By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has a Console ever has TWO launches before?

I know it is not lauching tomorrow, but has this ever happened... I can't remember EVER a console have 2 seperate time when people were camped out knowing a console was going to be sold. Maybe Black Friday had somethings close, but the sheer magnitude of what is going to happen next week is a first as far as I know!!!

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

In Japan, the Xbox 360 had a second "Launch" but I don't think that's quite what you're referring to...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

^What do you mean? What happened in Japan?

psn- tokila

About a year in they had a big marketing push timed with the release of some big games, some price markdowns of other games, and I believe a price cut as well. Microsoft themselves called it a "relaunching" of the system. It did push hardware units up for a week or two, but well... You know how that story went.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

What exactly are you trying to get at tokilamockingbrd? There have been other systems that have had very similar things happen. The DS is most notable for shortages and line ups, especially last year in Japan. The PS2 also would have many line ups outside stores before Christmas but most likely never sold out.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

Yes, it has happened. Maybe you've heard of the system--it's called 'the Wii'

Hmm... I not just refering to the line ups I am referring to the Sudden release of Consoles into the market in mass... The lines was just pointing out that it was gonna sell completely through in 1 hour or less.

psn- tokila

You're totally caught up in Nintendo's and the retailers' PR spin.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

@ reverie
yea, nintendo is just gonna make everyone "think" they are release more Wiis... do you seriously think N is trying to piss people off? the week of the 17-23 will outsell the Wii's initial launch... Getting caught up.... its not like nintendo needs to spin some PR so people will buy the Wii- they just want everyone to know what is going down so the people in the "in"(resellers) don't snatch em all up 1st.

psn- tokila

You realize that many systems outsell their launch weeks later in their lives. The DS has had weeks that sell more than 2 million systems. I'm sure the PS2 has as well. The Wii sold just over 500,000 consoles worldwide on the week of its launch according to vgchartz. I would hope that this week they can sell more worldwide then at launch because they did it last week....and the week before...see where i'm going with this.

The idea of a second launch doesn't make sense by definition. A launch requires that the item cannot be purchased at all beforehand. Since over 600,000 people managed to obtain one before this new "launch" just last week I don't think we could call this a launch.

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy