By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft embraces PS3 hacker Geohot

I don't see how supporting people that open doors to piracy and online hacking should be praised. They produce the most closed system out of the three gaming consoles and yet now all off a sudden they support the infiltration of their systems.

It's obviously a PR stunt to make themselves look great  as an open minded and generous organisation, compared to the evil Sony and Nintendo, who have made efforts to shun freedom.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

Yayaya This is what my dads job as M$ is suposed to be :D getting hackers etc on board :P Though im still pissed that he working for M$ >_> I refuse to get an xbox!!! graaaaaah

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

"If ya can't beat em, Join em."

They are embracing him because he isn't hurting them at this time. Just wait until they create something that they don't want hacked/pirateable. Watch how fast Microsoft gets pissed off and also watch them throw their weight around.

Well thats going to be a problem, if Microsoft truly embraces Geohot then Sony's legal case which is already scattershot and tenuous is pretty much dead if Microsoft's legal team get involved.

1. Microsoft can get away with nearly anything.

2. Microsoft hires Geohot.

3. Geohot working for Microsoft gets away with nearly anything.

The other thing to consider is that Microsofts systems have traditionally been more open. They give development kits out to XNA developers with close to the same rights if not the same rights as console development companies. They also don't restrict what people can develop for Windows so long as it doesn't break anything. Just because they can be a little slow and podgy doesn't mean that because their Xbox 360 is locked down, they are completely locked down likewise.

Tease.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

I don't see how supporting people that open doors to piracy and online hacking should be praised. They produce the most closed system out of the three gaming consoles and yet now all off a sudden they support the infiltration of their systems.

It's obviously a PR stunt to make themselves look great  as an open minded and generous organisation, compared to the evil Sony and Nintendo, who have made efforts to shun freedom.

Hardware wise maybe, but not in terms of software or development.  Microsoft is very open with indie developers.  See XNA.

Always keep your enemies close if you can't keep them at bay.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

PullusPardus said:

"If ya can't beat em, Join em."

Pretty much...

They know he's gonna crack things open eventually, why not help him improve WM7...

Windows Phone 7 sales are so bad that they have to on Geohot to spike interest on it.

If you can't beat 'em. Join 'em.

Microsoft is just trying to be nice and gain the respect of geohotz, but we all know what this kid is gonna do with a windows phone 7 lol....