By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's next move in the fight against piracy, we all knew it'd come to this

radiantshadow92 said:
KylieDog said:

Are people really so poor they need sell their games so much?   If you really need sell games so much to fund new ones then just join gamefly or lovefilm or whatever your country uses like that.  It is cheap and you'll get many many more games played out of it.

This shouldn't even be an issue at all for new buyers if they keep games and if you trade games in you're doing it wrong anyway, that is far from the best use of money.

Gamefly > all.

However, if this is true then gamefly won't be able to rent out games because they only work for 5 consoles right?

Bingo. So this move would force both GameStop and GameFly to basically drop PS3 support altogether, as well as any video stores that still exist that still rent video games

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
dsister said:
poroporo said:

Except that hackers can theoretically unban themselves. They _do_ have complete control over the system, remember.

Therefore, without some kind of key-based system, you can guess what's going to happen.

They have complete control over PSN? Somehow I doubt that

Doobie_wop said:

blah blah blah

I do not see how the Wii, 360, or DS have been "destroyed"

stopstopp said:

PIRACY DEFENSE SQUAD ACTIVATE!

but but piracy doesn't hurt games sales, look at black ops thats everything. Black ops=every game

but but but... I'm not defending piracy. Thankfully Sony fans are so concerned about piracy that if Sony raped their moms and said it was to prevent piracy then I'm sure most of them wouldn't mind... Which is sad really, since PS3 used to be somewhat of a good console. 2 revisions and 2 moves against piracy later and it's basically an entirely new console. 

I'm just trying to get Euphoria to say piracy hurts game sales more than the "near acceptable business"
 he makes it seem like

dsister said:
DeadNotSleeping said:

Will this affect rentals at all?

yes

Balls.

Just as DRM was fading on PCs (Torchlight, Blacklight Tango Down I think)...it's starting up on consoles!

DonFerrari said:
Squilliam said:

If you got robbed because you left the front door key under the mat then your insurance company probably won't pay out because they'd consider your lax security to be the cause for your own misfortune. I.E. you didn't take reasonable steps protect yourself from harm. Sony is the one people should blame for the negative effects from the PS3 getting hacked. Hackers will always be hackers, robbers will always exist, but people are still at least required to take reasonable steps to keep themselves away from harm.

So the last console to be hacked left it well open and easy to rob and it's Sony's fault not the hackers??? interesting point of view.

Last console to be hacked? Well they only took 6-12 months from when they seriously started trying to hack it. Linux just prevented people from wanting to make a serious attempt. No console this generation is as open as the PS3. Sure Wii hackers can get around Wii security, Xbox 360 hackers have to hunt high and low for an unupdated pre Falcon revision box but PS3 hackers can sign code as if they were Sony themselves. So how the hell can you not blame Sony when the PS3 is the most owned console in the history of owned consoles from the perspective of hackers.

Tease.

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:
NotStan said:

Well if this does wind up being true, I don't see myself buying a PS3 anymore :|, just my opinion but I like to have the option to sell games on or lend them to friends. So if you are purchasing a copy of the game from someone, and it happens to have all 5 uses used up on it, the game now becomes a useless lump of a disk? By the way what about the older games that have been released before, Uncharted 2, KZ2 etc..

Older games will be unaffected. And its a rumour, besides, you still have 5 uses this way, and you can just use a common PSN between your friends and activate the game on that. The power of the freeeeeeedom.

I am sure you will be able to play this game on any PSN account as long as you have the common account on your PS3. People use this method to play PSN games for cheaper and downloading DLCs for cheaper by dividing the costs.

I do hope that's a rumour, otherwise I'd be pretty bummered. But using that exploit is just not in in my best books imho, I pay for my shizz and I expect to have the freedom to be able to sell it on, after all it's not a digital download, you have to admit if this does come to pass, this might possibly be one of the worst decisions Sony had made this gen.

And besides, I preffer to purchase used games, unless I really want to support an independent developer or the game looks amazing and is a guaranteed first day/week purchase, in fact most of my library was used games, except for the GOTY/Limited editions, and I'd still like to have the same option on PS3, but with no way to track how many times that code has been used, the used market on PS3 might as well be dead - again, if this is indeed what is going to happen and not just an empty rumour.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

dsister said:
poroporo said:

It's all about protecting one's own investment. Your defamatory comments are not needed.

Yes, I invested in a PS3. One that could use Linux, play used games, boot stuff from USbs. Now it can't do that stuff. Well, mine can... 

Enjoy being off PSN once serials kick in.

poroporo said:

I don't have a hacked console. I haven't been on PSN since they announced the removal of otherOS. My console is 100% legit and intact.

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsister said:
poroporo said:

I don't have a hacked console. I haven't been on PSN since they announced the removal of otherOS. My console is 100% legit and intact.

Good for you, but I don't find the PS3 to be as attractive a console without an online function. Same goes for the 360, I guess.

RolStoppable said:

But if you don't go online, why do you own a console in the first place?

I don't go online on the 360 because I'm cheap

I don't have any friends on the Wii :( 

and my internet generally sucks! 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D