By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN Hilary Goldstein: "Why i Switched to PS3"

1 - am I the only one reading this as more of a 'PS3 looks likely to be my main platform' in 2011 vs a total switch?  Seems to me he's planning on using his 360 too from his comments.  He's not selling his 360 and using PS3 only, he's just noting that in 2011 PS3 will have more titles that appeal to him personally

2 - for a subject with lot's of who cares respones there's a lot of replies!

3 - he's another reviewer who doesn't understand what a simulator actually is

4 - this is just another attention atricle in the end

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

At the mo PS3 is way out ahead in front with the exclusives. MS will dedicate 2011 to Kinect. If Kinect is a big success then it might stay that course for the rest of this gen with 360 only hardcore gamers having to rely on 3rd party games and a handful of exclusives.

●---------------------------------------●
     Happy New Yearâ—Ž,â—Žappy shopping
●---------------------------------------●

http://www.etradinglife.com

" preferential, my friend! ! Christmas is coming, quick to our website shopping, our web site shopping there will be something different, unexpected things to you, let you have different sense, our website wholesale various fashion shoes, such as Nike, Jordan, prada, also includes the jeans, shirt, bags, hats and decoration. All these products are our free transport, prices are competitive, we can also accept paypal j, after the payment within short time, can ship.

competitive price

any size available

accept the paypal

SOCCER JERSEY 16US

jordan shoes $32

Christan Audigier bikini $23

Ed Hardy Bikini $23

Sunglass $15

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

He still has 360 fanboyism in him. He was delusional enough to say that Forza is better that GT.

What are you talking about? He stated preference in genres. He likes Halo over any Shooter on PS3 and he likes Forza better than GT5. Its not fanboyism...just plain old preference.

Actually he was clearly making a statement as if it was actual fact, not giving an opinion "Forza is superior to Gran Turismo 5, Halo is better than any first-person shooter on PS3, etc" Now if he had said imo,ect, then it would have been his opinion or preference.

on a pure gaming front, he's not too far off, they are better as "fun" console "games." I personally like GT5 better overall but that's because I'm driving on a G27 with a Playseat and a big ass 3DTV right in front of me right now and Forza can't give me that since I'd need a new wheel and no 3D (really helps the turning, rocks when driving with PC racers too.) Out of any console FPS, I really did play Halo the most out of them all, though I still prefer PC for those in the end.

Badassbab said:

At the mo PS3 is way out ahead in front with the exclusives. MS will dedicate 2011 to Kinect. If Kinect is a big success then it might stay that course for the rest of this gen with 360 only hardcore gamers having to rely on 3rd party games and a handful of exclusives.

I already said it way back that if these motion controls sell a lot, it'd fuck up a lot of the future games for a lot of people because corps like MS is out to make money and not listen to the minority's QQing. 360 is going to be Wii-a-fied, in a bad way.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Squilliam said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I totally agree with him. This is exactly the way that I feel. Microsoft really. The Wii is looking more appealing to me than the 360 right now.

Whatever floats your boat.

I like gurlz.

Seece likes boyz.

You like Wii.

I like girls exclusively. I'm not multi-platforming when it comes to women. Yes, the PS3 is the console of choice and again I am thinking of getting a Wii over the 360. :)

Reasoning:

Resident evil franchise

Mario Franchise

Donkey Kong

Mad World

The Last Story

Metroid: The other M

and much, much more. 

IGN was also right that Nintendo had the most top games last year without the commercialization. As crappy of an article as this hilary person wrote, I agree with the main point.

I know this is going off topic.  But let my just say that for the reasons you described, Nintendo is far more hardcore than people give them credit for whether it's because of the common misperception of their more casual selling games such as Wii Fit and Play, or it's sheer ignorance and denial.

I know Nintendo can be core. Nintendo is probably where a lot of core gamers got their start. Nintendo comes to a screeching halt though with their offerings sometimes. When they lose third party support it hurts them badly like it did last gen and the gen before that. Sony took that from them hence why Sony sacked a lot of core gamers. The reason Nintendo pissed me off the most is because they did for a long time what Microsoft is doing now. 

makingmusic476 said:
Darc Requiem said:
Hynad said:
Darc Requiem said:
huaxiong90 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

He still has 360 fanboyism in him. He was delusional enough to say that Forza is better that GT.

It could be better to many people just as a racer. But as a sim, it seems to be generally agreed upon that GT is superior.

Can you still play "bumper cars" in the corners in GT5? If so then, GT5 is not a better sim having the same critical flaw that GT1 had on PS1.

Indeed, the "bumping cars" thing is the only thing important to take into account when deciding what makes a sim a good one.  To hell with car handling and physics. ¬_¬

Gran Turismo released in 1997. Gran Turismo 5 released in 2010. GT5 should not have the same unrealistic flaw as GT1, GT2, GT3, and GT4. So if it has the same "bumper car" flaw as the original game in the series had two hardware generations ago, then simulation aspect is inherently flawed.

Mechanical damage is a toggle option in Arcade Mode, and it's implementation in GT Mode depends on the level of the race in which you're competing.  A level 20 race will have significant repercussions for hitting other drivers, for example, alongside much more challenging AI and other gameplay changes, while a level 1 race will be far more simplistic.

When you know so little about one of the two games, it sounds more like you're simply trying to champion your preffered franchise rather than do any sort of proper comparison.

Granted, the other guy wasn't much better, but at least he didn't question basic information we've known about for over a year.

Apparently the meaning of if is being missed here. I haven't played GT5. Hence, I said if it still had the flaw it's simulation aspects are flawed.

RolStoppable said:

If you don't own both a 360 and a PS3, then you aren't a real gamer?

How times have changed. Back in the good old days the only requirement to be not a real gamer was to own a Wii, but now you absolutely have to own both HD consoles to be considered a real gamer.

Well,to be honest, 90% of AAA games in this generation are on Xbox 360 and PS3 while 10% are on Wii. Wii barealy even has 10 games on MC over 90 while PS3 and Xbox have over 30 gaes with 90 ranking. Wii seems to lack core games that dont include Mario or Zelda.

Her (?) article is very personal-opinion based, which is hard to argue against, but some facts are debatable:

- I find Trophies inferior to Achievements for one major reason: not all games have Trophies!! It really sucks to download a PSN game and find out it has no Trophy support. Achievements were there from the beggining, giving a sense of perfection, completion, while Trophies are more like a rushed feature added a bit too late. The Platinum is very cool, however.

- Multiplat games, people mention Bayonetta as the top example of 360 winning over PS3, but there are many more examples. Playing some games side-by-side has allowed me to spot some differences. For example Super Street Fighter IV, which most people believe to be identical, is slightly superior on the 360 due to Anti-Aliasing which is not featured on the PS3, giving a more aliased look. List goes on.... Of course PS3 ports improved over time but they are still most of the time inferior to the 360 versions. One major exception is Final Fantasy XIII on the PS3 which is really superior.

Considering the 2011 announced lineups it might be indeed a good time to switch to PS3, but the reasoning is usually too personal (for example, Call of Duty could look 10X better on the 360 that I wouldn't care, I don't play shooters anyway). Both consoles have many advantages over the other, no wonder many people choose to own both.

dahuman said:

Btw, if you don't know who Hil is, he's one of the funniest people I've listened to on IGN podcasts. He just speaks his mind and he's more of a realist who has no brand loyalty like me, only I made the move much earlier than he did and I'm not a fat bastard like him =P. Shame on SEGA for Bayonetta on PS3 though, shame on them!

Colin > Hil