By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Democratic congresswoman shot in Arizona.

badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:
badgenome said:

Yes, the Tea Party would really want to kill a pro-gun, anti-illegal immigration Blue Dog Democrat.

It's pretty sickening how so many people fly off all half-cocked in their desperation to make political hay out of such a horrible incident.

Consider this image below that the sarahpac website had up earlier this year.  She was opposed by the Palin camp in the last election period due to votes on the health care bill.  And note the cross-hairs used.  Factor in also people carrying guns to Obama speeches, and other extreme talk, with them angry about not being in power, and that is why the Tea Party is a top candidate.  Stuff like this below needs to stop.  You get an unhinged loon jumping on it, and blammo, you have more shootings.  And YES, that image was up on Palin's PAC website in 2010.

Nah. Intellectual laziness like the above post is what really needs to stop.

Oh, and here's an example of Democrats doing the same thing:

And another!

To be fair, richardhutnik is just parroting the line that this was an unusual, dangerous, and unacceptable approach that was repeated constantly on CNN and MSNBC; and probably was unaware that most national parties, in most elections, use a similar approach with a similar metaphor around the world.

Around the Network
Zucas said:

Wow why are people using this time to take this story and use it for their own political agendas.  A congresswoman was just shot and six people are dead, including a 9 year old girl and a federal judge.  Does that not matter to anyone or is that just secondary news.  Sure people have been politically motivated to do lots of crazy things, but should we blame the politics or the person.  Ideas don't kill people they motivate people whether positively or negatively.  In the end, though, people kill people.  Let's not forget that.  

I don't think it's so much politics, but your politics tend to colour who you blame.

I think it's more hoping there is some conspiracy connection because that makes more sense and in a crazy way more reassuring, because if some batshit insane person can just walk up and kill a bunch of people and shoot a congressmen, honestly what's stopping some crazy guy from shooting you?  Nothing.  If someone wants you dead, you are going to be dead.

Of course, people don't realize the comforting fact that they're way too unimportant for a crazy person to try and kill. 

As Lincoln said... if someone wants you to die, you are probably going to die.  That's why he knew he'd be assassainated.

Though, ironically Lincoln is the one case where there WAS a conspiracy!

Kasz216 said:
Zucas said:

Wow why are people using this time to take this story and use it for their own political agendas.  A congresswoman was just shot and six people are dead, including a 9 year old girl and a federal judge.  Does that not matter to anyone or is that just secondary news.  Sure people have been politically motivated to do lots of crazy things, but should we blame the politics or the person.  Ideas don't kill people they motivate people whether positively or negatively.  In the end, though, people kill people.  Let's not forget that.  

I don't think it's so much politics, but your politics tend to colour who you blame.

I think it's more hoping there is some conspiracy connection because that makes more sense and in a crazy way more reassuring, because if some batshit insane person can just walk up and kill a bunch of people and shoot a congressmen, honestly what's stopping some crazy guy from shooting you?  Nothing.  If someone wants you dead, you are going to be dead.

Of course, people don't realize the comforting fact that they're way too unimportant for a crazy person to try and kill. 

A lot of the safety most people get from these unstable people is that most unstable people show obvious signs of it and people avoid/shun them; and this limited exposure limits the likelihood that they would be the victims of their potential extreme acts. Of course, this is what makes the unstable people who are best able to hide it so terrifying and dangerous ...

Years ago I worked as a security guard and one of the guys I worked with was a semi-retired prison guard. We once had a discussion about this and he told me a story about when he was a rookie at the prison. I don’t remember all of the details but apparently one of the prisoners there was convicted of murder but initially he didn’t believe it because there wasn’t another prisoner that was as well behaved or personable. Older prison guards warned him about how dangerous this prisoner was, and he took their warnings seriously, but he always had his doubts. Eventually, one day he came into work and learned that this man used a dumbbell to smash the head open of another prisoner who was working out at the time because he had somehow been offended.

HappySqurriel said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:
badgenome said:

Yes, the Tea Party would really want to kill a pro-gun, anti-illegal immigration Blue Dog Democrat.

It's pretty sickening how so many people fly off all half-cocked in their desperation to make political hay out of such a horrible incident.

Consider this image below that the sarahpac website had up earlier this year.  She was opposed by the Palin camp in the last election period due to votes on the health care bill.  And note the cross-hairs used.  Factor in also people carrying guns to Obama speeches, and other extreme talk, with them angry about not being in power, and that is why the Tea Party is a top candidate.  Stuff like this below needs to stop.  You get an unhinged loon jumping on it, and blammo, you have more shootings.  And YES, that image was up on Palin's PAC website in 2010.

And another!

To be fair, richardhutnik is just parroting the line that this was an unusual, dangerous, and unacceptable approach that was repeated constantly on CNN and MSNBC; and probably was unaware that most national parties, in most elections, use a similar approach with a similar metaphor around the world.

I think in light of this incident, people may want to give thought to what is going on here, and see what language is being used.  There is a pretty big Red-Blue divide going on, that is getting larger.  And, left with a void, people will plug om whatever theories that are there.  My concern is drives for partisanship, and bile talk are not helping here.  Maybe now is a good time to take a step back and assess things.  I had posted, in my original message, concerns I had.  In the end, it is some sort of loon who was unhinged and borrowed from all over the political spectrum.  Problem I have with the Palin sign, is that those were crosshairs, not like the other ones.  Well, Palin is pro-gun rights, and does hunting, so it makes sense.

So, what happens here is this incident is again a political football, likely to be used both to blame the tea party and also argue for more restrictive gun laws.

richardhutnik said:
HappySqurriel said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:
badgenome said:

And another!

I think in light of this incident, people may want to give thought to what is going on here, and see what language is being used.  There is a pretty big Red-Blue divide going on, that is getting larger.  And, left with a void, people will plug om whatever theories that are there.  My concern is drives for partisanship, and bile talk are not helping here.  Maybe now is a good time to take a step back and assess things.  I had posted, in my original message, concerns I had.  In the end, it is some sort of loon who was unhinged and borrowed from all over the political spectrum.  Problem I have with the Palin sign, is that those were crosshairs, not like the other ones.  Well, Palin is pro-gun rights, and does hunting, so it makes sense.

So, what happens here is this incident is again a political football, likely to be used both to blame the tea party and also argue for more restrictive gun laws.

hard to blame the teaparty when it was a crazy commie guy that did the shooting.  Of course they are going to try and get more restrictions. I can't wait for the Brady crowds reactions all day tomorrow.

Around the Network
hobbit said:
richardhutnik said:
HappySqurriel said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:
badgenome said:

And another!

hard to blame the teaparty when it was a crazy commie guy that did the shooting.  Of course they are going to try and get more restrictions. I can't wait for the Brady crowds reactions all day tomorrow.

Yet they keep doing it.  I've yet to hear or see a report that doesn't suggest a tea party person or sarah palin fan was responsible.

The shooter strikes me as a dumb anarchist. Same type of guy who shot Mckinley back around 1900. He apparently was taking pre-algebra in a community college, so not the brightest of assassins.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Found his picture:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Don't retreat, reload!

He sure makes a lot of grammatical mistakes for a person who calls everyone else illeteraite.