By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario & Sonic over 1 million now

ElRhodeo said:
DKII said:
I played it, found it to be either so motion-intensive that it was too tiring to really be fun, or the controls were too complex for new players to get into it without a lot of difficulty. It doesn't have nearly the perfect balance that Wii Sports does.

That's what many reviewers said, and I have to say that I think those two complaints are a bit contradictory.

You can't on the one hand complain about the game being "a shallow wagglefest", while dismissing the more advanced events as too complicated. What's wrong with failing at a game when you play it for the first time? For example, I didn't get swimming in the beginning and finished #8. Next time I realized how to do it.

I think I will have more fun with this than with Wii Sports. I hardly ever play Wii Sports, because it is completely lacking any atmosphere... It's like doing sports in a dentists waiting room.

It might be more fun single-player, but in multi-player there were two outcomes:

1)  It was so motion-intensive we were too tired/sore to really enjoy it.  Sprinting and swimming, for example.
2)  The games were too complex/difficult for new players so the "hardcore" gamers always won by a landslide.  The examples that stand out for me are the skeet shooting and the trampoline.

There are a handful of fun ones, fencing and table tennis, but they just aren't as fun as Wii Sports, which remains the best all-around package for playing with people who have never played video games before.

Around the Network

Good to see it is a hit. The advertisement campaign for it is really compelling.

More Wii games need this type of advertisement if they are to reach the masses.

300k(NA) for Carnival Games didn't come out of no where. Saturday morning commercials help drive sales.

Red Steel was a WW million seller because of all the hype/advertising.

DKII said:

It might be more fun single-player, but in multi-player there were two outcomes:

1)  It was so motion-intensive we were too tired/sore to really enjoy it.  Sprinting and swimming, for example.
2)  The games were too complex/difficult for new players so the "hardcore" gamers always won by a landslide.  The examples that stand out for me are the skeet shooting and the trampoline.

There are a handful of fun ones, fencing and table tennis, but they just aren't as fun as Wii Sports, which remains the best all-around package for playing with people who have never played video games before.

I think it's a much more fun multiplayer game than Wii Sports.  And I don't think hardcore gamers really have an advantage especially in trampoline which you give as an example.  You only need to know where the A and B buttons are (which should only take a few seconds to master) and my wife who is not a hard core gamer repeatedly beats me at this event (unless I have morphed into a casual gamer without realising).  She also beat me the first four times we raced in 400m.  It was only went I went back to do loads of practicing at the event that I got the upperhand. 

GooseGaws said:
CDiablo said:
I am going to get this game after the holiday. Looks like good multiplayer fun and I am glad that Sega has a good selling title. I dont know if it will offset the sales of The Golden Compass though(Im pretty sure Sega made that).

Sega published The Golden Compass, but Shiny developed it. Remember when they used to be good?

So long ago...

RIP Earthworm Jim.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.