By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds To PS3 Hacks

Rafux said:

I still wonder if this will work (playing copies), third world countries are the majority who will use this but blurays are still expensive like 20$ for each blank blu ray plus the profit of the pirate selling it it may cost 25$-30$ for game and you still wouldn't be able to play online. I guess PS3 sales will take an increase.

Blank BRDs can cost as low as $1 a piece, and due to this hack PS3 will probably become the most pouplar console in poor countries. PS3 could very well end up like PSP in a year or 2. If Sony can impliment a banning policy as effective as MS it may help, but Sony really left a gaping hole here and it may not be fixable at all. Soon enough you will see players with 100 plus platinum trophies and bullshit in game hacks ruining all your favorite online games.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
CDiablo said:
Rafux said:

I still wonder if this will work (playing copies), third world countries are the majority who will use this but blurays are still expensive like 20$ for each blank blu ray plus the profit of the pirate selling it it may cost 25$-30$ for game and you still wouldn't be able to play online. I guess PS3 sales will take an increase.

Blank BRDs can cost as low as $1 a piece, and due to this hack PS3 will probably become the most pouplar console in poor countries. PS3 could very well end up like PSP in a year or 2. If Sony can impliment a banning policy as effective as MS it may help, but Sony really left a gaping hole here and it may not be fixable at all. Soon enough you will see players with 100 plus platinum trophies and bullshit in game hacks ruining all your favorite online games.

You are right I just check and in my country Ecuador (South America) each blank  BRD cost 4$ each.

25GB Blu-Rays cost that, 50GB Blu-Rays don't...

Wikipedia listed an average of prices, 

• BD-R/RE internal drive US$99.99–200;[17]
  • 4× single-layer BD-R disc (25 GBUS$2–5 in quantity;[19]
  • 4× double-layer BD-R disc (50 GBUS$12.99 each;[18]
  • 2× single-layer BD-RE disc (25 GBUS$5–12 each;[20]
  • 2× double-layer BD-RE disc (50 GBUS$20–40 each;[21]

Of course this can vary, but those are the prices i usually see...

That's what i would do, make games on 50GB discs, even when the game is 6 GB... Real pirates are gonna pirate no matter what, but there are a lot of lazy pirates that on the minor obstacle prefer to buy the game, so they won't burn a $60 game in a $20 disc, and they won't put 30-50GB per game in their drives... 

The Anarchyz said:

That's what i would do, make games on 50GB discs, even when the game is 6 GB... Real pirates are gonna pirate no matter what, but there are a lot of lazy pirates that on the minor obstacle prefer to buy the game, so they won't burn a $60 game in a $20 disc, and they won't put 30-50GB per game in their drives... 

Except:

• $20 is less than $60
  • $13 is less than $20, I don't know why you're only considering the RE discs
  • $2 is much less than $13 since from what I hear most games come in under 25GB
  • $5 is still much less than $60 if you're looking for read/writeable discs

You're right that 50GB absolutely do cost more which means they cost the publisher more too.  I have to wonder how much the discs cost them and what that cost is vs the expected amount of piracy.

Also, hard drive space is really cheap.  I can easily find a 1.5TB HDD for under $100 and that would be 30 50gig games right there.  Considering more space is just a delete key away with nothing really lost, I don't think they'd mind even stuffing 4-5 games at a time on a 300gig HDD.

twesterm said:
The Anarchyz said:

Except:

• $20 is less than $60

You're right that 50GB absolutely do cost more which means they cost the publisher more too.  I have to wonder how much the discs cost them and what that cost is vs the expected amount of piracy.

Also, hard drive space is really cheap.  I can easily find a 1.5TB HDD for under $100 and that would be 30 50gig games right there.  Considering more space is just a delete key away with nothing really lost, I don't think they'd mind even stuffing 4-5 games at a time on a 300gig HDD.

You're right, my bad, i got confused with the list, but my main point stands, of course a real pirate won't care about this, pirates are gonna pirate no matter what... But i know people who like piracy as long as it's close to free and relatively easy, otherwise they prefer to buy the games to avoid the trouble... 

So there will be piracy, but i don't think it will be PSP big, hell, i don't think it will be PS2 big...

Around the Network
The Anarchyz said:
twesterm said:
The Anarchyz said:

Except:

• $20 is less than $60

You're right, my bad, i got confused with the list, but my main point stands, of course a real pirate won't care about this, pirates are gonna pirate no matter what... But i know people who like piracy as long as it's close to free and relatively easy, otherwise they prefer to buy the games to avoid the trouble... 

So there will be piracy, but i don't think it will be PSP big, hell, i don't think it will be PS2 big...

100% agree it won't be as big as PSP and DS, but I would be willing to bet it will be bigger than the Wii and 360, especially if you can run games off your hard drive because then cost is eliminated.  Once you get past a gig, I doubt file size matters for most people since you can start a download before you go to bed and then wake up to a finished download.  And then there's ease-- zero modification to your console and will probably be as easy as just dropping an app into your PS3 through a USB stcik and you're done.

So will these hacks allow user to playonline with a pirated copy of a game or only offline? 

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

twesterm said:

100% agree it won't be as big as PSP and DS, but I would be willing to bet it will be bigger than the Wii and 360, especially if you can run games off your hard drive because then cost is eliminated.  Once you get past a gig, I doubt file size matters for most people since you can start a download before you go to bed and then wake up to a finished download.  And then there's ease-- zero modification to your console and will probably be as easy as just dropping an app into your PS3 through a USB stcik and you're done.

Pretty sure that ISPs would kick off about such large downloads, fair usage policies, and all that.

SamuelRSmith said:
twesterm said:

Pretty sure that ISPs would kick off about such large downloads, fair usage policies, and all that.

Here in Canada, we have unlimited usage for some clients (this is 5D/.512U) and some bigger ones that give use 25D/7U, or 25D/1U. The bigger ones aren't unlimited, but have usage rates that are about 75-150GB.

Now if go over those ones, you start paying a fee, until you hit a maximum fee limit (less than the price of one game), after that it is unlimited. For example in one I uploaded and downloaded about 1tb. 

And this is Canada, a country that contains one of the worse internet infrastructures in the world (I think we are above USA...but that means nothing in terms of internet infrastructures.)

I think they will go Microsoft route and just do wave of mass bans for playing unreleased software.

Remember that any X360 game has it's own identity number so PS3 probably has it too. And every downloaded game will have the same number.

It might also delay price cut since Sony will try to profit as much as possible on current skus until they get new one with improved security.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB