By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 drops out of UK Top10 - after 3 weeks

Somewhat continuing on what Andrew said, obviously while the Xbox 360 and Wii are both doing exceptionally well in the UK and will likely put up a great deal of resistance to PS3 sales, what about the other countries in Europe? There seems to be a general opinion that the 360 isn't doing incredibly well in the other countries and I imagine there may  be a couple places where the Wii isn't doing as well as it normally does, which of course isn't saying much since it generally sells out pretty quick in most areas on God's green earth. So while the sales in the U.K. are quickly dropping off as you would expect after launch, does that necessarily mean it will be dissapointing all across Europe, obviously I don;'t have actual nubmers so if someone wants to follow this up that'd be dandy, and you might actually make a decent point too!

Around the Network

Honestly, with how the PS3 is selling in Japan and North America (and with how it will likely sell in Europe through May) I anticipate that third party publishers will force Sony into dropping the price of the PS3 at E3 this year. EA, Take Two, Ubisoft, Sega, Namco-Bandai, Square-Enix and Konami have all spend a lot of money producing games for the PS3 and are probably not going to tolerate it selling poorly for much longer. It is unlikely that they would drop existing PS3 projects but they probably would port them to the XBox 360 and aviod new PS3 projects.

It's over. This was their last chance. I really didn't expect anything different.

The world is made up predominantly of working class people whether you call them poor or middle.

These folks have to pay special attention to a dollar or a euro or a pound. You can't use elitist tactics to sell mass market items. You either cater your goods FOR those elites or you cater your goods for the masses. Not both. As long as you're working for your money you are not rich. When your money works for YOU, *THEN* you are rich.

Outside of the technophiles, the status seekers, the 'hood rich, and spendthrifts nobody is willing to pay that much for a game machine REGARDLESS of what it can do.

Sony is officially in trouble now. And no it's not too early to say it. I've been reserving comment for awhile & now it's time to outright say it. Cautiousness is passé as far as I'm concerned on this subject.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Ummm.... After selling 165k its first week, exactly what did you expect it to do? Sell 50k+ a week?

It's a friggin 399+ (pound) system!!!! Of course it's not gonna sell great after launch. The fanboys that had the cash got it, and now the people that casually want it are going to buy it.

17k isn't too bad, provided it doesn't drop much more.

15-19k a week (similar to Japan) should be pretty good and typical. At a 2.5x rate, that'd be around 52.5k a week in Europe..Slightly higher than it is in the US (42.5k a week) and far above Japan (17.5k a week).

So the PS3 is moving around 110k units a week, or 440k a month (give or take) vs. 1m-ish for the Wii and 500k-ish for the 360.

Not bad for a $600/40k yen/399pd/Euro system.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Its over , no way . It is far far too early to even imagine sony arent a major factor . Sure sales arent great but heck who can afford the damn thing . Nearly everybody i know wants a ps3 nobody has a wii except me but its just way too expensive for now . It is no coincidence that production of the ps3 is being ramped up for xmas i expect a few major developments including a lower price point . To say it is over is extremely nieve and shows the sheer arrogance of some nintendo fanboys .

Edit : I've bought every single nintendo console so don't even dream of calling me a sony fanboy just a realist .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

the price is 600€ in Europe ;)

mrstickball said:

Ummm.... After selling 165k its first week, exactly what did you expect it to do? Sell 50k+ a week?

It's a friggin 399+ (pound) system!!!! Of course it's not gonna sell great after launch. The fanboys that had the cash got it, and now the people that casually want it are going to buy it.

17k isn't too bad, provided it doesn't drop much more.

15-19k a week (similar to Japan) should be pretty good and typical. At a 2.5x rate, that'd be around 52.5k a week in Europe..Slightly higher than it is in the US (42.5k a week) and far above Japan (17.5k a week).

So the PS3 is moving around 110k units a week, or 440k a month (give or take) vs. 1m-ish for the Wii and 500k-ish for the 360.

It may not be bad for an expensive system, but it is bad for a system in general and may get even worse.

kalent said:

Somewhat continuing on what Andrew said, obviously while the Xbox 360 and Wii are both doing exceptionally well in the UK and will likely put up a great deal of resistance to PS3 sales, what about the other countries in Europe? There seems to be a general opinion that the 360 isn't doing incredibly well in the other countries and I imagine there may  be a couple places where the Wii isn't doing as well as it normally does, which of course isn't saying much since it generally sells out pretty quick in most areas on God's green earth. So while the sales in the U.K. are quickly dropping off as you would expect after launch, does that necessarily mean it will be dissapointing all across Europe, obviously I don;'t have actual nubmers so if someone wants to follow this up that'd be dandy, and you might actually make a decent point too!

Well I can only speak of Sweden, and I would say that xbox360 isn't selling that great, not bad but not great either. I would state that because the insane bundles that has starting to appear, that or Mircrosoft makes a last desperate plunge to win some ground against Wii and PS3.

Wii is sold out, but I have no idea how large the shipment to us is.

PS3 isn't sold out, but we have had quit good bundles from the start. Seems to be selling pretty well actuly for a small country has sweden. Think we got 14k or something to the launch. At least that wasn't sold out.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

the fanboys ANTI-sony are very happy, but i believe it's soon, too soon for jumping happy.......

PLAYSTATION®3

UK, Week 1:  Launch, 165k sold of 220k shipped

Normal people: It didn't even sell out, sales will drop off hard next week, everyone who wanted one already has one.

Sony fans: 165k sold records set Sony wins Europe!

UK, Week 2:  Sales drop 82% to 30k sold

Normal people:  See sales are dropping off already.

Sony fans:  Are you crazy 30k a week is awesome for such a small country, if it maintains that level forever Sony wins Europe!

UK, Week 3:  Sales drop again to 17k sold, outsold by Wii at 25k sold (360 still low at 11k sold)

Normal people:  PS3 isn't even winning anymore in its third week, it's dropped off just like in NA and Japan.

Sony fans:  Well, 17k isn't too bad if they keep it up every week, and we're still beating 360, who cares about the cheap fad Wii, Sony wins Europe!

-----

Now, what happens when Week 4 rolls around and the PS3 has dropped again to 10k?  What will be the excuses then?