By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect Interactive Comic for PS3 is fail.

Actually, I just watched the 2nd half and all it did was make me want to play ME 1 again... unfortunately I am very busy with Fallout 3 and Mirror's Edge, so after that. And then I have to find time to play ME 2 PS3 (and then go and get my 100% in ME 1 on 360), too many games!

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
Munkeh111 said:

Actually, I just watched the 2nd half and all it did was make me want to play ME 1 again... unfortunately I am very busy with Fallout 3 and Mirror's Edge, so after that. And then I have to find time to play ME 2 PS3 (and then go and get my 100% in ME 1 on 360), too many games!

I hear that man! As for 100% ME1... well the "Complete the game with an X teammate" Achievements are a pain and seem very random. I beat the entire game 3 times through with Garrus before I got that achievement but then got theone for Tali when only half way through a play through and my first time ever using her.

I've got 2 of those left and the engineer class ones and I'll be done !... Oh wait. I forgot about the second DLC... Hmm... I can't wait to be done my undergrad and blow through another couple Mass Effect 1 play throughs.

I have got a list of sidequests that one has to do to get through the "majority of the game" with the minimum effort. What's worst is that I had a save with Wrex just before the point of no return, and I decided that it would be a good idea to delete it.

Yeah, so I had 2 more playthroughs one as an engineer with 2 squad mates, and then I think I just have to use Wrex for my 5th playthrough, and finally do it on the hardest difficulty

There were some good things about the achievements, in game rewards, but they are just stupid. I much preferred the ME 2 ones, only required 2 playthroughs (which is what I planned anyway) and allowed me to have fun changing my squad mates most missions {until I got Legion and Thane to make my all sniper party}

trasharmdsister12 said:
Munkeh111 said:

I have got a list of sidequests that one has to do to get through the "majority of the game" with the minimum effort. What's worst is that I had a save with Wrex just before the point of no return, and I decided that it would be a good idea to delete it.

Yeah, so I had 2 more playthroughs one as an engineer with 2 squad mates, and then I think I just have to use Wrex for my 5th playthrough, and finally do it on the hardest difficulty

There were some good things about the achievements, in game rewards, but they are just stupid. I much preferred the ME 2 ones, only required 2 playthroughs (which is what I planned anyway) and allowed me to have fun changing my squad mates most missions {until I got Legion and Thane to make my all sniper party}

Sweet! After my first playthrough of ME2 I already had all but 2 of the achievements (beat it on insane... I did it on the second hardest) and get 30 kills after melee attacking an enemy.

I enjoyed ME1 waaaaaay more than ME2. A lot of people hated the Mako but I spent countless hours just finding impossible cliffs to climb and then finding a way up. I also missed the inventory in ME2 more than I could have ever imagined. I hated that I couldn't completely buff out my Shepard to the point of invincibility in ME2. In ME1 I have two different Shepards where the assault rifle/shotgun never overheats and I'm in a constant state of Immunity. I've also got all the best guns and armor sets for them. I hope they bring inventory back in ME3 and add some of the skill and talent tree stuff back. I'm not big on traditional RPG's but I found ME1 to be the perfect balance between action game and RPG.

It is a list that should work, so I am not convinced

Yeah, I actually quite enjoyed the Mako too, though I did the Hammerhead missions recently as part of a DLC round-up and they were much better

The inventory system was one of the things that really bothered me, there was too much clutter and too many things to organise, and things like this mean that I only really bother with a set party, because having to equip everyone is just too much of a pain

FEROS

THE THORIAN

THE COLONISTS

THE GETH

Dear god. Arguably one of the most important moral choice in the game, an enormous plot segment, the enemies that you are fighting for well over half the game, just completely ignored.

Anderson is quite clearly not happy to be giving up his ship. It is assigned to you by Udina and the Council.

Also missing is a lot of context for the decisions. You don't get to know your crew, so you can't really choose a love interest with as much confidence, and the same goes for leaving either Ashley or Kaidan to die. You don't hear what the Rachni queen says to you. You don't have all of those meetings with the Council where they call you an idiot and continually deny everything you claim. You don't talk to Udina and Anderson and see how they think, and what they want for humanity, the Council and the Citadel.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

trasharmdsister12 said:
Munkeh111 said:

Sweet! After my first playthrough of ME2 I already had all but 2 of the achievements (beat it on insane... I did it on the second hardest) and get 30 kills after melee attacking an enemy.

I enjoyed ME1 waaaaaay more than ME2. A lot of people hated the Mako but I spent countless hours just finding impossible cliffs to climb and then finding a way up. I also missed the inventory in ME2 more than I could have ever imagined. I hated that I couldn't completely buff out my Shepard to the point of invincibility in ME2. In ME1 I have two different Shepards where the assault rifle/shotgun never overheats and I'm in a constant state of Immunity. I've also got all the best guns and armor sets for them. I hope they bring inventory back in ME3 and add some of the skill and talent tree stuff back. I'm not big on traditional RPG's but I found ME1 to be the perfect balance between action game and RPG.

Mass Effect's inventory was really overwhelming by the end. It's something I missed to begin with, but I soon realised that ME2 was better without it. You would just end up stockpiling dozens of useless weapons, armour pieces and upgrades in the vain hope that they might become useful at some point.

What I did miss:

• Free exploration of the Presidium. It's the nicest part of the Citadel!
  • Hotkeys. Really no excuse here. Pressing J is easier than pressing Esc and clicking Journal.
  • Separate cooldowns. I'm not saying this doesn't work in ME2, I just prefer the old system. It made you vary your biotic use a lot more. Especially with all of the shielded people, I was using almost nothing but Warp and Singularity, with the occasional Throw. Stuff like Shockwave and Pull seemed awesome, but I rarely got the chance to use either.

In the end, though, I felt that the improvements far outweighed the "negative" changes.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
Munkeh111 said:

I thought you only ran into Cerberus in some of the side quests?

That is correct. Also Anderson does decide to step down as captain of the Normandy so that you can take control after you become a Spectre so I don't get the complaint about that in the OP. The age thing for Alenko is also being blown WAAAAAAAY out of proportion. I do agree that completely omitting the geth and Feros are pretty lame.

I'd still recommend those looking to pick up the game on PS3 enjoy the first on 360 or PC before they go through ME2. ME 1 is my favourite game this gen and ME2 paled heavily in comparison IMO.

For those getting their first taste of the ME franchise with the launch of the PS3 version, welcome to a great new universe. I hope you enjoy it!

Anderson didn't decide to step down. He was "asked" to step down. The Alenko thing was a minor point but it was indicative of bigger issues. Factual errors out the yin/yang. There was no way for a 15 minute comic accurate relay all of ME1. However that is enough time to mention the major points of the game. Also they could have at least made sure what they did mention was factually accurate. Alenko, Garrus, and Tali all have inaccurate descriptions that anyone that played the first hour of ME1 could have gotten right. Yes, you can miss any mention of Cerberus but there are multiple sidequests with Cerberus tie ins. You can miss Wrex too. Doesn't mean that he shouldn't be mentioned.

Imo Mass Effect 2 is one of those great games every gamer deserves to experience, not pissed at all with the fact that it's going multiplatform, will be interesting how it performs on PS3 though, sales wise.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Thinking a 20 minute comic substitutes playing the game anyway is a bad idea. Nevermind that anybody playing this game straight up will lose the impact that the first 30 minutes of the game have. But the major problem I have with this intro is that it's essentially BioWare implying that the first Mass Effect didn't really matter a whole lot except for a few key plot points (which it looks like they couldn't even include all of the key plot points anyway). I think that people will have a hard time remembering people from the comic outside of Shepard and a few characters, thus all its impact will be lost. Not to mention the boredom factor. 20 minute cutscenes, interactive or not, are not one of the reasons I play WRPGs.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Darc Requiem said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Sholities said:

@OkeyDokey

You're mind is really hazy because she wasn't being arrested. She had footage that Saren didn't want getting out, so she went to the Shadow Broker for protection and was almost caught by a traitor before you save her.

From Mass Effect wiki:

"She recovered a file from its audio banks that revealed Saren Arterius was behind the attack on Eden Prime, but possessing the file put her in grave danger. She was pursued by Saren's forces, and escaped to the Citadel"

Sounds like a fugitive to me...

You might want to look up the definition of fugitive. She committed no crime, she didn't escape incarneration, etc. etc.

I think YOU should.

fugitive [ˈfjuːdʒɪtɪv]

n
1. a person who flees
2. a thing that is elusive or fleeting

adj

1. fleeing, esp from arrest or pursuit
2. not permanent; fleeting; transient

3. moving or roving about

--OkeyDokey-- said:

This is for people who haven't played the first game. A few minor details altered and irrelevant events left out isn't going to hurt anyone. And my memory of ME1 might be a little hazy, but if Tali isn't a fugitive why is she about to be arrested when you first meet her?

That's exactly who this shouldn't be used for.  Those of us who already beat ME can use this comic in place of replaying ME for a new ME2 save file with new decisions. Those who didn't will get an awful, mangled story from this with zero context or connection to the characters, universe, or even large portions of the real plot (the Geth are pretty fucking huge).