By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: Gran Turismo 5 Has Sold 5.5 Million Worldwide

Sony: Gran Turismo 5 Has Sold 5.5 Million Worldwide

Okay, so maybe this time they mean "sold." If they say the word "sold," what other conclusion can one reach?

Previously, it had been reported that Gran Turismo 5 "sold" 5.5 million copies worldwide, but many sources quickly updated the information and said Sony was only referring to units shipped. But yesterday during Sony's CES keynote address, Sony once again noted that 5.5 million copies of Polyphony's masterful racer had been sold worldwide. They didn't provide specific numbers for each region, but you can probably expect Europe to sport the biggest total, as it's typically GT's most popular area.

We can also get further confirmation concerning North American sales when the December NPD results release next week; chances are, it's another super huge title for the PS3. And as the user base for Sony's machine continues to rise, there are more potential buyers for each exclusive that launches. In regards to GT5, it may miss those who don't like simulated racing experiences, but for those who crave authenticity and realism...well, there's only one choice.

1/5/2011 9:05:23 PM Ben Dutka

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/8373.html

We assume Sony will clarify their CES announcement with an official press release of some kind; maybe it'll show up tomorrow.

Around the Network

Either slightly undertracked or slightly overtracked depending on shipped or sold.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

horray!! another 15 page thread of meaningless banter over the meaning of the word "sold" to sift through later today!!

This is old news. It's the shipped number from back at the start of December. And it's already sold through more than it's first shipment in Japan and most likely the UK as well.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

I think its shipped, its very difficult for Sony to find out sold to costumers.

Around the Network

Unless the publisher cites a sales tracking source, or clarifies specifically "sold through to consumers", you have to assume shipped.

When Sony says sold, it means sold to retailers; they have no direct interaction with the end-user.

So, it means that about half a million copies remain on the shelves by VGC data; which doesn't seem too unreasonable, imo, especially at this time of year.

We got the same number reported a while back as shipped.

And during the show, he actually said "2 weeks after launch", that it was 5.5 Million.

There is probably an updated shipment figure by now, and we will likely see it when Polyphony update the website.

I do personally think it's undertracked here... But by how much, I have no idea.

kitler53 said:

horray!! another 15 page thread of meaningless banter over the meaning of the word "sold" to sift through later today!!

Jeeeh.. the first one of the year and many to come!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

these are not the latest numbers

they do not yet have the latest numbers as the quarter just ended

these are the older numbers which they mentioned days after GT5 released