about it this hole thing is your fault.  you should have known i was going to try and make copies of your household protection mechanisms.  you really should have had a more secure house.  i hope you learned your lesson.

best post ever.

By far my favourite since I joined the site!

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

You think they're the same people?    You do realize that hackers don't actual gain ANY benefits from the hacking they do right?  Outside being able to apply the same hacks to their products?

This hack by the way... doesn't even allow piracy. 

"breaking into anything is wrong".  I thought you were a democrat?   Your strange Neo-conservative view here is weird.

Should it be illegal to break into your own house?  Afterall that's what he was breaking into... his own PS3.

If someone gave everybody the keys to break into their own house... should it be illegal?

no see, this is where are wrong.  when you buy a ps3 you by the hardware NOT the software.  if geohotz wants to  bedazzled his ps3 -- go right ahead.  but you, i, or geohot do not own the software on the ps3, that's not part of the deal.

i own a copy of windows -- what i don't own is the right to modify and redistribute the code because i don't own it.  if i wanted to do that i'd have to pony up the 8 or whatever BILLION dollars it would cost to buy those rights.

naruball said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
kitler53 said:
NiKKoM said:

anyway glad I don't live in california cause apparently, buying a piece of hardware for $300 does not mean you own it and can do what you like with it, under California Law... >_>

true story -- i made a copy of your house key.  it's only a copy so it's not stealing and thus completely legal.  being the the freedom fighter i am i distributed that key to everyone in your neighboorhood.  how was i suppose to know that the guy who has been sent to jail 3 times already would use that key to break into your house, steal your shit, and rape your wife.  i mean, as i handed out the keys i told him not do that so i am of course completely blameless.

really, when you think about it this hole thing is your fault.  you should have known i was going to try and make copies of your household protection mechanisms.  you really should have had a more secure house.  i hope you learned your lesson.

best post ever.

By far my favourite since I joined the site!

well stay tuned as the yr goes on and you'ii be shocked by the things you see and hear

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Kasz216 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Kasz216 said:
kitler53 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
kitler53 said:
NiKKoM said:

best post ever.

...it seems to be quite popular with the anti-hacker crowd but i keep coming back to this thread to see if any of the pro-hacker crowd are going to respond.  looks like they will not be doing that...

Probably because it's a poor strawman arguement.  You are equating actual loss of items, with zero loss of property.

with the loss of billions of dollars in revenue. maybe the big tech companies should go out of business then hackers can go back to robbing banks and stilling identities, working for the mob.(ok a little far out there but you get the point).

the IP'S of these talented devlopers is property, and thats wht this hack constitutes and we all know it.

breaking into anything is wrong and should not be done.

You think they're the same people?    You do realize that hackers don't actual gain ANY benefits from the hacking they do right?  Outside being able to apply the same hacks to their products?

"breaking into anything is wrong".  I thought you were a democrat?   Your strange Neo-conservative view here is weird.

Should it be illegal to break into your own house?

liberal independent. gun rights and all. S&W 500's for all. carry them openly, but check for the crazy people

no i don't think they are the same people but they could be. in my eyes its the same thing. if Sony wanted the PS3 to be brokend into they would have knocked on the hackers front door and gave them the tools them selves.

i know hackers don't gain anything(and thats wht puzzles me as to why they do it.(i'd still like to learn the trade of hacking though its genious) but others can and thats the part that im not ok with.

the hack maynot allow piracy, but it can be modified to do so.

wasn't somebody arrested for that last yr? it was in the news!

Liberal Independent... but against a basic consumer rights case?

Uh..... what?  I mean, maybe your just not fully informed on the importance of this case to users rights... or something?

i mean, your even for carrying guns... despite the fact that it's not.

I mean you do know there are many legal reasons to hack a piece of hardware right?  I'm just having a hard time here, because your opinion is completely inconsistant with the rest of your stances.  It's like those Libretarians who want everything to be legal except gay marriage.

Also, yes, somebody was arrested for that last year... or it might of been the year before. 

kitler53 said:
Kasz216 said:

Should it be illegal to break into your own house?  Afterall that's what he was breaking into... his own PS3.

If someone gave everybody the keys to break into their own house... should it be illegal?

no see, this is where are wrong.  when you buy a ps3 you by the hardware NOT the software.  if geohotz wants to  bedazzled his ps3 -- go right ahead.  but you, i, or geohot do not own the software on the ps3, that's not part of the deal.

i own a copy of windows -- what i don't own is the right to modify and redistribute the code because i don't own it.  if i wanted to do that i'd have to pony up the 8 or whatever BILLION dollars it would cost to buy those rights.

it really begs the question does anybody know wht copyright infringement is or means?

and if they did we would still be having this conversation.

i know everybody here knows wht it means but when it comes to hacking some people throw laws out the window.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
NiKKoM said:

Hahahaha, oh wow.

That's right, just one "d"

In b4 "it's addict"
-----------------------------------------------
Add me:

Kasz216 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Kasz216 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Kasz216 said:
kitler53 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
kitler53 said:
NiKKoM said:

best post ever.

...it seems to be quite popular with the anti-hacker crowd but i keep coming back to this thread to see if any of the pro-hacker crowd are going to respond.  looks like they will not be doing that...

Probably because it's a poor strawman arguement.  You are equating actual loss of items, with zero loss of property.

with the loss of billions of dollars in revenue. maybe the big tech companies should go out of business then hackers can go back to robbing banks and stilling identities, working for the mob.(ok a little far out there but you get the point).

the IP'S of these talented devlopers is property, and thats wht this hack constitutes and we all know it.

breaking into anything is wrong and should not be done.

Should it be illegal to break into your own house?

liberal independent. gun rights and all. S&W 500's for all. carry them openly, but check for the crazy people

no i don't think they are the same people but they could be. in my eyes its the same thing. if Sony wanted the PS3 to be brokend into they would have knocked on the hackers front door and gave them the tools them selves.

i know hackers don't gain anything(and thats wht puzzles me as to why they do it.(i'd still like to learn the trade of hacking though its genious) but others can and thats the part that im not ok with.

the hack maynot allow piracy, but it can be modified to do so.

wasn't somebody arrested for that last yr? it was in the news!

Liberal Independent... but against a basic consumer rights case?

Uh..... what?  I mean, maybe your just not fully informed on the importance of this case to users rights... or something?

i mean, your even for carrying guns... despite the fact that it's not.

I mean you do know there are many legal reasons to hack a piece of hardware right?  I'm just having a hard time here, because your opinion is completely inconsistant with the rest of your stances.  It's like those Libretarians who want everything to be legal except gay marriage.

Also, yes, somebody was arrested for that last year... or it might of been the year before. 

well i don't know everything so i may be missing something. if it makes sense i'll back it up without prejudice. if you say something i can agree with when i involves hacking i'll back you up on that point.

the funny thing is that gay marriage is an issue i bypassed and don't consider an issue for me to get into  and abortion rights is a womens issue so i don't deal with that one either.

user rights are very important but bracking into hardware to open the software is know right of the consumer.

give me one legal reason i can agree with, without me being able to say it should be against the law. by the way i love being informed as you should know by now considering you know that im a liberal independent(although im still considered a democrat) so inform me.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
kitler53 said:
Kasz216 said:

it really begs the question does anybody know wht copyright infringement is or means?

and if they did we would still be having this conversation.

i know everybody here knows wht it means but when it comes to hacking some people throw laws out the window.

Did he break copyright though? I do know what copyright is and that code is protected by it, but he hasn't published any code as such has he?

kitler53 said:
Kasz216 said:

No.  That is where YOU are wrong.

Look at the recent Iphone ruling.

If the software prevents you from doing something legal with the hardware you are perfectly free to hack said software under Fair Use.

If the security company you hired to protect your house if preventing you from enetering your house at 3 am because you agreed to not let anyone come in or out between 3&5.  You are perfectly allowed to break their shit and enter your own house.

All they can do is end your contract.

spiffiness said:
Garnett said:
spiffiness said:
Garnett said:

Sony has won the right to keep this guy in jail for awhile? Corporations putting people in jail when the person didn't break any laws... What has America come too...

Where does it say he was put in jail? NOWHERE. 

"Sony granted temporary restraining order and impoundment against GeoHotz"

Impoundment = To confine in or as if in a pound aka Jail...

If you'd read the article, you would know that it's an order of impoundment, which means that his equipment was taken away, like impounding a car or something. I didn't have enough room to type out Order of Impoundment in the header.

Titles are supposed to be a summary of the actual article... Im sorry i found the title confusing (The title didnt say exactly what was impounded).

I read "Sony granted temporary restraining order and impoundment against geohot", That means that Sony has a court order that he cannot come near them and he is in jail...

Regardless, it is messed up that a corporation can take this mans stuff away, especially when he did nothing illegal..