By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: PSP2 to use Mini Blu-ray discs

miz1q2w3e said:
dany612 said:

I guess this revolves around the idea that Sony said that it would be as powerful as a ps3. So mini blue ray confirmed? LOL nah (but knowing Sony) it would be kind of stupid of them to do that. SD cards are way faster and just easy to handle.

Will it be backwards compatible though? If so then they'll need that disc based storage. 

Good point, I think that's a very important factor to consider

On one hand if they want to have full BC they'll need to have a disk drive --> sucks more battery & more bulky...etc
On the other hand, no full BC --> old PSP customers have no extra reason to buy it instead of 3DS :/

your last line makes no sense. Then people wouldn't have bought PS2 either. If there are good new games people will buy it

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
disolitude said:

This is beyond fail if true.

Disks = load time...time something you dont have when on the go.

The second reason why my PSP is modded(first being emulators) is because it games load twice as fast and battery lasts longer when UMD isn't used.

Exactly, that's the #1 reason why i modded my PSP. Dumping all my UMDs in memory brings less noise, best loading and more battery life, and those are things that you want on a portable device, Sony needs to understand that, no mechanical devices for the PSP2...

I think thats true since Sony certainly will make it compatible with PSP UMD I think for PSP2 they will be using a new generation of UMD that contains mini blu-ray disc inside, and since a single layer has that capacity a Dual layer mini blu-ray disc can store up to 15.6 GB, wich make it perfect for larger games

ryuatsui said:

I think thats true since Sony certainly will make it compatible with PSP UMD I think for PSP2 they will be using a new generation of UMD that contains mini blu-ray disc inside, and since a single layer has that capacity a Dual layer mini blu-ray disc can store up to 15.6 GB, wich make it perfect for larger games

UMD is already based on Blu-ray tech and is duel layer at 1.8GB they are not going to use a jumbo UMD at 8CM the highest UMD could go in time for the PSP2 is quad layer ~3.6GB UMD that would have the very slight advantage of backwards compatibility but the advantages of a Flash cart based solution far out ways that and SONY haven't been to worried about backwards compatibility lately and the advantages financially  of keeping PSN backwards compatibility that will allow people to re buy their favourite  psp games digitally seems like the most likely solution, at least all the PSP go owners will be happy when their library carries over...

Edit I should point out tho that while the UMD is bassed on some Blu-ray tech it doesn't use an expensive blue laser diode, but does use some of the disc manufacturing techniques to improve data density...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

M.U.G.E.N said:
miz1q2w3e said:
dany612 said:

I guess this revolves around the idea that Sony said that it would be as powerful as a ps3. So mini blue ray confirmed? LOL nah (but knowing Sony) it would be kind of stupid of them to do that. SD cards are way faster and just easy to handle.

Will it be backwards compatible though? If so then they'll need that disc based storage. 

On one hand if they want to have full BC they'll need to have a disk drive --> sucks more battery & more bulky...etc
On the other hand, no full BC --> old PSP customers have no extra reason to buy it instead of 3DS :/

your last line makes no sense. Then people wouldn't have bought PS2 either. If there are good new games people will buy it

keyword *extra* - - - - - They won't have any extra incentive to get a PSP2 over a 3DS if the games are equally desirable if they're gonna start off from scratch anyways

Question for you: Wouldn't you rather keep your PSN account on your new console with all your personal stuff..etc? That's definitely extra incentive to buy console A over console B

Understand?

Around the Network
disolitude said:

The second reason why my PSP is modded(first being emulators) is because it games load twice as fast and battery lasts longer when UMD isn't used.

This does sound like something Sony would do.  I cried a little when I read the title.

Im with you on the PSP mod.  Exactly the same reason I modded mine.  UMD = Loud, Battery Draining and Slow.  3 things no on wants while on the go.

when they announced that its going to be download only , you whine and then this happens you whine again.

gamers are very whiny...

miz1q2w3e said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
miz1q2w3e said:
dany612 said:

keyword *extra* - - - - - They won't have any extra incentive to get a PSP2 over a 3DS if the games are equally desirable if they're gonna start off from scratch anyways

Question for you: Wouldn't you rather keep your PSN account on your new console with all your personal stuff..etc? That's definitely extra incentive to buy console A over console B

Understand?

lol I like your lil 'understand' there at the end

you could have worded it better, but the thing is, you also said 'old' customers, then chances are they already have a psp in the first place. I'm not saying it will be a good thing to not have full bc, cuz it surely will be a great addition. But My personal stuff on the PSN will be without a doubt be usable on the PSP2. The only problem will be my UMD library. Anyways we don't know what games there will be for psp2 to see if they will find them 'equally' desirable. so it's too early for these. If not one can even say region lock mess on the 3DS will give psp2 an additional incentive to be picked up by potential users. I'm a psp/ds owner. If Sony can show me some games I genuinly like, then I'll get it.

So what I'm trying to say here is, if they have good games, ones people find desirable, they won't need an 'extra' incentive, cuz from the news coming in some would say they have enough incentives to buy psp2 over 3DS already.

anywho again this is useless banter :D we know jack *&%^ about psp2

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Ssenkahdavic said:
disolitude said:

This does sound like something Sony would do.  I cried a little when I read the title.

Im with you on the PSP mod.  Exactly the same reason I modded mine.  UMD = Loud, Battery Draining and Slow.  3 things no on wants while on the go.

heh, indeed...cool avatar BTW.

PlaystaionGamer said:

its clearly going to use SD cards, i thought this would be obvious?.. wow

agreed.

blu ray is way too expensive, no way they are going to put that in a handheld.