By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds To PS3 Hacks

Bans from PSN (assuming they can tell whether you're running Homebrew/pirate software or not) isn't going to make any difference at all. The reason why bans on Xbox LIVE work is because they ban the console's Mac address. Geohot and anyone else with the knowledge of these things can spoof Mac addresses now that the Master Key has been obtained as far as I know...otherwise he wouldn't have displayed his IP address and Mac address on the video he released. They say that once the door has been opened it's very difficult for platform holders to close it again successfully...but the door hasn't just been opened, it's been opened with a valid key that can't be changed via an update of any kind.

Around the Network

Well I guess the system being compromised will help boost up hardware sales??

twesterm said:
SamuelRSmith said:
twesterm said:

100% agree it won't be as big as PSP and DS, but I would be willing to bet it will be bigger than the Wii and 360, especially if you can run games off your hard drive because then cost is eliminated.  Once you get past a gig, I doubt file size matters for most people since you can start a download before you go to bed and then wake up to a finished download.  And then there's ease-- zero modification to your console and will probably be as easy as just dropping an app into your PS3 through a USB stcik and you're done.

Pretty sure that ISPs would kick off about such large downloads, fair usage policies, and all that.

They can bitch all they want, if they're the one that sold you unlimited usage then they're the ones that have to deal with it.

If they sent me a letter like that then I would start downloading nonsense 24/7 completely out of spite.

Well, in the UK (at least), if you break what they deem to be "fair usage" they can do a lot more than send you a letter... like charge you for excess data, cripple your connection, or cut you off altogether.

I'm not sure, but under the Digital Economy Bill, they also will have to turn you over to the respective copyright owners.

Labour killed this country.

mantlepiecek said:

This is why I hate hackers, Sony just uses their time trying to remove hackers instead of something special, like say...cross game chat.

How is that the hackers fault? Microsoft has been dealing with piracy since almost day one, yet they've managed to have 2 full revamps of the GUI and added tons of features in that time. But it must be those hackers holding up cross game chat...

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

mantlepiecek said:

This is why I hate hackers, Sony just uses their time trying to remove hackers instead of something special, like say...cross game chat.

That sounds more like a reason to hate sony...  You aren't ever going to stop hackers... and Sony was the one who brought this on themselves by removing other OS.

Around the Network
sieanr said:
mantlepiecek said:

How is that the hackers fault? Microsoft has been dealing with piracy since almost day one, yet they've managed to have 2 full revamps of the GUI and added tons of features in that time. But it must be those hackers holding up cross game chat...

Its not hackers fault, I was mainly frustrated that hackers waste Sony's time, or rather Sony wastes their time on hackers.

Haha cross game chat was just a joke. Its not going to come to the PS3 that easily.

Don't worry guys. Pretty sure that Sony planned for this very situation back in '05. http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1029169/no-pre-owned-games-to-be-allowed-for-playstation-3

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Kasz216 said:
mantlepiecek said:

That sounds more like a reason to hate sony...  You aren't ever going to stop hackers... and Sony was the one who brought this on themselves by removing other OS.

Well, if PS3 ends up getting fu**ed up by piracy, whose fault would it be?

Of course Sony.

Other OS was never there in the PS3 slims, so it would have been hacked  anyway.

SvennoJ said:

They don't have to issue new pc hardware to keep trying new drm on pc...

Thanks to the hackers we'll be moving 1 stap closer to always on drm for console games.

Or you won't be able to start the game until you register and get a key generated based on your console ID. Call a phone line, enter the key that came with the game, enter your ps3 ID and receive a key to unlock the game for your ps3. Great way to block the 2nd hand market as well :/ Hackers will find a way around that, but will have to do it for each new game.

ps3 already has drm and so do all other systems

just that they are cracked

drm is only a problem on PC which is an open platform

consoles are closed platforms,drm is always there

Wii_R2_Hardcore said:

I probably don't understand but... The Nintendo Wii and the 360 are fully hacked since the begining and the are the number one and two in hardware sales. (Software too?) So what if Sony do nothing? Will be the PS3 really doomed this time?

Or is it because they are still losing money for every console they sale so their only profit they have left is on software?

Please somebody explain

you talk as if 360 and wii topped ps3 just because they got hacked.............hehe