By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan and WW up 1st Jan

jarrod said:

DKCR already the best selling western developed game in Japan this generation, and it's actually tracking ahead of DKC2/3/64 going by Famistu numbers.  Amazing really, it's going to be a million seller and probably then some... lol, I can't help but remember when certain posters (who shall remain nameless) were saying it's the same (disappointing) story as GT5 and insisting I was trying to "make thing look better than they really are" when I compared DKCR's sales to the DK series historically. How's that crow taste boys? ;)

I think what we were claiming that DKCR is not going to be some great hardware mover.  I still believe that.  I believe that Wii sold for 3 reasons this Holiday. Normal holiday boost, extra software included and all the special sales prices.  In NA nearly every week you could get a Wii for at least $20 below the $199 price. Believe only the week after BF were there no deals to be had. This culminated with the weekend at Walmart with a $75 gift card with a Wii purchase. I know there were deals and new special bundles in EMEAA as well.

Last year vs this year

Japan 2009 November and December: 980K Wii sales
Japan 2010 November and December: 560K Wii sales

EMEAA 2009 November and December: 4,383,980
EMEAA 2010 November and December: 3,810,113

NA 2009 November and December: 5,249,030
NA 2010 November and December: 4,972,153

DKCR is a good game and it sold very well, but the evidence says that people did not say "I am getting a Wii for DKCR."

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

Wii stays #1 W.W in week 1 of 2011!

While Wii being #1 makes me very happy I am very impressed with 360 #'s this week in America.

thx1139 said:

I think what we were claiming that DKCR is not going to be some great hardware mover.  I still believe that.  I believe that Wii sold for 3 reasons this Holiday. Normal holiday boost, extra software included and all the special sales prices.  In NA nearly every week you could get a Wii for at least $20 below the $199 price. Believe only the week after BF were there no deals to be had. This culminated with the weekend at Walmart with a $75 gift card with a Wii purchase. I know there were deals and new special bundles in EMEAA as well.

Last year vs this year

Japan 2009 November and December: 980K Wii sales
Japan 2010 November and December: 560K Wii sales

EMEAA 2009 November and December: 4,383,980
EMEAA 2010 November and December: 3,810,113

NA 2009 November and December: 5,249,030
NA 2010 November and December: 4,972,153

DKCR is a good game and it sold very well, but the evidence says that people did not say "I am getting a Wii for DKCR."

I wasn't talking about you specifically when I was referring to "nameless posters", but the argument was definitely NOT centered around hardware moving, it was about DKCR and GT5 sales themselves.  I don't think anyone has really claimed DKCR itself was moving Wii hardware in Japan, probably because it's clearly not and wasn't ever really expected to.

Ok, so we're doomed in americas AND japan so soon?

jarrod said:

DKCR already the best selling western developed game in Japan this generation, and it's actually tracking ahead of DKC2/3/64 going by Famistu numbers.  Amazing really, it's going to be a million seller and probably then some... lol, I can't help but remember when certain posters (who shall remain nameless) were saying it's the same (disappointing) story as GT5 and insisting I was trying to "make thing look better than they really are" when I compared DKCR's sales to the DK series historically. How's that crow taste boys? ;)

Oh yeah, I remember that too..... loving it <3 of course, those individuals are nowhere near to be seen right now....

Around the Network

Monster Hunter, very impressive. :)

And good PS3 hardware sales.

CGI-Quality said:

The 360 is the true winner this week. Kinect continues to amaze me!

We must be looking at different sales then, because I still see Wii at number 1 ;)

Ok, so Wii held on to the first position the week after X-mas, pretty good. I got to admit I am impressed with Kinect and the numbers It's generating, I wonder how will it do for 2011. being bundled with the 360 will obviously help since I'm sure a lot of people will be buying the 360 for the console itsel not the Kinect.

Metallicube said:
CGI-Quality said:

The 360 is the true winner this week. Kinect continues to amaze me!

We must be looking at different sales then, because I still see Wii at number 1 ;)

It is so hard for Nintendo to get credit from some people here.