By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Where are all the good PSP games?

I'm going to have to rebuy a PSP when Birth by Sleep comes out :'(

Around the Network

In stores. Go buy them.

leo-j said:
@superchunk

Dude the psp has over 320 games with the ds about 380 games. The problem is that PIRACY has taken all sales.

Sony was stupid and should have stopped dark_alex, but naw they let him continue as he broke the firmware.

It's not piracy so much as it is the PSP doesn't appeal to people who don't pirate. It's REALLY REALLY easy to pirate DS and GBA games too... easier for the common man then the PSP. Yet they move software. The truth is... the PSP was marketed as a jack of all trades instead of a games machine, and as such less "pure gamers" who are less likely to pirate games. At the end of the day if the PSP wasn't so easy to hack the software would still sell about the same. It's just a lot less people would of bought PSPs. Sony like Apple only half heartidly battle piracy because they are expected too by the software and music companies. However they secretly support it because it makes their hardware more popular. Otherwise the DS would blow them out even more to where they couldn't really attempt a PSP2.

Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
@superchunk

Dude the psp has over 320 games with the ds about 380 games. The problem is that PIRACY has taken all sales.

Sony was stupid and should have stopped dark_alex, but naw they let him continue as he broke the firmware.

It's not piracy so much as it is the PSP doesn't appeal to people who don't pirate. It's REALLY REALLY easy to pirate DS and GBA games too... easier for the common man then the PSP. Yet they move software. The truth is... the PSP was marketed as a jack of all trades instead of a games machine, and as such less "pure gamers" who are less likely to pirate games. At the end of the day if the PSP wasn't so easy to hack the software would still sell about the same. It's just a lot less people would of bought PSPs. Sony like Apple only half heartidly battle piracy because they are expected too by the software and music companies. However they secretly support it because it makes their hardware more popular.

The only person I know that owns a PSP doesn't pirate games, but he still rips every game he owns to memory stick because it will then have far faster load times and uses far less battery power; essentially, pirates get a far superior experience when playing PSP games than paying customers typically do.

Ooof so much flame-bait today :P Ummm I'd say the PSP has plenty of good titles, sure many of them are ports, but to be honest that what I love about the PSP, I'm getting to play all these games that I missed out on lol. I'd say for starters:

1.) Either of the Lumines, I enjoy them quite a bit :D

2.) Final Fantasy Tactics: Lion wars, (in case you missed out, it's pretty damn sweet)

3.) Killzone Liberation (this game is friggin sweet :P )

4.) Loco-Roco!!! This game is bizarrely addictive ><

5.) Castlevania X Chronicles (duh :D )

Umm the majority of games I play are ports because I'm weird like that :P But yeah just metacriitic em XD there's plenty 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

The problem with the PSP, is that it really is a PLAYSTATION PORTABLE. It does have some good games. Hell, it's got some truly great games. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to want to play a 30 hour RPG, or a FPS, or any myriad of console games on a portable system. The PSP needs more "satisfaction in bite sized portion" type games. If you can't make progress, or have a satisfying experience in a few minutes (as you would with Nintendogs, NSMB, or Tetris), then you're probably playing a good CONSOLE game (Metal Gear, Ratchet & Clank).......on a portable system. The DS just knows it's market better.

I agree d21lewis
for example, in zelda phantom hourglass, you can play most dungeons for 5-10 minutes and open a door so that if you stop playing you have made progress and can pick up where you left off.

Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
@superchunk

Sony like Apple only half heartidly battle piracy because they are expected too by the software and music companies. However they secretly support it because it makes their hardware more popular. Otherwise the DS would blow them out even more to where they couldn't really attempt a PSP2.

Uh, Sony is both a software and a music company as well as a hardware company. So, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here?

leo-j said:
@superchunk

While I think you have a good point, I dont think that is the only source of the problem. I will admit that I have a modded PSP, but I never use it between all the systems I own. And IMO the DS destroys PSP in game selection. Not everyone feels that way but I havent touched my PSP in almost a year only due to me not being interested in any of its games.

I will bootleg games, only as  a free rental. If it is good I will buy a new store copy when I can. Not everyone does that but, I really think that both things are major(bootlegging and shortage of great games) problems.

I think PSP2 will come out and do better than PSPone:) though. 

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

HappySqurriel said:

IGN has reviewed 493 DS games and 371 PSP games ...

And there are probably double that many in Japan for both . Its interesting that the PSP is doing far worse than the DS in Japan , and still has much more games than in the EU and US :o

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!