By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: PSP2 to use Mini Blu-ray discs

snfr said:
RafaelOrix said:
snfr said:

I guess it wouldn't be bulkier than the original PSP was (and I didn't have any problems with it). But we'll see.

Yeah, you are right about that, the original PSP is just fine but that's because they designed partially around the UMD reader. But from that screens of the supposed PSP2 it appears the system does not have any disc reader and if they add a reader now it would probably mean something a little bigger. Of course, if those images were real.

Well, I think that the PSP2's design still wasn't finished (in the leaked pics), and they had heating issues anyway, so the PSP2 could look completely different in the end. If the rumours about the possible reveal of the PSP2 on January 27th are true then we don't have to wait long till we see it.

Oh yeah, you are right about the heating thing and design, forgot about it, and I really hope to see the PSP2 on january 27.

Around the Network

... If this is true then I just give up on this system...

Seems likely it will happen. but how much is this thing going to cost, with a power threshold similar to the PS3.

That would be the final nail in the coffin for the PSP2. lol

anyone who thinks that this could possibly be true or idiotically that mini blu-ray is a good idea needs to get out a ruler and see how big 8CM is. The original PSP fat is 7CM wide! can you imagine a "handheld" that is at least 3CM wider than that? I mean common it's just not practical at all. And that is ignoring the power needed to spin a disc that size at an acceptable rate and the cost of the drive, and that is still not mentioning the reason that UMDs have a protective case, handhelds tend to be jerked around a lot now you know how knocking a Xbox 360 can cause the disc to get all scratched up? imagine that every time you make a sudden move while playing...

Fking stupid, whoever makes up these stupid rumours is ether an idiot or a troll.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Hope its not true, the card thing is the way to go, but really you can have disc and not have long loading times, the devs just have to put in optional data installs. MGS Peace Walker, Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts all did it, and it works like a charm

Why in gods name would they do such a thing?  For one Blu-Ray (mini) would suck up so much juice they would have to have a gigantor battery to operate the damnd thing.  Add in associated costs and then moving parts (which are fairly easy to break) then you have major problems along with a higher cost.

I wish they would just do a standard SD or Mini SD card which would reduce cost, add battery life, and do away with Sony's proprietary solutions.  If they wanted they could make kiosks in major department stores where you can take your SD card in pay for the game you like and then transfer it to your PSP 2 all at a discounted price.   That would be about a million times better than Mini Blu-Rays.  But hay thats just my $.02....

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

I guess this revolves around the idea that Sony said that it would be as powerful as a ps3. So mini blue ray confirmed? LOL nah (but knowing Sony) it would be kind of stupid of them to do that. SD cards are way faster and just easy to handle.

Will it be backwards compatible though? If so then they'll need that disc based storage. 

zarx said:

anyone who thinks that this could possibly be true or idiotically that mini blu-ray is a good idea needs to get out a ruler and see how big 8CM is. The original PSP fat is 7CM wide! can you imagine a "handheld" that is at least 3CM wider than that? I mean common it's just not practical at all. And that is ignoring the power needed to spin a disc that size at an acceptable rate and the cost of the drive, and that is still not mentioning the reason that UMDs have a protective case, handhelds tend to be jerked around a lot now you know how knocking a Xbox 360 can cause the disc to get all scratched up? imagine that every time you make a sudden move while playing...

Fking stupid, whoever makes up these stupid rumours is ether an idiot or a troll.

You are so right about everything.

dany612 said:

I guess this revolves around the idea that Sony said that it would be as powerful as a ps3. So mini blue ray confirmed? LOL nah (but knowing Sony) it would be kind of stupid of them to do that. SD cards are way faster and just easy to handle.

Will it be backwards compatible though? If so then they'll need that disc based storage. 

Good point, I think that's a very important factor to consider

On one hand if they want to have full BC they'll need to have a disk drive --> sucks more battery & more bulky...etc
On the other hand, no full BC --> old PSP customers have no extra reason to buy it instead of 3DS :/