By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2010 Hardware Sales

Nintendo had a good year, but I expect this one to be even better.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
Gojimaster said:

Wii, in a down year, easily beat 360 in its peak year.  People like to talk about growth, but sustaining sales and profit is equally important.  I think Nintendo should hang on to this generation for as long as it can-- 2 more years would be great.  I think Nintendo has enough momentum to be the home console leader for at least 1 more year.  The PS2 also went through a down year before it re-peaked after a price-cut in 2005.  Wii 2011, with a price-cut and a strong enough library, may be able to top 2010 numbers.  Hopefully Nintendo has negociated out a cheaper way to manufacture the Wii so that it can still maintain a similar profit-margin even with a price-cut.

Im not trying to turn this into an argument but I would like to point out that Xbox 360 / Wii likely pushed similar profit and revenue numbers for the year (excluding the unfortunate results of the currency fluxations and subsequent write-offs). So neither is really a reason to disparage the other, both did well in their respective ways and even doing equally well doesn't diminish their overall good work and the subsequent good results they achieved.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Gojimaster said:

Wii, in a down year, easily beat 360 in its peak year.  People like to talk about growth, but sustaining sales and profit is equally important.  I think Nintendo should hang on to this generation for as long as it can-- 2 more years would be great.  I think Nintendo has enough momentum to be the home console leader for at least 1 more year.  The PS2 also went through a down year before it re-peaked after a price-cut in 2005.  Wii 2011, with a price-cut and a strong enough library, may be able to top 2010 numbers.  Hopefully Nintendo has negociated out a cheaper way to manufacture the Wii so that it can still maintain a similar profit-margin even with a price-cut.

Im not trying to turn this into an argument but I would like to point out that Xbox 360 / Wii likely pushed similar profit and revenue numbers for the year (excluding the unfortunate results of the currency fluxations and subsequent write-offs). So neither is really a reason to disparage the other, both did well in their respective ways and even doing equally well doesn't diminish their overall good work and the subsequent good results they achieved.

Considering Wiis are cheaper to produce and Nintendo sells more first party software, which brings in more money, I should think not.

Don't disagree with your post, though, just pointing that out.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Even with Japan in Sony's corner I would've expected the 360 to outsell the PS3 the way things were going this holiday season.

All that - Slim launch, temporary clearance sale, Kinect - and the XBox360 is still in third place.

thismeintiel said:
AWESOM-O said:

Ill tell ya what xbox 360 made a huge run this year.... They were lagging, but with slim and kinect, they have the control right now

How exactly do they have control?  They were still behind the PS3 (which actually surprises me with the great holiday season they have had), even with the Slim and the Kinect.  And we still have financial reports to come out, which may show PS3 is even more ahead than it is now.  I mean before last quarter's report came out, people thought the PS3 was getting crushed by the 360 Slim and Move had little to no effect on sales.  That turned out to be wrong.  Now, I will admit MS should have better January sales with the recent launch of Kinect, but I still don't see them having control of the HD market.

Kinect is huge..... And they have a good run right now in hollidays.... But ps3 will be back with little big planet 2 and killzone 3..... But the reason im saying control is if you look back to june area, ps3 had around a 3 million console lead for the year on xbox, now its dead even.... Il tell ya one thing though, i really hope move takes off this year, cause i have it with the sports champions, heavy rain and the fight lights out and there really great.... Hopefully killzone will push some of the move stuff.... But if the killzone with move is like mag with move i wont like it.... Sony will have 2011 HD 

Around the Network
Immortal said:
Squilliam said:
Gojimaster said:

Considering Wiis are cheaper to produce and Nintendo sells more first party software, which brings in more money, I should think not.

Don't disagree with your post, though, just pointing that out.

Don't underestimate the dark money gobbling side of Xbox Live!

Tease.

Squilliam said:

Don't underestimate the dark money gobbling side of Xbox Live!

xD.

I suppose...

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

AWESOM-O said:
thismeintiel said:
AWESOM-O said:

Ill tell ya what xbox 360 made a huge run this year.... They were lagging, but with slim and kinect, they have the control right now

How exactly do they have control?  They were still behind the PS3 (which actually surprises me with the great holiday season they have had), even with the Slim and the Kinect.  And we still have financial reports to come out, which may show PS3 is even more ahead than it is now.  I mean before last quarter's report came out, people thought the PS3 was getting crushed by the 360 Slim and Move had little to no effect on sales.  That turned out to be wrong.  Now, I will admit MS should have better January sales with the recent launch of Kinect, but I still don't see them having control of the HD market.

Kinect is huge..... And they have a good run right now in hollidays.... But ps3 will be back with little big planet 2 and killzone 3..... But the reason im saying control is if you look back to june area, ps3 had around a 3 million console lead for the year on xbox, now its dead even.... Il tell ya one thing though, i really hope move takes off this year, cause i have it with the sports champions, heavy rain and the fight lights out and there really great.... Hopefully killzone will push some of the move stuff.... But if the killzone with move is like mag with move i wont like it.... Sony will have 2011 HD 

Gotcha.  Though, personally I wouldn't call that "control", per se.  But anyway, I think 2011 is going to be a good year for the Move.  Personally, I'm looking forward to Killzone 3 and Scorcery.

very nice all around. the hd systems did very good, glad to see them so close in sales. the ps2 dont know why ppl still buy it, it should be at $49.99 by now and the psp did pretty good ( should be at $99, since its a downgraded ps2 anyways ) i would buy 2 more psp's at that price for my wife and myself. wii and ds great as usual.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Americas just managed to beat EMEAA in total sales after two years. I thought that the later would have pulled further away as that market have by far the most potential growth.

Then again, it was a pretty bad economic year for EMEAA states, except for Germany.