By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Metroid prime 2 VS Metroid prime 3. (Saleswise).

Metroid prime 1. The first 3D Metroid reached, which debuted on the Gamecube sold a really solid 2.77 mil according to VGCharts. The game is currently placed in the top 10 best games of all time list on www.gametrailers.com.

It's succesor didn't quite do so well although still being a brilliant game. A lot of people have been complaining about the fact that the 3th iteration of the prime series, published on the Wii, was on track to do the worst numbers of the series. But lets just have a look at things and put things in perspective:

Metroid Prime 2 VS Metroid Prime 3.

1) Total sales as of 17-12-2007 (DD-MM-YYYY).

-Metroid Prime 2: 1.24 million (Japan: 70k / USA: 800k / EU: 370k)

-Metroid Prime 3: 0.88 million (Japan: None / USA: 580k / EU: 300k).

Metroid Prime 3 has yet to be released in Japan (total sales won't be higher than 100k looking at the other versions) and the game is still climbing at a rate of 50k a week according to this graph: http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?page=2&date=39425&console=&maker=. Metroid Prime 3 is allocated at the 61st spot.

2) Both MP2 and MP3 released in or just before the holiday season. (MP2 in September/October and MP3 August/September). These months have about the same sellthrough software and hardware wise.

-Metroid Prime 2: 139.260.

-Metroid Prime 3: 254.157. 

Europe:

-Metroid Prime 2: unknown.

-Metroid Prime 3: 96.353

3) Where were the games in their 10th and 15th week on store shelves in the US:

10th week: 

Rank     System        Name                                                                 Publisher               Week/Sold        Total sold  

MP2:

22         GC               Metroid Prime 2: Echoes                                    Nintendo               10    /901          514.825.

MP3:

58         Wii              Metroid Prime 3: Corruption                               Nintendo                10   /10.462     485.221.

Looking at these stats shows one that Metroid Prime 2 is tracking sligthly above MP3. Having already cracked the 500k mark whilst MP3 is currentely selling at a rate that is 11.5 times higher than that of MP2's in the same stage.

15th week:

Rank     System        Name                                                                 Publisher               Week/Sold        Total sold  

MP2: 

17         GC              Metroid Prime 2: Echoes                                     Nintendo               15     /3.550      536.963.

MP3: 

75         Wii              Metroid Prime 3: Corruption                               Nintendo               15     /17.866    575.883.

Metroid Prime 3 is already tracking higher than Metroid Prime 2. The difference is ~40k now. Currently, Metroid Prime 3 is selling at a rate that is approximately 5x higher than that of Metroid Prime 2.

Looking at the rank of the 2 games (Metroid Prime 2 at 17 whilst only selling 3550 units that week and Metroid Prime 3 at 75 whilst selling 17866 units that week) shows the market was in a really slow period during the late years of the PS2/Xbox/GC era. A reason could be that the 15th week for Metroid Prime 2 was AFTER the holidays but the post-Christmas months in 2006 and 2007 have been considerably better in selling Software.

With Metroid Prime 3 selling at a rate of 50k a week still whilst having done 0.88 million thusfar and selling way better at this stage then Metroid Prime 2 was suggests that this title is going to pass Metroid Prime 2 easily. I guess the game will end up somewhere around 1.5 million making it a moddest succes for such a high-profile title and.

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

It will sell more than MP2 , but that doesnt means that it didnt fall waaaay short of expectations ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I enjoyed both MP and MP2 more than MP3, but love my game.

hunter_alien said:
It will sell more than MP2 , but that doesnt means that it didnt fall waaaay short of expectations ...

how is it below expectations when it outperforms its predescessor? i certainly didn't expect anything more.

Perhaps if it was on the PSP it would be an perfect game, but not on the Wii. Right Hunter Alien?

Around the Network

It doesn't quite matter; the (arguably) best in the series, didn't sell best of the 3. That makes me sad...

Good analysis. I also expect MP3 to end up at about 1.5 millions, the growing userbase of the Wii together with the expectation that there won't be another MP game anytime soon will lead decent attach rates over the next year.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I thought it was an amazing game! When I first turned it on I was amazed that something that looked this good was on the Wii. I played for a few hours and then went back to have a look at the original 2 MP’s and they were nothing in comparison! MP1 was a muddy blur when compared to the clarity and crispness of MP3’s graphics and the original controls were so restrictive that looking back they actually inhibited game play.

I would have liked a few more ancient stone ruins and jungles and that and a little less space station game time but who can complain! The space stations and ships interiors look fantastic! Just like MP1 did when it first came out the game has far exceeded graphical and artistic expectations while pushing the controls to a new level.

It would be a disappointment if the game doesn’t outsell MP2 but I think as more people realise how good the game is they will buy it. So it should maintain a good steady flow of sales like it is

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

It's expectations were high because Nintendo fans labeled it one of the "Big 3" and when you consider what Galaxy and Brawl are going to sell... MP3 is nothing but a dirt stain sale wise.

sales is flop , gamewise is top
gonna get it in 2008^^

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.