By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the PS3 win without NA?

I expect about 200k for ps3 in NA and 300k(yes it will outsell the wii in NA again) for X360.

IN other words they will be = again, unless ps3 sells more than 50k in japan.

mM
Around the Network
patriot7mejr said:
DOWN WITH SONY!

That and your other comments have earned you a week ban...quit the trolling.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Could The PS3 win without the US?. Yes it can. it is very possible. Her look at the DS

20.60M Japan
18.39M America
21.21M Others

North America is its weakest market and yet it will sell way more than the PSP even without the US it has already done this. In fact it hasn't really been until this year that the US started to catch up Europe and Japan.

that said it still has to perform amazingly well in Europe and can not just hang in there for WW totals to exceed the 360 and sales will start to slide in a month or two and I can't see Sony pulling out another price drop for a Sales Spike*the timing of the last price drop was great.

MS can still play the price drop game.

If this question came up a year ago, I would say "definitely".  Unfortunately the Japanese market is quite unpredictable in its console purchases.  We all know that they aren't going to buy any 360s.  The big question is, are they going to buy enough PS3s overall?

I will say that it is possible for the PS3 to win without NA.  I think it is more likely that North American tastes will change and it won't matter 5 years from now anyway.  In the end, I think Microsoft's faulty hardware will be a bigger mistake than Sony's lack of games, bad advertising, and forcing expensive bluray down the public's throats.    

PDF said:
Can the PS3 win the holidays without NA? and Can it be declared the console winner without NA.

between the 360 and ps3 of course. the Wii is not part of this question. It is taken out of the equation.

I think a better way to phrase your question is "Can the PS3 come in second place without North America."

No, of course not.   It needs its North American sales to push it above the 360, if it does indeed finish above the 360.  That said, it doesn't need to have more sales than the 360 in North America to have more sales world wide.  This simple: at the moment the PS3 is outselling the 360 pretty much everywhere outside of North America.  The 360's weakness is that it doesn't sell well outside of North America and the UK.

Around the Network

I see alot of blind hope and alot of naysaying in this thread. Sony will continue on, but it won't be the winner of this generation by a long shot. Only if the PS4 has such troubles or things get worse for the PS3 (which seems unlikely) will Sony give up on console gaming.

The majority of quality titles on the PS3 can also be had on the 360 and with far less glitches and problems too. In addition, time and time again the "killer" exclusives for the Ps3 have fallen pitifully short in either sales or quality. While the biggest guns are yet to come, the N64 paints an elloquent picture of how having a handful of must have titles isn't enough to compensate for the over-arching lack of appeal and diversity in a game library. And no matter how good HOME is, the 360 has too much of a head start advantage in terms of a refined and polished online service for Sony to usurp them. The PS3 simply isn't a console with much distinguishing appeal outside of being able to play Blu-Ray.

In the end, we must ask ourselves what is there to the PS3 that makes its unique hardware worth the money when developers are just going to develop games to the much simpler standard of the 360 and then just port them to the Ps3 regardless.

As for the PS3's upcomming exclusives.

Gran Turismo is a big title, but not the huge seller it used to be as we can clearly see with the sales of GT4 vs the userbase of the PS2.

Killzone 2 earns little confidence outside the circles of Sony hopefuls, the original failed to instill any fondness in the franchise, you'll be lucky if the second can get people to give the series a second chance on graphics alone.

MGS4 is a very hyped instalment in a rather low key franchise so it has earned a great deal of interest in gamers far and wide but at the moment it remains uncertain how it will fair. If the first year of this generation is any indication, anything can happen. There is little doubt in the minds of many that this will appear on the 360 in at least some way shape or form so its hard to say how many will play the game of chicken in passing on getting the PS3 version.

God of War 3 is a huge title, but after God of War 2 failed to give gamers a new or unique experince from the first and litters the market with countless unsold copies it'll be a gamble as to how well the third instalment fairs. Let's just hope its a longer game than heavenly sword.

Final Fantasy XIII... All I have to say is... FFXI - "Fool me once, shame on you", FFXII - "Fool me twice, shame on me", FFXIII - "I won't be fooled a third time."

The PS3 needs to continually outsell the 360 by a decent margin for the next 6 months to have a chance of doing this.

The PS3 has sold about 3m in Europe compared to the 360's 4.5m or so. In it has managed to sell 3m in 9 months, which is amazing considering it has taken the 360 2 years to get 4.5m.

The PS3 is also 1m clear ahead of the 360 in Japan and this margin will continue to rise over the coming weeks/months.

The PS3 also needs to close the gap on the 360 in NA. It needs to keep up with the 360 in sales to have a chance.

In short, yes the PS3 can outsell the 360 with just Europe and Japan, but it will take a bit of time.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)