By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - And the new highest selling PS3 exclusive is! Yes you guessed it GT5!

fighter said:
justinian said:
Scoobes said:
fighter said:

Facts :

Metas are the most reliable indication of a game's quality. It has its' flaws but there is simply no better indicator than it. It is the aggregation of professional reviews, what else ?

GT5 is quality-wise the declining point of a series, metas might have been lowered due to the difference between the expected and the delivered, but in all honesty, the PS3 crowd has to choose :

Either uberhyping increases metas (due to the rolling tsunami of marketing versus little underpowered journalists) or uberhyping games hurt the sales (due to this very same difference between the expected and the delivered and the egocentric reviewer who decides the game must be punished).

But it certainly cannot be both - and it certainly cannot systematically be the one which better suits PS3's interests - typical example of this double standard : Halo's meta has been hightened due to over-hype / GT5's has been lowered due to over-hype)

And please oh please the "you have to play it to understand the value of a game" is the worst argument ever. Every-single bad game has had a fan (- maybe not the really bad onees as the ET games in the early 80's, although who knows ?), a fab of a bad game who would tell you it's great, especially at about 75% of its' completion.

The italics kinda destroys the metacritic argument. How professional are these reviews? The state of video games "journalism" is a joke at best. Most reviewers and writers in the industry are barely above the standard one finds in forums such as these.

I totally agree. 

The truth is I find some members on these forums far better and more accurate at reviewing games that any "expert" critic and they use less words and waffle, regardless of which console they support.

OT: Good sales for a game with a metacritic 84 rating and long may people make their minds up over the quality of a game by reading more than a metacritic review.

The question isn't about a few subjectively prefered reviews, it's about overalls, and as objective as possible

As a whole, what is more reliable ? the average opinion of all paid reviewers - or ? *nothing else* *and certainly not the few selected reviews of a random person*

That's pretty much what metacritic is.

The quality of reviews chosen are questionable at best because the quality of 90 % of video game reviews are questionable at best. Whether they're paid or not they're still "enthusiast press" rather than actual journalists or critics. Quite simply the video games industry is still too immature for quality reviewing standards. This is why Metacritic is not a good standard to measure game quality.

Around the Network

I don't know how metacritic got involved in this but congrats to GT5 

Scoobes said:
fighter said:
justinian said:
Scoobes said:
fighter said:

Facts :

Metas are the most reliable indication of a game's quality. It has its' flaws but there is simply no better indicator than it. It is the aggregation of professional reviews, what else ?

GT5 is quality-wise the declining point of a series, metas might have been lowered due to the difference between the expected and the delivered, but in all honesty, the PS3 crowd has to choose :

Either uberhyping increases metas (due to the rolling tsunami of marketing versus little underpowered journalists) or uberhyping games hurt the sales (due to this very same difference between the expected and the delivered and the egocentric reviewer who decides the game must be punished).

But it certainly cannot be both - and it certainly cannot systematically be the one which better suits PS3's interests - typical example of this double standard : Halo's meta has been hightened due to over-hype / GT5's has been lowered due to over-hype)

And please oh please the "you have to play it to understand the value of a game" is the worst argument ever. Every-single bad game has had a fan (- maybe not the really bad onees as the ET games in the early 80's, although who knows ?), a fab of a bad game who would tell you it's great, especially at about 75% of its' completion.

The italics kinda destroys the metacritic argument. How professional are these reviews? The state of video games "journalism" is a joke at best. Most reviewers and writers in the industry are barely above the standard one finds in forums such as these.

I totally agree. 

The truth is I find some members on these forums far better and more accurate at reviewing games that any "expert" critic and they use less words and waffle, regardless of which console they support.

OT: Good sales for a game with a metacritic 84 rating and long may people make their minds up over the quality of a game by reading more than a metacritic review.

The question isn't about a few subjectively prefered reviews, it's about overalls, and as objective as possible

As a whole, what is more reliable ? the average opinion of all paid reviewers - or ? *nothing else* *and certainly not the few selected reviews of a random person*

That's pretty much what metacritic is.

The quality of reviews chosen are questionable at best because the quality of 90 % of video game reviews are questionable at best. Whether they're paid or not they're still "enthusiast press" rather than actual journalists or critics. Quite simply the video games industry is still too immature for quality reviewing standards. This is why Metacritic is not a good standard to measure game quality.

Absolutely none of you have been able to come up with a better indicator of quality than metas. And it seems you are not even trying. That alone makes my point.

Still, as I have faith in the human kind I'll still grant you a few other enlightments :

Publishers and the whole industry take them into account. They are proud of having high scores and disappointed when not, but not only for the effect it will have on sales, also for the pure win.

Metas being an aggregation of reviews, the pressure of Publishers PRs on journalists is disminished. The smarter people will have noticed that early reviews are higher than the ones later. That's because the exclusivity of an early copy or of an early deenbargo onthe publication of the review comes at the price, more or less implicit, that the review must be favorable ('if you believe that the game deserves an 8.7 we would be glad to let you publish this week intead of the next" is a common tactic")

Last but not least, these metas are simply the most efficient indicator possible. Professionals and not amateurs. Non-selling entities instead of publishers' PR (god knows how fans of a game can buy everything a company says for years and then claim reviewers are the mistaken ones) XD

Anyway, thanks for confirming my point

http://gametheoryonline.com/2010/07/07/why-metacritic-matters/

fighter said:

Absolutely none of you have been able to come up with a better indicator of quality than metas. And it seems you are not even trying. That alone makes my point.

Still, as I have faith in the human kind I'll still grant you a few other enlightments :

Publishers and the whole industry take them into account. They are proud of having high scores and disappointed when not, but not only for the effect it will have on sales, also for the pure win.

Metas being an aggregation of reviews, the pressure of Publishers PRs on journalists is disminished. The smarter people will have noticed that early reviews are higher than the ones later. That's because the exclusivity of an early copy or of an early deenbargo onthe publication of the review comes at the price, more or less implicit, that the review must be favorable ('if you believe that the game deserves an 8.7 we would be glad to let you publish this week intead of the next" is a common tactic")

Last but not least, these metas are simply the most efficient indicator possible. Professionals and not amateurs. Non-selling entities instead of publishers' PR (god knows how fans of a game can buy everything a company says for years and then claim reviewers are the mistaken ones) XD

like i said before until you reached level 20 a spec you cant havea minor opinion of gt5. now go derail some other thread.

also good job it took you 1 week to come up with an answer. thanks for bumping a dead thread.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

I'm glad I didn't listen to Meta, "the ultimate infalliable measure of quality," for Legend of Dragoon.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Ha! I'm actually quite surprised! I think Demon Souls would of been nicer to see but nevermind.

fighter said:

Everyones point has been that it's still not a good measure of quality. It's the best of an incredibly bad bunch. That doesn't make it a good measure.

It makes for decent PR when your games have higher meta ratings. The "pure win" comment just shows the immaturity of the industry as a whole.

I'm not sure how this is a good thing. If anything it shows that meta ratings and scores are open to certain forms of bribery and manipulation. This doesn't in any way show it's a good measure of quality, actually quite the opposite. Do you honestly think this makes meta scores accurate representations of quality?

I've already made the point that they're nearly all amateurs. Enthusiast press does not equate to professionals, especially when a lot of publishers serenade reviewers. Many publications are simply an extension of PR especially when they're paying for adverts on these supposedly professional websites. 

To be honest your post seems to confirm everything I've been saying. Your "enlightenments" just show how horrible meta scores are in the games industry.

Scoobes said:
fighter said:

Facts :

I most certainly played a lot more than those reviewers in the games I have... most of them are platinated or i couldn't bother to end 3 times a game i didn't liked tooo much... but never would give a full review playing less than 10 hours...

So we as gamers as more professional (by a huge margin) than any analyst and reviewer, and most knows games better than them.

@player: And about having a better quality measuring... ethomaz and CGI-quality have geniously gave one, gamers opinion as the game is niche and sells a lot, the people playing it more usual praise than bash. And as you like reviewers too much have you bothered to read them? because as anyone here that played we also read the reviews (below the grades, that hard part to understand, when they write with letters) and they sumarize it well: "best simulator in any console to date" so don't be fouled or try to foul anyone, the Metacritic here isn't the best way to valuate a game.

To finish about Metacritic i use it just to gauge the range of games I don't know but want to play - but can't afford to purchase or rent them all (rent in Brazil is BS) - so a game bellow 75 that i never played a prequel i won't bother paying more than 5~10 bucks... but a game 80 i can pay 20 bucks to play... and for publishers i know that just put the cream the la cream out there (Naughty Dog i.e.) i can buy a new IP without fear or metascore... And altough i never played Zelda i can understand it being at top in Meta, but couldn't care less playing any GTA no matter how high the Meta.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
fighter said:

GT5 is the highest selling PS3 exclusive based on two clear reasons, it has the largest following of any Sony franchise and it satisfied the fanbase. I'm not sure how you determine quality, but it comes off like you take the word of someone else over your own.

Let's speak hypothetically for a second - let's say quality is measured by Metacritic - when did it become the dictator of... A. what a game will do, B. what that said game's potency is in the market, and C. what it's relevance is to a brand? I ask because the basis of thread was actually quite simple, recognition and credit for what most knew would happen - Gran Turismo 5 would be PS3's highest selling exclusive in no time flat. Why then do Meta scores matter?

Are you saying sales are a better indicator than Metas or do you just not have a proposition ? (lol)

Scoobes said:
fighter said:

Everyones point has been that it's still not a good measure of quality. It's the best of an incredibly bad bunch. That doesn't make it a good measure.

It makes for decent PR when your games have higher meta ratings. The "pure win" comment just shows the immaturity of the industry as a whole.

I'm not sure how this is a good thing. If anything it shows that meta ratings and scores are open to certain forms of bribery and manipulation. This doesn't in any way show it's a good measure of quality, actually quite the opposite. Do you honestly think this makes meta scores accurate representations of quality?

I've already made the point that they're nearly all amateurs. Enthusiast press does not equate to professionals, especially when a lot of publishers serenade reviewers. Many publications are simply an extension of PR especially when they're paying for adverts on these supposedly professional websites. 

To be honest your post seems to confirm everything I've been saying. Your "enlightenments" just show how horrible meta scores are in the games industry.

no proposition either ? Thank you

Metas - still vgamings' _B3ST_ indicator of quality