By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation expansion into China planned!!!!

I would go with the ideas of posters above. Introduce the Chinese to the PS2 and its vast library just to test the water.. But then again, I know little to nothing about the policies in China.

Around the Network

oh and guys, found the thread I was talking about

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=118107

so yeah coincidence? ;)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

PS3 = 1,000,000,000 Salez Confirmedz ?!

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

china bad idea ,,,..http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_sof_pir_rat-crime-software-piracy-rate

Software piracy rate (most recent) by country
# 18    ...........82 %

Americant_heroxbox said:

china bad idea ,,,..http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_sof_pir_rat-crime-software-piracy-rate

Software piracy rate (most recent) by country
# 18    ...........82 %

Taking out 82% of their 1.3billion people you still get 234 million. :D

Besides, it's not like piracy will get worse, security is getting better. Also PC is so easy to pirate no wonder it is that high.

Around the Network

The PS2 was already released in China in 2004, it was a disaster because of piracy. 

The PS3 is already available there just not through legal means...there may be some success since PS3 games are more difficult to pirate.

Joelcool7 said:

Well theirs a few hurtles Sony has to over come.

First hurtle, home consoles are pretty much banned in China. Gaming is also heavily policed with a set amount of time a day a person can legally play games. This will make it difficult for Sony to bring PSP/2 and PS3/4 to China. Also gaming in China is riddled with piracy and internet cafe's where gamers go to play their games. How will Sony get those gamers to abandone PC's and enter console gaming. Then theirs PSN, China heavily polices the internet in their country and Sony would have to give the Government access to their servers and information so that the police and Government could monitor PSN activity.

Thats just the first hurtle. The second one is to my knowledge the Chinese Government demands that any foreign company partner with a Chinese company to distribute products in their country. The State has their fingers in almost every company in the country. Nintendo couldn't bring their consoles (Handhelds or Home) to China without teaming up with Dr.Wei Yen and a Chinese nationalized company I-Que had to be formed.

That is alot of hurdles for Sony to over come. I remember Iwata announced the Wii was coming to China ages ago. However since it never did I assume the red tape stopped them. If Sony does actually manage to bring the PS brand to China it will probubly be a similiar move to Nintendo a new Chinese company will need to be started and the chinese PSN will need to be unlinked to the rest of PSN or the Chinese Government will want access to Sony's servers and information.

In the end Google was driven out of China will Sony put up with the Chinese Government and go through all the red tape? If they do , will it really be worth it?

Because of this, it might be easier then if they only wanted to sell their stuff there:

"...detailing plans to implement training and R&D facilities in Guangzhou province. The project is apparently "the first investment by SCEI in the mainland."

In addition to localization, Sony plans on developing games in the region. Facilitating homegrown content for local markets follows the standard set by Sony's other recent expansions into India and South America."

I live in China, i'm Chinese...just want to tell you guys that both the PS3 and the 360 have been available here since launch. Nothing is really changing, just making it official. Both consoles are made here after all. The only real barrier to buying a ps3  in the chinaman's eyes has been the lack of piracy. Why pay 2500Y for a console and then 500Y for a game?....thats why the 360 is so prolific here while the ps3 has languished. Nobody plays ps2 here anymore, not for years! Things get old quick in China! Though that is changing with the jailbreak USB mod. Just thought you ought to know ~_~

Joelcool7 said:

Well theirs a few hurtles Sony has to over come.

First hurtle, home consoles are pretty much banned in China. Gaming is also heavily policed with a set amount of time a day a person can legally play games. This will make it difficult for Sony to bring PSP/2 and PS3/4 to China. Also gaming in China is riddled with piracy and internet cafe's where gamers go to play their games. How will Sony get those gamers to abandone PC's and enter console gaming. Then theirs PSN, China heavily polices the internet in their country and Sony would have to give the Government access to their servers and information so that the police and Government could monitor PSN activity.

There is no law here prohibiting or limiting the use of game consoles here...though xbox live doesnt work well behind the great firewall of china. This country is full of gaming addicts...My crew used to enjoy power marathons of warcraft and CS all day all night in the netbars. Thats a common thing and no one stops them- no law against being a hardcore gamer

However, for better or worse, there is a law that states all foreign companies must create a joint venture with a local outfit in order to fully access the market...thats we have the I-QUE DS.

isnt PlayStation already in China?