By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 drops out of UK Top10 - after 3 weeks

mrstickball said:

Ummm.... After selling 165k its first week, exactly what did you expect it to do? Sell 50k+ a week?

It's a friggin 399+ (pound) system!!!! Of course it's not gonna sell great after launch. The fanboys that had the cash got it, and now the people that casually want it are going to buy it.

17k isn't too bad, provided it doesn't drop much more.

15-19k a week (similar to Japan) should be pretty good and typical. At a 2.5x rate, that'd be around 52.5k a week in Europe..Slightly higher than it is in the US (42.5k a week) and far above Japan (17.5k a week).

So the PS3 is moving around 110k units a week, or 440k a month (give or take) vs. 1m-ish for the Wii and 500k-ish for the 360.

Not bad for a $600/40k yen/399pd/Euro system.

500K monthly from the X360 ?From where if it can be know ?Because it doesnt sell half of that in NA and it sells as crap in the rest of the world except maybe UK ( and there it is outsold by the DS ,PS2 ,Wii ,PS3 ,PSP ...)

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

So the PS3 is moving around 110k units a week, or 440k a month (give or take) vs. 1m-ish for the Wii and 500k-ish for the 360.

If the PS3 and 360 sell the same each month, MS will still have a huge lead that Sony will not be able to make up. Which will just secure all titles that are on the PS3 will be on the 360. Including FF.

And getting outsold 2-1 to the Wii, while the Wii is still supply constrained has really got to piss Sony off. Especially since Nintendo is making money on the Wii while Sony is losing money on the PS3.

If Sony does't drop the price by $200 or more soon (as in last month) it is over. They have to move the units so they can sell the games, or 3rd parties will start to drop support.

I won't call it over for Sony just yet. When it is sitting on the shelves this Xmas with few people interested, then it is over.

yea its over no way a little company like sony could ever "overcome" these numbers.Fist of all Games will come thats what happens to consoles in the 1st year .The 360 was not exactly lighting up sales charts it's first year either.I am sure if the sales of the PS3 are not where Sony wants them they will drop the price alot and fast.I would presume thats going to come in a 2 tier drop in Summer then Christmas or 1 real big drop in october to obtain a certain "relaunch" Sony will lose an ass load of money to stay on top this generation because once you loose console dominance it is a hard thing to gain back(ask nintendo)if you can even weter the storm of going from the top to the bottom(ask Sega) The thing Sony and Microsoft has is money and lots of it.Wining this generation and loosisng heaps of cash is not as dire as losing this generation and not being able to have as good of a chance of success in future generations.The only reason this console is't selling as good as it can is the Price.The wii is not going to be "caught" because its not a "gamers" system its a whole family system....the downside is how long will that last.Gamers will always be there to buy games or the next system for the highest tech but as family gaming goes it a wish washy buisness that Nintendo is riding the crest of ..for now.I remember my GrandParents had an Atari 2600 but I don't think they ever bought a game machine after that. 

and Wii droped out of th etop 100 LOL

Wii - 144

How's the PS3 doing on eBay?

Around the Network
Hus said:

and Wii droped out of th etop 100 LOL

Wii - 144

What is your source for that? Because if it is amazon I've got some bad news for you ...

I have been wondering what the sales rankings mean on Amazon.com so I have been paying attention to the sales ranking vs. change in the number of units in stock; as far as I can tell selling 20 units per day on Amazon puts you near the top of the chart. As far as I can tell the sample size is too small to make much of a conclusion about sales based off of it.

In Finland Wii is pretty much sold out and Nintedo have shipped 10 000 Wiis between 8.12 and 31.3. At the end of the march (just after PS3 release here), i saw Wiis at 3 stores, one had 3, one had 13(!) and one had a sign that said they have limited amount of Wiis available. Looks like Nintendo pushed an large amount of Wiis to the market at the time of PS3 release. While i was at the store that had 13 Wiis, i saw people buying it, while no one was buying the PS3, which had a stock of 15+. And i believe, that in that store of biggest stock of Wiis, customers don't go look for Wii, because it haven't sold Nintendo products in 2 or 3 years. 360 is a bit harder case. It's available everywhere they sell it, but i haven't personally saw anyone buying it, exept in the christmas season. But in Finland, PS is the only console worth of spece in mainstream media (exept Wii has been noticed by media, but it's still behind the PS3). And comparable sales numbers, PS2 has sold over 400 000 in Finland, and it propably had bigger share than average.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

DRJ said:
mrstickball said:

If the PS3 and 360 sell the same each month, MS will still have a huge lead that Sony will not be able to make up. Which will just secure all titles that are on the PS3 will be on the 360. Including FF.

And getting outsold 2-1 to the Wii, while the Wii is still supply constrained has really got to piss Sony off. Especially since Nintendo is making money on the Wii while Sony is losing money on the PS3.

If Sony does't drop the price by $200 or more soon (as in last month) it is over. They have to move the units so they can sell the games, or 3rd parties will start to drop support.

I won't call it over for Sony just yet. When it is sitting on the shelves this Xmas with few people interested, then it is over.

The situation is just the adverse .Selling comparably the PS3 would secure all the games of the X360 except the first and second parties of Microsoft .But it would have the first and second pary games of Sony plus a hell of a lot of japanese exclusives ,people like Level 5 ,Dimps ,Spike ,Nippon Ichi ,Atlus ,Taito and the like arent exactly close to develop all its games for X360 ,And the big ones as Sega ,Capcom ,Konami ,Namco and Square ...well lets say Sega and Capcom effectively would put most of its games in BOTH consoles but the PS3 would still secure some exclusives from there .And FF between them ,that game sells about 40% its total numbers in Japan and in Japan the X360 is dead .

You guys should stay calm ,the lifecycles of the consoles are like this ,the first year is the launching of the machine ,it has to sell some million and to do it it need some good games but thats about it as long as it sells some million units and the production reduces costs and the heavy-hitter software nears completion it is doing well ,after all only the hardcore gamers buy consoles at launch .Then the second year the battle begins ,price has to be dropped to include more demographics in the potential buyers ,a lot of great software must be released and the companies start to see some revenue ,then by the third year you can have your machine at full speed .The obsession of certain groups of people to see Sony destroyed is just absurd .For all we know the PS3 is selling better that the X360 last year considering the worlwide numbers ;slighty better in the US(1060 000 consoles versus 1000 000 ) ,way better in Japan (870K versus some 200K ) and better in Europe despite being just released .Give Sony some time ,the price will be dropped when it is neccesary ,the online service will improve (to play it is already excellent for free ) and the heavy-hitter software will be released some day .Just pretending that the game is over because PS3 sales arent at the same level that the launch week or that the Wii has beat it in a holiday week (impulse buying of a cheaper machine ) doesnt mean anything .The PS3 is selling well in Europe ,there is stock but you keep seeing people buying the machine at the stores just not like the launch day of course .Enjoy life and stop looking obsesively at numbers ,may will come and july will come and september will finally come and then we will see if Sony has sold more or less than 1.3 million consoles as MS stated boldly end of september last year .

For those of you saying the Wii sold 25,000 in UK. That is 100,000 in UK alone, consider it is about a quarter of Europe sales.

That means that 100,000 Wii's are being sold weekly in Europe. Nintendo's biggest market.  Wow. I thought it was their smallest... *shrug*

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Andrew said:

In england I was expecting it to drop off, but what about places like Germany and Spain?

I heard that the other consoles don't do that well over their.

i think in Germany the wii is doing better than ps3, but i'm not sure.But i'm from Spain and i think none of them are being sold very well, though i think that wii is selling better than the ps3 and xbox360.