By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would you help someone in need? (a bit of a rant)

I don't feel like reading a long story (in the process of making dinner) but I'm guessing from the OP it was some kind of a fight where someone was getting their ass kicked and nobody stepped in.

In that type of situation I would help if possible, without putting myself in any kind of serious danger. If there's a bunch of big black guys (not being racist, just honest) picking a fight with someone I'm not going to get in the way because I'll probably get my ass beat! But if its a small guy picking on an even smaller guy or some shit then yeah I'd help. 

Around the Network

I would and have stepped in to break fights up. Its this attitude of let someone else do it, or its not my problem, or what if i get hurt, that is causing a downward spiral in todays society ( at least in america, and specificaly southern claifornia where I live). Do to others as you would have them do to you. I follow that pretty closely and it seems to keep me on the straight and narrow and a good person. I think at least. Actually not too long ago my buddies and I wre in a bar and one got in an altercation with somebody and a fight broke out and the guy that started something with my  buddy got knocked out and pepper sprayed by the bouncer and a girl and we ended up carrying him to the car.

and what are they teaching these kids at this highschool that six or ore of them could rape her? Eventhat is bad by itself. CA is not what it used to be

yeah it's sick all right.

I think it's somehow related to morbid curiosity - similar to rubber-necking a car crash.

That and a lack of feeling of civic responsibility. for instance in this example the observers (who should all face criminal charges and chemical castration imo) were probably crying out "Someone should do something!" while merrily snapping away with their cameras until someone phoned 911 after hearing about it third party.

"Police were finally called after a female student overhead people talking about the rape. She called 911 and told dispatchers what she had heard, Gagan said."

revolting and depressing.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Yeah, society is pretty fucked up. I try my best to stop and help someone out when possible and I find that when I do, I actually get odd looks instead of any thanks. Just a few examples:

- Little kid walking around crying by himself, he walks into the car park across from the store, no adults in site, I run out and grab the kid to pull him out of the way of the cars going about. I walked him around the corner to take him to Info and I find his mum freaking out in front of the post office. She didn't say anything, just grabbed the kid, gave me a weird look and started yelling at him and walking off. I've found that if your above the age of 16 and male, everyone thinks your a kidnapper, rapist or paedophile, it's one of the main reasons why most men don't stop to help out women or children.

- Found a Labrador just limping around a park one day, heaps of people around and not one person thought to get check on it or at least call the RSPCA (animal services). I followed him, called the RSPCA, tried to keep him around until they came by and he was taken away to be fixed up. I love animals, I've saved birds and I've taught my dogs to never attack them in the backyard (otherwise I'd kick their ass and they won't get dinner), but most people are absolute dicks when it comes to any sort of responsibility that doesn't benefit them.

- Kid walks into the glass door in front of Coles, no one stopped to help, I helped him and checked him out, he seemed fine and he went on his way. Heaps of people just walking by, waiting for someone else to do something.

These examples aren't here to show how nice I am, but it does show a few situations were people are just dicks. I'll also admit that I do sometimes hesitate, because I do worry that some parent might freak out that I helped their kids out, only because they think I might be a kidnapper or something.

Here's a really good article on a recent case: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703779704576073752925629440.html

Also, the Bystander Effect sucks as well.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

Honestly I would have called the police and then come back to help. I have never been in that bad of a situation before.

However I was at the mall once and a guy grabbed a girl and she pulled away and started running. I was in her way so she stopped and the guy came up to her. The guy was like "Hey your going to listen to me" and she told him to leave her alone and he grabbed her and began pulling her. I stepped in and grabbed his arm, I then told her that this was harrasment and stalking and if he didn't leave her alone I would have to call the police. The guy got in a verbal argument with me telling me to mind my own buisness, alittle fowl language flew around and he left without incident.

Another time I was in my apartment and heard banging in the unit below. I then heard a man yelling I'm going to fucking kill you. After he repeated a few times I decided to call the police. The Police told me several calls had come in from other apartments in my building and that a unit was on the way. (So sometimes others do act).

However I'm not the average person, I wanted to become a cop or soldier. I ended up becoming a security guard. I don't know why I want to fight injustice and be a cop but I do. So I can't be considered the average guy. Also a few years ago a women was getting beaten to a pulp by a group of thugs, a guy walked by and decided to put a stop to it, the women got away but the man was beaten to a bloody pulp he got brain damage and was fucked for life.

In this case you bring up I have a feeling the students watching were friends of the criminals in question. Considering the report says they laughed and took pictures it hardly sounds like they were just witnesses. They were all probubly in on it in some way or another or at least complacent. Also the fact that none of them reported the incident to police I'd have to assume they were in on it to a degree!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

that particular scenario, im afraid the best i could do is call the emergency services, but i would definitely do that.

i try to help whenever i see that its needed, even trying to help hedgehogs and stuff. when it comes to people, sometimes i wish i was more powerful but im a small, weak girl so unlikely to be much help to anyone.

that said, i just finished my mental health first aid training. so if there's an emotional or mental health crisis, im on it! ;)

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

Yeah unfortunately these situations seem to occur far too often. If I myself saw it happening I would call the police because alone I wouldn't be able to do anything. Sometimes i really do fantasize about being a vigilante though,just to see the shock on the thugs faces and knowing that i stopped something bad from happening.

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

NKAJ said:

Yeah unfortunately these situations seem to occur far too often. If I myself saw it happening I would call the police because alone I wouldn't be able to do anything. Sometimes i really do fantasize about being a vigilante though,just to see the shock on the thugs faces and knowing that i stopped something bad from happening.

Hey whatya know so do I. I wanna be a cop but I have often thought of blowing a couple hundred on a suit some body armour and going into the streets to fight crime. Believe it or not apparently tons of american's are becoming super heroes right now. I saw it reported on the news for Seattle theirs a few who dress up and patrol the streets fighting crime. If I was in better shape I would so be down for that!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

OMG, digusting that noone would help this is just wrong, even if you aren't the strongest man/woman in the world you can dial 9-1-1......just wow 

I am no good at grammar =) 

DAMN IT! This EP is such a good idea