By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metroid prime 2 VS Metroid prime 3. (Saleswise).

MP3 suffered a bit from being released early in the wii's lifetime. I really wanted to buy it at release but didn't cause i still couldn't find a wii. It's on my xmas list now so hopefully I get it then, otherwise i'll buy it after the holidays.

...but to say it fell "waaaay short of expectations" is stupid. MP1 was the highest selling metroid game in the entire series with a LTD of 2.77M. Metroid has never been a huge series sales wise and MP3 has a fair amount of room for growth still.

Around the Network

I skipped Echoes (until earlier this years), but I bought Corruption on day 1.

Nintendo is the reason Prime 3 didn't sell better. WTF? There was hardly any hype for Prime 3 until a couple of weeks before launch. Then, when the game did launch, they used that year old "Wii would like to play" ad campaign. Corruption should have been a mega-event, but I guess advertising to the casuals is more lucrative than selling a well made hardcore game to the hardcore.

d21lewis said:
I skipped Echoes (until earlier this years), but I bought Corruption on day 1.

Nintendo is the reason Prime 3 didn't sell better. WTF? There was hardly any hype for Prime 3 until a couple of weeks before launch. Then, when the game did launch, they used that year old "Wii would like to play" ad campaign. Corruption should have been a mega-event, but I guess advertising to the casuals is more lucrative than selling a well made hardcore game to the hardcore.

isn't that true? a hardcore gamer gets the game anyway ads or no ads.

a casual doesn't even know about a game without ads

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

MP2 sales were disappointing though. Beating them should be the minimum.

I think a lot of more hardcore games are going to have really long legs for the wii, as more hardcore gamers drift towards buying the hardware as a second console, and more casual gamers start to explore games with more depth.

Something that I have noticed with the Wii is that many of Nintendo's big franchises have been released to 'disapointing' sales and then crept along weekly until they have passed many people's sales expectations.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Mario Party 8 are probably the best examples of this ... At the rate it is going The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will probably add at least another 800,000 units and pass A Link to the Past and become the third best selling Zelda game ever from Wii sales alone; when you add in Gamecube sales it will likely pass the original to become the second best selling Zelda ever. At the same time Mario Party 8 has already become the best selling Mario Party ever and continues to sell at a steady rate, this is inspite of the fact that it is probably the worst Mario Party game ever.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
It will sell more than MP2 , but that doesnt means that it didnt fall waaaay short of expectations ...

Who's expectations?  I never read any sales predictions from either Nintendo or Retro.

Nintendo really needs to ramp up the marketing on Metroid.  It's a spectacular series and it would do much better in sales if they just put some hype behind it.  I bet if they put a marketing push behind MP3 even now it'd sell 2 million. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I don't think you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

NOE screwed MP3 in Europe because of lacking shipment, before long, the game was gone and FIFA/PES etc... all took over.

Constantly sold out for weeks because of low shipments. You can get away with that with hardware but not with software. With software, consumers just move on to something else, just look at Z&W.

hunter_alien = anti-nintendo troll

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

the game deserves to sell better,though its still selling well and should easily pass MP2 also those for MP2 are shipped not sold because when it disappeared from the charts it wasnt at 800k

jhlennon1 said:
It's expectations were high because Nintendo fans labeled it one of the "Big 3" and when you consider what Galaxy and Brawl are going to sell... MP3 is nothing but a dirt stain sale wise.

The whole "Big Three" thing was conceived by Nintendo fans, without an accurate understanding of the sales history of each franchise. Let's look at the previous installments in the (main) series for Mario, Smash Brothers, and Metroid:

Super Mario 64 Nintendo1.926.873.1011.89
Super Mario Sunshine Nintendo0.873.731.315.91

Super Smash Bros Melee Nintendo1.444.061.086.58
Super Smash Bros Nintendo1.972.930.655.55

Every 3D Mario game, and both Smash Brothers games, have sold at least 5m copies. In contrast, no Metroid game has ever sold even 3m units:
Metroid Prime Nintendo0.121.920.732.77
Metroid Nintendo1.041.350.342.73
Metroid II: Return of Samus Nintendo0.560.860.341.76
Metroid Fusion Nintendo0.181.080.291.55
Super Metroid Nintendo0.710.580.131.42
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Nintendo0.070.800.371.24

Metroid is simply not as big of a series. Like God of War, Metal Gear Solid, and many other titles, it's a "hardcore" franchise that receives Internet press far out of proportion to its actual popularity. Compared to the standard of other recent Metroid games, Corruption looks like a fairly average entry in the series. I agree that it's underperformed - I expected about 2m, and it's clearly going to end up well short of that - but this game never belonged in the same category as Galaxy or Brawl. Only diehard Nintendo fans could have seriously expected this game to sell 5m units.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)