By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - And the new highest selling PS3 exclusive is! Yes you guessed it GT5!

CGI-Quality said:

I think you have something backwards - in the US GT5's sales are fine (1.5 mill right now), but Japan is the letdown.

Still, many aren't factoring in that it will do better in EMEAA than GT4. Still it should do 2.5 mill in US total, and around 7 mill or so in EMEAA. That is already 9.5 mill without Japan.

Well this was my point, Japan is acceptable because its still done well in relation to other PS3 games, and will likely meet or exceed MGS4 to become the 2nd beselling game in the region. its not as high as other GTs but its still good.

imho, 7mil for EMEAA is too high, i think 5.5 maybe 6mil, but it will thus need about 3.5 or 4 mil from the US, i think thats possible, but i dont think we will be able to tell until next month or later than next month to see how its still doing.

but in the US, i think it can do 3mil because we're only 2 months and things will look different in a year. but at the moment, not so easy to say unfortunatley.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

In the US, it will need 2.5mill. Quote that. Japan's numbers are not as good as they should be, no two ways about it. It's kept up with GT4 in the US thus far, and the numbers aren't bad. In fact, in relation to Japan's numbers, they are in much better shape.

In EMEAA, it will do a tad more than GT4, because unlike GT5, GT4 launched at a time when the franchise was still growing there, but things were being shuffled towards the PS3 launch. Looking at GT4's 6.5mill, 7 mill for GT5 doesn't seem too high at all, and again is all it will need to reach the 10 million barrier, next to the US number of 2.5 mill.

You make a good point about EMEAA, i still think 3mil is possible for the US, maybe even more than that.

either way i was very concerned because of the reviews that were coming out around GT5's release, but it seems those wont be a problem now.

either way, i think GT6 will come out later in this gen, and it will do more than GT5 because Yamuchi and his crew will no doubt make the game a lot better with respect to what was criticised in those reviews. and of course PS3 userbased will be higer.

but at the moment 2 months in, if it keeps up sales momentium, i have faith it will do 10mil.

fighter said:

Honestly GT5 being PS3's best selling exclusive is not good news... As gamers we want quality to sell itself - not brands.

So, Biddles and Ulysses, you were perfectly right :

CGI-Quality said:
Biddles said:
CGI-Quality said:
Ulysses said:
Biddles said:

Such an undeserving game. MGS4 is so much better it hurts.

Agreed, and also Uncharted 2.

Considering it's a completely different type of game from both of those, it's strictly apples to oranges.

It may be a different type but the game isnt anywhere close to being as good a title as MGS4, Uncharted 2 or Heavy Rain.

Your opinion and it has no relevance at all.

Metacritic scores

MGS4 - 94

Uncharted 2 - 96

Gran Turismo 5 - 84 

Yeah so its not just my opinion GT5 aint even in the Top 100 titles.

My comment may have no relevance but it didnt stop you from rushing to its rescue to defend it did it. 

I know, Halo selling so well must suck.

You left yourself open for that one.

stopstopp said:
fighter said:

Honestly GT5 being PS3's best selling exclusive is not good news... As gamers we want quality to sell itself - not brands.

So, Biddles and Ulysses, you were perfectly right :

CGI-Quality said:
Biddles said:
CGI-Quality said:
Ulysses said:
Biddles said:

Such an undeserving game. MGS4 is so much better it hurts.

Agreed, and also Uncharted 2.

Considering it's a completely different type of game from both of those, it's strictly apples to oranges.

It may be a different type but the game isnt anywhere close to being as good a title as MGS4, Uncharted 2 or Heavy Rain.

Your opinion and it has no relevance at all.

Metacritic scores

MGS4 - 94

Uncharted 2 - 96

Gran Turismo 5 - 84 

Yeah so its not just my opinion GT5 aint even in the Top 100 titles.

My comment may have no relevance but it didnt stop you from rushing to its rescue to defend it did it. 

I know, Halo selling so well must suck.

You left yourself open for that one.

By Metascore Kill Zone is better, but why should we care if all they like is Meta. But maybe there he will use another excuse.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lol @ using meta as an example of games quality.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

WELL DESERVED!!

wow i dought that all the people hating this game even tried gt 5

meta score isn't everything so many liked mw2 over uc2 even when uc2 got game of the year!

I wonder if they're going to plug this game on Top Gear, seeing as how heavily they feature in GT5?

That would help to shift a few units I'm sure; taking the frankly massive viewership of Top Gear into account

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Facts :

Metas are the most reliable indication of a game's quality. It has its' flaws but there is simply no better indicator than it. It is the aggregation of professional reviews, what else ?

GT5 is quality-wise the declining point of a series, metas might have been lowered due to the difference between the expected and the delivered, but in all honesty, the PS3 crowd has to choose :

Either uberhyping increases metas (due to the rolling tsunami of marketing versus little underpowered journalists) or uberhyping games hurt the sales (due to this very same difference between the expected and the delivered and the egocentric reviewer who decides the game must be punished).

But it certainly cannot be both - and it certainly cannot systematically be the one which better suits PS3's interests - typical example of this double standard : Halo's meta has been hightened due to over-hype / GT5's has been lowered due to over-hype)

And please oh please the "you have to play it to understand the value of a game" is the worst argument ever. Every-single bad game has had a fan (- maybe not the really bad onees as the ET games in the early 80's, although who knows ?), a fab of a bad game who would tell you it's great, especially at about 75% of its' completion.

NotStan said:

Lol @ using meta as an example of games quality.

Lol @ what you would recommend instead