By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2010 (Dec 20 - Dec 26)

NoCtiS_NoX said:
jarrod said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

PSP is the number 1 handheld ( console whatever ) in Japan this year. 

PSP YTD=  2.798.638

NDS YTD= 2.772.043

Only by Media Create; Famitsu and Dengeki both have DS ahead by over 100k.  And there's one more week for the year, so DS may actually nab the top spot in MC too.

Well we are in Media create's sales thread aren't we?

Well sure, I'm just adding some perspective.  There was also some confusion earlier if these were actually Famitsu numbers or not, so it's not like I'm the first to mention another tracker in this thread.

And you're still prematurely awarding 2010 PSP above, it's not exactly unlikely DS will take the year considering it's only 20k behind, outsold PSP by 10k this week, and next week will have the first several days of the new year (ie: when kids go out and blow all their holiday cash).

Around the Network

Buzzi said:

Actually I don't think the PS3 version of Ni No Kuni will be able to reach 500k, the DS one sold just 350k during holidays and DS has a much bigger userbase, but maybe this is an advantage for PS3, the game could push more systems, which is what I'm wondering about. Anyway looks to me like both Wii and PS3 will end up selling about the same, just some bundles or price cuts could give one a big advantage over the other IMHO.

Well, I was thinking more best case for all the games above, but in defense of Ninokuni DS, the holidays aren't over yet and it'll probably sell around 100k next week.  It should clear it's 600k shipment pretty soon (end of Jan at the latest), which while less than I originally expected for it, isn't all that bad for a new RPG IP.  For comparison, Inazuma Eleven 1 only sold ~400k lifetime, and look where that series is now...

As far as system sellers, the only one on either platform is DQX imo.  And rest assurred, Nintendo will be going all out for it's release (bundles, new color Wii, etc).

jarrod said:

Buzzi said:

Actually I don't think the PS3 version of Ni No Kuni will be able to reach 500k, the DS one sold just 350k during holidays and DS has a much bigger userbase, but maybe this is an advantage for PS3, the game could push more systems, which is what I'm wondering about. Anyway looks to me like both Wii and PS3 will end up selling about the same, just some bundles or price cuts could give one a big advantage over the other IMHO.

Well, I was thinking more best case for all the games above, but in defense of Ninokuni DS, the holidays aren't over yet and it'll probably sell around 100k next week.  It should clear it's 600k shipment pretty soon (end of Jan at the latest), which while less than I originally expected for it, isn't all that bad for a new RPG IP.  For comparison, Inazuma Eleven 1 only sold ~400k lifetime, and look where that series is now...

As far as system sellers, the only one on either platform is DQX imo.  And rest assurred, Nintendo will be going all out for it's release (bundles, new color Wii, etc).

Will be released for 3DS in 2012 ;)

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Buzzi said:
jarrod said:

Buzzi said:

Maybe it will be a crossover Wii/3DS game, hence the delay...

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Buzzi said:
jarrod said:

Buzzi said:

You seem to be confused, I said DQX, not DQXI. ;)

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:

Maybe it will be a crossover Wii/3DS game, hence the delay...

Doubt it.  DQ just doesn't work that way.  DQXI is a sure bet for 3DS though imo.

RolStoppable said:
jarrod said:

Probably the latter half of Q1, sometime in February or March, depending on it's lineup.  It's awful right now, but it'll fill out some (ex: Earth Seeker is Q1 but needs a date, Inazuma Eleven Strikers might make it too, Rhythm Heaven surprise, localizations for Epic Mickey or Goldeneye, etc) and it's arguably already better than Q1 2010 was (which really only had Biohazard DSC and Reginliev to drum up any interest, lol).  

<snip>

Looking at those release lists one could think that Nintendo systems are the worst selling ones in Nippon.

Sure, but look at the substance of those lists, not just the numbers.  The HD twins are loaded with games made by the west and/or for the west, while PSP is drowning is lowbudget ADV shovelware aimed at the Aikhabara Otaku.  If we take both those niches out of the equation (and edutainment/slots/board/non-games too), then we're left with...

Wii

• 01.27.11 The Last Story (Nintendo)
  • 02.10.11 Sengoku Musou 3 Moushouden (Temco Koei) aka: Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends
  • 02.24.11 Rune Factory Oceans (Marvelous)
  • 02.24.11 SD Gundam G Generation World (Bandai)
  • 03.27.11 Ikenie no Yoru (Marvelous Entertainment) aka: Night of the Sacrifice

PlayStation 3

• 01.13.11 Arcana Heart 3 (Arc System Works)
  • 01.20.11 Majin to Ushinawareta Oukoku (Bandai) aka: Majin and the Fallen Kingdom
  • 01.27.11 Wizardry Twin Pack (Acquire)
  • 02.10.11 Sengoku Musou 3 Z (Tecmo Koei) aka: Samurai Warriors 3 Z
  • 02.17.11 Catherine (Atlus)
  • 02.17.11 Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Capcom)
  • 02.17.11 Samurai Dou 4 (Acquire) aka: Way of the Samurai 4)
  • 02.24.11 Makai Senki Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Soft)
  • 02.24.11 Rune Factory Oceans (Marvelous Entertainment)
  • 03.10.11 Shin Sangoku Musou 6 (Tecmo Koei) aka: Dynasty Warriors 7
  • 03.10.11 Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4: Summer Memories (IREM Software Engineering) aka: Disaster Report 4
  • 03.17.11 Ryu Ga Gotoku: The End (SEGA) aka: Yakuza: The End
  • 03.31.11 Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! Meikai Katsugeki Wide-Han (Cyberfront)

Xbox 360

• 01.20.11 Majin to Ushinawareta Oukoku (Bandai) aka: Majin and the Fallen Kingdom
  • 01.27.11 Gal*Gun (Alchemist)
  • 02.03.11 DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label (Cave)
  • 02.10.11 Entaku no Seito: Students of Round (EXP Inc)
  • 02.24.11 Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets (Cave) 
  • 02.24.11 The Idolm@ster 2 (Namco)

PlayStation 2

• none

...and for the hell of it, here's the handhelds...

Nintendo DS

• 01.06.11 SaGa 3: Jiiku no Hasha: Shadow or Light (Square Enix)
  • 01.20.11 Kaiju Busters Powered (Bandai)
  • 01.20.11 Zombie Daisuki (Chunsoft)
  • 02.03.11 Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Botouden (Bandai)
  • 02.03.11 Gyakuten Kenji 2 (Capcom) aka: Ace Attorney Investigations 2
  • 02.10.11 Dengeki Gakuen RPG: Cross of Venus Special (ACSII Media Works)
  • 03.03.11 Digimon Story: Super Xross Wars Red / Blue (Bandai)
  • 03.17.11 Powerful Pro Golf (Konami)
  • 03.31.11 Dragon Quest Monsters JOKER 2 Professional (Square Enix)

PSP

• 01.13.11 Another Century's Episode Portable (Bandai)
  • 01.20.11 Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep: Final Mix (Square Enix)
  • 01.20.11 Venus & Braves: Majo to Megami to Horobi no Yogen (Namco)
  • 01.27.11 Kenka Banchou 5: Otoko no Housoku (Spike)
  • 01.27.11 Senjou no Valkyria 3 (SEGA) aka: Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • 02.03.11 Macross Triangle Frontier (Bandai)
  • 02.03.11 Shirokishi Monogatari Episode Portable: Dogma Wars (Sony Computer Entertainment) aka: White Knight Chronciles Portable
  • 02.03.11 Violet no Atelier: Guramnat no Renkinjutsu 2: Gunjou no Omoide (Gust)
  • 02.10.11 Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 (Namco)ccoli)
  • 02.10.11 Yuusha 30 Second (Marvelous Entertainment) aka: Half Minute Hero 2
  • 02.17.11 DJ Max Portable 3 (Cyberfront)
  • 02.24.11 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 5 (Tecmo Koei)
  • 02.24.11 Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity (SEGA)
  • 02.24.11 SD Gundam G Generation World (Bandai)
  • 03.03.11 Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy (Square Enix)
  • 03.03.11 Persona 2: Tsumi (Atlus)
  • 03.10.11 Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen (Bandai)
  • 03.17.11 Danball Senki (Level 5) aka: LBX: Little Battler eXperience
  • 03.24.11 Classic Dungeon 2 (Nippon Ichi Soft)

Nintendo 3DS

• 02.26.11 Layton Kyouju to Kiseki no Kamen (Level 5) aka: Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
  • 02.26.11 Nintendogs plus Cats (Nintendo)
  • 02.26.11 Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)
  • 02.26.11 Ridge Racer R (Namco)
  • 02.26.11 Sengoku Musou Chronicle (Tecmo Koei) aka: Samurai Warriors Chronicles
  • 02.26.11 Steel Diver (Nintendo)
  • 02.26.11 Super Monkey Ball 3D (SEGA)
  • 02.26.11 Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
  • 02.26.11 Zelda no Densetsu: Toki no Ocarina (Nintendo) aka: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

RolStoppable said:
jarrod said:
RolStoppable said:

Looking at those release lists one could think that Nintendo systems are the worst selling ones in Nippon.

Sure, but look at the substance of those lists, not just the numbers.  The HD twins are loaded with games made by the west and/or for the west, while PSP is drowning is lowbudget ADV shovelware aimed at the Aikhabara Otaku.  If we take both those niches out of the equation (and edutainment/slots/board/non-games too), then we're left with...

<snip>

I don't get your point. Now that you've removed those niches, the DS and Wii release lists are still the shorter ones. Not by as much as before, but still notably shorter than the ones of their respective competitor's.

Well sure, but Wii's always been a 3rd party wasteland and DS is getting it successor in Q1.  My revised list was just to point out the disparity really is not as extreme as the pure numbers make it look... PS3/360/PSP are getting a lot of stuff that appeals to hardcore niches and pretty much no one else, but the more "general" support is more evenly distributed.

You can bet that 3DS list is going to massively bulk up in a few weeks too...

jarrod said:
RolStoppable said:
jarrod said:

Probably the latter half of Q1, sometime in February or March, depending on it's lineup.  It's awful right now, but it'll fill out some (ex: Earth Seeker is Q1 but needs a date, Inazuma Eleven Strikers might make it too, Rhythm Heaven surprise, localizations for Epic Mickey or Goldeneye, etc) and it's arguably already better than Q1 2010 was (which really only had Biohazard DSC and Reginliev to drum up any interest, lol).  

<snip>

Xbox 360

• 01.27.11 Gal*Gun (Alchemist)
  • 02.03.11 DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label (Cave)
  • 02.10.11 Entaku no Seito: Students of Round (EXP Inc)
  • 02.24.11 Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets (Cave) 
  • 02.24.11 The Idolm@ster 2 (Namco)

Dream Club Zero also coming 1.27.11

this game will be big for 360,because

(well,Dream Club sold 45000 first week)

With the success of MH on the PSP,  I expect at one DQ on the psp SOON.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)