By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds To PS3 Hacks

mantlepiecek said:
Kasz216 said:
mantlepiecek said:

This is why I hate hackers, Sony just uses their time trying to remove hackers instead of something special, like say...cross game chat.

That sounds more like a reason to hate sony...  You aren't ever going to stop hackers... and Sony was the one who brought this on themselves by removing other OS.

Well, if PS3 ends up getting fu**ed up by piracy, whose fault would it be?

Of course Sony.

Other OS was never there in the PS3 slims, so it would have been hacked  anyway.

It's the same difference isn't it?  Afterall there is actually nothing stopping the PS3 Slim from running Linux other then the fact that Sony disabled the option.

The PS3 had the same defense Apple Macs did.  It was so small and insignificant nobody pays any attention to it.  Then they shouted "hey look at us" by removing a feature said community enjoyed.

Now with this Key broke it seems like the PS3 is at a state where game consoles of old used to be, back when manufactuerers actually WANTED homebrew. 

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
mantlepiecek said:
Kasz216 said:
mantlepiecek said:

This is why I hate hackers, Sony just uses their time trying to remove hackers instead of something special, like say...cross game chat.

That sounds more like a reason to hate sony...  You aren't ever going to stop hackers... and Sony was the one who brought this on themselves by removing other OS.

Well, if PS3 ends up getting fu**ed up by piracy, whose fault would it be?

Of course Sony.

Other OS was never there in the PS3 slims, so it would have been hacked  anyway.

It's the same difference isn't it?  Afterall there is actually nothing stopping the PS3 Slim from running Linux other then the fact that Sony disabled the option.

The PS3 had the same defense Apple did.  It was so small and insignificant nobody pays any attention to it.  Then they shouted "hey look at us" by removing a feature said community enjoyed.

Now with this Key broke it seems like the PS3 is at a state where game consoles of old used to be, back when manufactuerers actually WANTED homebrew.

That's true.

The Anarchyz said:

25GB Blu-Rays cost that, 50GB Blu-Rays don't...

Wikipedia listed an average of prices, 

Of course this can vary, but those are the prices i usually see...

That's what i would do, make games on 50GB discs, even when the game is 6 GB... Real pirates are gonna pirate no matter what, but there are a lot of lazy pirates that on the minor obstacle prefer to buy the game, so they won't burn a $60 game in a $20 disc, and they won't put 30-50GB per game in their drives... 

That trick doesnt work in the pirate scene. Dreamcast used to use propritary game disks that were a special formatted CD that was double in size. Many games were padded with dummy data(unused 0's and 1's)  to go above the 700MB limit after the system was hacked to combat piracy. Hackers quickly figured this out and turned those 400 MB files into 1MB files. The average PS3 game is around 7GB so you can probably use DVDR Dls, which are actually more expensive than 25 gig BRDR's.

While DL BRDs are still quite expensive regular BRD's are cheap

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Kasz216 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Exactly, people hating hackers for what Sony did wrong... and they only blame them for the PSP and PS3...

All systems since the NES days have been hacked (Atari 2600 doesn't count because it was really open), when Nintendo of America implemented the 10NES lockout chip, people tried to hack that since the beginning, and even major corporations were in that, Atari Tengen even did a major felony (they practically stole the patents), until it was cracked with a simple voltage spike, later they developed better methods until Nintendo got rid of the chip... And piracy also existed back then, only it was more secret than now...

Hackers are gonna hack, pirates are gonna pirate, and not all hackers are pirates (and viceversa), and blaming them for what Sony did is not right, seriously, i used the ECDSA method and even the rookie devs that i worked with knew that you need a phreaking random number for the cryptography to actually work, and those who didn't know the method actually did the research (it was not that hard, the DSA is from the early 90s, and the Elliptic Curve variation is from slightly after and they're widely published methods)... putting a constant instead of a random number is like fail0verflow said: EPIC FAIL...

snakenobi said:
SvennoJ said:

They don't have to issue new pc hardware to keep trying new drm on pc...

Thanks to the hackers we'll be moving 1 stap closer to always on drm for console games.

Or you won't be able to start the game until you register and get a key generated based on your console ID. Call a phone line, enter the key that came with the game, enter your ps3 ID and receive a key to unlock the game for your ps3. Great way to block the 2nd hand market as well :/ Hackers will find a way around that, but will have to do it for each new game.

ps3 already has drm and so do all other systems

just that they are cracked

drm is only a problem on PC which is an open platform

consoles are closed platforms,drm is always there

Yes, but not all titles require you to be online to play them, yet... the download version of GT5p had some nasty drm already. I used to have 2 ps3s, trying to play it on the other one using the exact same account it informed me that this title had already been played on another system in the last 24 hours and dropped me back to the xmb.

Piracy will be the excuse to kill the 2nd hand market as well. Games only running tied to your account and/or 1 registered ps3. Digital download is the future :(

Around the Network

How effective is this hack? Is it as easy as say pirating for PC or the Xbox?

SvennoJ said:
snakenobi said:
SvennoJ said:

Thanks to the hackers we'll be moving 1 stap closer to always on drm for console games.

Or you won't be able to start the game until you register and get a key generated based on your console ID. Call a phone line, enter the key that came with the game, enter your ps3 ID and receive a key to unlock the game for your ps3. Great way to block the 2nd hand market as well :/ Hackers will find a way around that, but will have to do it for each new game.

Yes, but not all titles require you to be online to play them, yet... the download version of GT5p had some nasty drm already. I used to have 2 ps3s, trying to play it on the other one using the exact same account it informed me that this title had already been played on another system in the last 24 hours and dropped me back to the xmb.

Piracy will be the excuse to kill the 2nd hand market as well. Games only running tied to your account and/or 1 registered ps3. Digital download is the future :(

Yeah, that's the real reason for the DRM pushes.

Doesn't bother me that much though since I never sold my games in the first place, and all my discount games buying is now Steam of GoG.

SvennoJ said:
snakenobi said:
SvennoJ said:

that isn't drm,that is your PSN sharing quota.you can only share games over 5 accounts.

don't mix that with drm.those are called limits

drm is more like install in your system and then will not let you play anything aside from the original thing

snakenobi said:

that isn't drm,that is your PSN sharing quota.you can only share games over 5 accounts.

drm is more like install in your system and then will not let you play anything aside from the original thing

You even know what DRM is? Stop making a fool out of yourself.

Galaki said:
snakenobi said:

You even know what DRM is? Stop making a fool out of yourself.

You could of explained it to him.... I mean otherwise it's just 2 more posts!

DRM = Digital Rights Management.

Only allowing 5 accounts would be digital rights management.