By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 Sells 560.5K in December's NPD

Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gran-turismo-sells-5605k-in-december/

After being delayed numerous times, Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo 5 finally made it out on time for this past holiday season, and Sony proudly announced that the game had alreadyshipped 5.5 million units worldwide (1.25 million of those were shipped to North America). Having hit U.S. store shelves on November 24, the racer placed only eighth on the November top 10 NPD chart

As Sony's primary 'AAA' PS3 title for the holiday season, the hope was that GT5 would accelerate in December, but the title didn't make the top 10. NPD has revealed to IndustryGamers that it sold 560.5K units in December. That's not terrible, but it's certainly less than what you'd expect for a heralded franchise like Gran Turismo

The one thing we'd point out, however, is that like many Wii titles, Gran Turismo is one of those "evergreen" games that will no doubt be picked up by more PS3 owners as the installed base grows. So GT5 will eventually put up some very solid numbers.

Around the Network

Warranted a thread when it's already being discussed in NPD thread? Let's make a thread about everything NPD released...

Is that the highest selling ps3 exclusive for dec ever? 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
4k1x3r said:

Warranted a thread when it's already being discussed in NPD thread? Let's make a thread about everything NPD released...

Give me break. LOL

I haven't been creating many threads recently.  

Anyways there's a lot of hate there. 

NoCtiS_NoX said:
4k1x3r said:

Give me break. LOL

I haven't been creating many threads recently.  

Anyways there's a lot of hate there. 

No hate, I just find it more simple to keep what is said about things in their 'original' thread (here in NPD thread), intersting things may be said here and one can miss it because he didn't check. See what I mean.

Around the Network

sad thing is people will ignore WW numbers, when everyone expected it to best in EMEAA region, but will come here and bash the game itself with random comparisons etc. just to satisfy their console warrior mentality. Hey I get that we have our fave consoles. I love my ps3/psp but come on. Double standards are annoying. and this is GT, it will keep selling for years (refer to GT history)...being at 5 mil mark already in a month or so WW, the game is off to a great start. and the bundling hasn't kicked in either.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:

sad thing is people will ignore WW numbers, when everyone expected it to best in EMEAA region, but will come here and bash the game itself with random comparisons etc. just to satisfy their console warrior mentality. Hey I get that we have our fave consoles. I love my ps3/psp but come on. Double standards are annoying. and this is GT, it will keep selling for years (refer to GT history)...being at 5 mil mark already in a month or so WW, the game is off to a great start. and the bundling hasn't kicked in either.

nah their just trying to divert all the attention to GT5 becuase of the recent HW adjustments so dont worry.

OT: those sales are fine its not the GT5 strongest region and its not bundled yet.

GT5 is doing very very well in EMEAA. Many people seem to think that NPD = World sales.

Wagram said:

GT5 is doing very very well in EMEAA. Many people seem to think that NPD = World sales.

Yea, even in press articles... "X" is the best selling thing this year, it outsold everthing", cool but hey, America is America...

Wagram said:

to be fair, the PS3 sold 1.2 million, what else can they complain about? And Sony gave us nothing in their PR, but about LBP2 which has zero commercial.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)