By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: PSP2 to use Mini Blu-ray discs

considering the "success" of the d/l only PSP go, I wouldn't be too surprised that some form of disk or at least a version of PSP2 that supports disks is released

There might be a good chance that Sony would release both a disk based and a diskless version, see which one moves better and drop the other somewhere down the line and continue development of whichever one is more successful.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

bluray mini discs hold 8gbs of data. With 4x read speed it would work nicely.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

disolitude said:

This is beyond fail if true.

Disks = load time...time something you dont have when on the go.

The second reason why my PSP is modded(first being emulators) is because it games load twice as fast and battery lasts longer when UMD isn't used.

While I definitely agree that not having a mini Blu-ray drive would help with battery life, you can't really assume that the load times for the PSP2 would be the same as the the PSP or even hinder gaming on the road.  I mean Blu-ray can transfer data at roughly 3 times faster than DVD (I'm guessing UMD read speeds are basically the same as DVD) at the same rotation speed.  It would also potentially make BC with PSP easier if they did go with mini Blu-ray, or a "micro" Blu-ray.

Having said that, I would still prefer them choose to go with games on Memory Sticks.  It would help with keeping the cost of the system down, as well as aid with battery life.

thismeintiel said:
disolitude said:

This is beyond fail if true.

Disks = load time...time something you dont have when on the go.

The second reason why my PSP is modded(first being emulators) is because it games load twice as fast and battery lasts longer when UMD isn't used.

While I definitely agree that not having a mini Blu-ray drive would help with battery life, you can't really assume that the load times for the PSP2 would be the same as the the PSP or even hinder gaming on the road.  I mean Blu-ray can transfer data at roughly 3 times faster than DVD (I'm guessing UMD read speeds are basically the same as DVD) at the same rotation speed.  It would also potentially make BC with PSP easier if they did go with mini Blu-ray, or a "micro" Blu-ray.

Having said that, I would still prefer them choose to go with games on Memory Sticks.  It would help with keeping the cost of the system down, as well as aid with battery life.

even if it was 3x faster with the PSP2 reportadly in the same league as the PS360 that's like 4-5x the amount of texture data etc so yes slower read speeds, add in the additional measures of laser stabilisation and reduced spin speed to maintain stream integrity during the sudden movements and unstable orientation of a portable and you have longer load times...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

ssj12 said:

bluray mini discs hold 8gbs of data. With 4x read speed it would work nicely.

so a jumbo a handheld bigger than the already considered large PSP with somehow a disc drive twice as fast as the PS3's?..

Not what I would call nice

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

LOL, if true, the battery will last for 5 minutes.

Obviously it will use some sort of flash memory.

The download option would probably work better here than with the PSPgo since not all PSP games were offered for download whereas here they could have games available to download from the start.

Still, do they really have to keep using disks? Why not flash memory so the battery will last longer?

Would it just be possible for Sony to put their games on their own Pro Stick Duo?  Of course incrypt it in a way that the mem card cant be read on PC and only on the PSP2 etc.. or something of that sort for anti-pirating purpose.

If Sony decides to put PSP2 games on a disc-base media then they should at least give owners the option to copy the entire game onto the PSP2's HDD/mem stick on one account only, to allow better loading time and battery saving. 

dany612 said:

I guess this revolves around the idea that Sony said that it would be as powerful as a ps3. So mini blue ray confirmed? LOL nah (but knowing Sony) it would be kind of stupid of them to do that. SD cards are way faster and just easy to handle.

Will it be backwards compatible though? If so then they'll need that disc based storage. 

Sony can easily release all PSP games on the PSN and then just emulate them on the PSP2.

Maybe the rumours of the PSP2 costing $399 at launch are also true?

Tease.