By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nostalgia time: Final Fantasy VIII

the story was ok.  i really enjoyed playing cards, but apart from that it was a bit meh, at least in my mind.  The battle system wasn't great either.

Around the Network

I played FF8 after playing FF9 and FF7, and compared to those games i felt the story and characters were not good. Squall was simply too annoying, same thing really for the other characters;  the story was a bit boring tbh. i mean its just the whole, SEED thing. i mean in other FFs our heroes had reasons and motives that influenced their actions, in FF8 we just did it because we were SEEDs. time kompression, Ultimecia, etc, it just wasnt as engaging imo as FF7 or 9.

the problem i think was that Sakaguchi has little involevment in the title as he was working on the Spirts WIthin motion picture at the time. so Kitase pretty much made the central theme of the game a teenage romanace, and imo this was the same problem with FF13. way too much teenage drama, not enough mature storytelling like FF7,9 or 12 imho.

the battle system was okay, Squall's limit break pretty much was the battle system, if the game didnt have that it couldve been much, much worst. i mean we had to draw, draw and draw magic, then junction, then draw, draw, draw. magic was obsolete, because if you wasted it, you would be screwed. however the use of photo realisim was a welcome change.

i dont have much respect for FF8 anymore tbh, because its made by the same people who made FF13, who i feel after FF13, have no idea how to make a compelling story and engaging characters. they create a story with too much teenage melodrama, i really enjoyed FF7, and 9. i think FF8 really hurt the sales of FF9, and i cant forgive Kitase and Toriyama for creating a new IP then putting FF13 on box. i think FF8 shows where things went fatally wrong, and Sakaguchi shouldnt have let them do it imho.

i loved ff8.

i was playing it again before my psp died. felt really great playing it on the go and it's a lot better than playing it in a hd tv.

of course i also loved ff7 and ff9, though i think ff8 and ff9 replay better. if you didnt like ff9 you should replay it, it might feel different the second time.

I still love it, it's way better then the FFXII-FFXIII crap

Whenever I replay a FF games it's always the older ones fromm FFX and down and they are still great to this day every single time I replay any of those games, I still feel the magic.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

I feel no need to be nostalgic about one of the worst Final Fantasies(sp?).

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

i tought i was the only 1 in the world! thank you r2 :)

Final fantasy 8 is the best game ever made IMO. it got everything a game needs

Death is nothing to fear

All death means is a new destination

All FF are great games, but FFVIII is the one that made me fall in love with RPGs, it is the best main FF to me (FFX is the second, FF IX thrid, FFVI Forth, FFVII fifth), i dont know why FF VII is more popular maybe because it came before FFVIII, Darksquall you are not alone, Screw FFVII REMAKE, i want FFVIII REMAKE ON PS3 :)

- Best opening of any game

-one of the best soundtracks around (Opening,boss battle,man with machine gun,eyes on me..)

-best summons ever in any FF

-Best graphics at the time

-best mini game of any videogame (Triple Triad), this mingame is even attahced to the story and has a spoilerr if you complete it

-Great battle system (people seem to hate the battle system because it's different than other FF because of drawing, screw that, ibattles were fun and engaging)...

BEST FF TO DATE

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

hayeya_k said:

-Great battle system (people seem to hate the battle system because it's different than other FF because of drawing, screw that, ibattles were fun and engaging)...

People don't hate the battle system because different (every FF has a different battle system). I didn't like it because if you don't junction properly you end up doing GF,GF,GF,GF,GF,GF -> Kill everything. If you junction properly you end up doing Fight, Fight,Fight,Fight,Fight,Fight,Fight,Fight -> Kill everything.

Signature goes here!

FFVIII is terrible. I just tried to replay over my Holiday vacation. It was even worse than I remembered. As much as I hated/hate FFVII. I can manage to play it for more than an hour without getting completely disgusted.