By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

I think that the 3DS will come off the winner sales wise by a good margin.  However, the NGP looks sweet and the fact that a Call of Duty game (that uses two analog sticks) is coming to the system entices me to look at this instead.  It all depends on price and games and the NGP looks like it may be an expensive handheld.  Lastly, if a Halo like game was released for the NGP, namely Gamelofts N.O.V.A. series, then that could persuade me to buy a NGP.

Around the Network

The iPhone 5, iPad, and next generation of Android phones and tablets will win. Software wise I will give the edge to the iPhone because piracy is too big on Android.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

umm, the ngp's price has yet to be announced so how is the 3ds cheaper?

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

Maybe this PSP2 will make it to the late twenty millions. If it gets really lucky.

3DS should be at about 10 times that.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Shadowfest3 said:

I think that the 3DS will come off the winner sales wise by a good margin.  However, the NGP looks sweet and the fact that a Call of Duty game (that uses two analog sticks) is coming to the system entices me to look at this instead.  It all depends on price and games and the NGP looks like it may be an expensive handheld.  Lastly, if a Halo like game was released for the NGP, namely Gamelofts N.O.V.A. series, then that could persuade me to buy a NGP.

N.O.V.A. is making it's way to PSN for PS3 and PSP if i'm not mistaken.  I don't see why the NGP shouldn't be able to play it.  

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
Shadowfest3 said:

N.O.V.A. is making it's way to PSN for PS3 and PSP if i'm not mistaken.  I don't see why the NGP shouldn't be able to play it.  

Is it really?  Can you provide a source for me please :).  Thanks

I think discussing the PSP2 price is a bit of a tricky area too. There'll inevitably different SKU's with different features and prices and theres plenty of stuff in the specs that they can remove to produce a cheaper model at say $299 or something. I think they'll probably sell a 'basic' unit at a loss around $299 but then have a unit with 16GB flash / 3G sold at a profit around $399. Or something.

Shadowfest3 said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
Shadowfest3 said:

Is it really?  Can you provide a source for me please :).  Thanks

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/nova-explodes-into-the-psn-quietly.html

http://www.destructoid.com/iphone-shooter-n-o-v-a-coming-to-psp-ps3-181838.phtml

Grimes said:

The iPhone 5, iPad, and next generation of Android phones and tablets will win. Software wise I will give the edge to the iPhone because piracy is too big on Android.

For total number of units sold, software on the iPlatform will probably dominate ... but the revenue and profits of producing a 3DS or PSP2 game will dwarf the iPlatform games for the foreseeable future. The reason for this is simple, the average iPlatform game costs $1.66 (from source I checked out on google) while the 3DS games will be $40 and PSP2 games might end up being $60; and while iPlatform games can charge $5 or $10 per title, these games (even at their much lower price) tend not to sell as well as a typical handheld console game.

HappySqurriel said:
Grimes said:

For total number of units sold, software on the iPlatform will probably dominate ... but the revenue and profits of producing a 3DS or PSP2 game will dwarf the iPlatform games for the foreseeable future. The reason for this is simple, the average iPlatform game costs $1.66 (from source I checked out on google) while the 3DS games will be $40 and PSP2 games might end up being $60; and while iPlatform games can charge $5 or $10 per title, these games (even at their much lower price) tend not to sell as well as a typical handheld console game.

Yeah, but a lot of developers are switching their good programmers onto the mobile development teams. The rate of growth on these handsets is growing like gangbusters and as consumers become accustomed to buying software the revenue will grow.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.