By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metroid prime 2 VS Metroid prime 3. (Saleswise).

ilovetogame said:
i never realized that metroid games aren't huge sellers. obviously they are very good sellers but pretty much every metroid game is touted as one of the best games of its generation and they are one of nintendo's main franchises yet the only sell 1.25 - 2.75 million each outing. the metroid series probably has the highest quality games of any franchise (metroid considered one of the best on the NES and still great today, super metroid usually considered one of the best games ever, metroid prime considered one of the best games last gen, metroid prime 2 very good, metroid prime 3 maybe the best of the primes) so the sales are surprising. i hope as more hardcore gamers get the wii over the next year or two it will drive up mp3 sales. i still haven't even bought it so hopefully theres lots more people like me who don't have it yet but is still a must buy

/i know at least why MP 2 didn't sell ... Controlls!... That's what really kept me from buying 2... And since the Wii-mote took away my greatest fear i bought MP3 at launch ...

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
jhlennon1 said:
It's expectations were high because Nintendo fans labeled it one of the "Big 3" and when you consider what Galaxy and Brawl are going to sell... MP3 is nothing but a dirt stain sale wise.

You're pretty much right. Metroid isn't really in the league of Mario or Smash Bros as a franchise.

However, there are goals which I think MP3 has achieved. First, it will pay for its development and make a profit; the first goal of any game.

Second, it broadened the library of the Wii in a way that few other games will. There really is no other franchise that offers a game experience quite like Metroid Prime. In a broader sense, it offers that 'hardcore' ~20 hour single-player action epic that is rare to find on the Wii platform. Nintendo is pumping out a Wii version of all their major franchises in the first two years in order to build that commanding, diverse library without relying on third parties. Metroid fits into that strategy, even if it isn't a blockbuster.

shams said:
Its a great game, but its no Metroid IMO. They should have turned it into a full FPS, and marketed it to the FPS crowd.

I would loved to have seen Metroid 2, with the art direction (levels are bland), polish, and controls from Metroid 3.

One day I may write up my concept ideas for what they *should* have done for Metroid on the Wii (3D in general).

I really couldn't disagree with you more. Certain aspects of the game were streamlined (exploration and weapon switching), others just generally enhanced (everything else), but if this isn't "Metroid," neither of the other Primes were either. All the core elements were intact.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Metroid isnt among Nintendo's Franchise Elite. The trifecta is the following:

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon

then nothing

and more nothing

then Metroid.

It isnt even developed by Nintendo.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I think more people will discover it in time. Piss poor advertising and its hardcore appeal are to blame for low sales.

The Wii is attracting many new people to videogames but many of them are more interested in the casual side of gaming or have a fondness and familiarity with some of the more popular game characters (Pokemon, Mario). This is slowly changing with more people becoming interested in the console they will want to do or play more with it.

Once you start playing MP3 its hard to put down, the controls are very natural and its an easier game to get into. It will not beat original MP sales.

Faxanadu said:

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon

then nothing

and more nothing

then Metroid.

Retro is a first party developer. They are 100% owned by Nintendo.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Faxanadu said:

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon

then nothing

and more nothing

then Metroid.

You know what I mean. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Darc Requiem said:
Faxanadu said:

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon

then nothing

and more nothing

then Metroid.

He means it's not internal... That Retro is owned by Nintendo is a true, but it's not being developed internally. That's what the guy meant.

THE NETHERLANDS

This goes back to my other thread regarding how much a title needs to sell in order to make a profit.
MP3 was very well done.
It will sell about 1.5 mil as most of you are saying....

Very similar to other iterations of the series.

So let's say, they needed to turn 500K-750K to turn a profit.
Then this game has the potential to do as much as 200% business if it hits 1.5 million.

What does this teach us?
Metroid fans will get a sequel, be it Wii, DS, Virtual Boy...
It proves it will make a profit for every installment just based on history.
That my friends is not a flop.
And while it may not be "Halo" or even "Nintendogs" in sales terms, it keeps
FANS happy. If you can please 1.5 million Metroid fans by releasing a game that won't nearly be as profitable as Wii"InsertTitle", then you have managed to keep a userbase that has been with you for years.

Hell, it's gonna do better then Super Metroid for godsake, which should be in everyone's top 25 of all time.
It is by no means a flop. Not once have a I heard anyone give a sales expectation from Nintendo.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

StarcraftManiac said:
Darc Requiem said:
Faxanadu said:

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon

then nothing

and more nothing

then Metroid.

He means it's not internal... That Retro is owned by Nintendo is a true, but it's not being developed internally. That's what the guy meant.

Its a Nintendo studio thats the definition of interal development. F-Zero GX wasn't developed interally it was produced by Amusement Vision (SEGA) for Nintendo. Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, etc. were produced for Nintendo by Rare. The Battalion Wars games are a more recent example as they are developed by Kuju. If Retro was a second party developer i.e. and outside company that works exclusively with Nintendo you'd both be right but they aren't.

In protest over the fact that Nintendo hasn't produced a 2D Metroid in half a decade, I wouldn't mind seeing this game sell zero copies, no matter how great it is.

Give me back my 2D Metroid, you bastards!

PS. Hunters sucked.

PPS. Any opinions stated by Rocketpig in this post should not be taken too seriously.

PPPS. Hunters still sucked and I still want my 2D Metroid.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/