By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: 3-rated games, bias and fanboyism should GO!

Conegamer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

well i agree, although fanboyisom is getting out of hand, but letting them get to you and not reporting them to the proper mod-authorities (lol) isn't going to solve the problem. reporting them not quoting them and ignoring them will. and remember this is a gamers war, and now you know wht the problem is.

COD games (even BOPS)has the stupidest AI ever so ur point is agiven, but the story is on point and very good IMO.

all MARIO games have given me problems so misjudging any game based on looks alone isn't a smart move b y a reall so called hardcore gamer.

This, times 9001. Looks shouldn't be the judging factor for "hardcore" gaming. Gameplay should be.

Glad I'm not alone!

(What happened at the underlined bit? I think I'm missing something here...)

Since no unanimous definition for hardcore game exist. I think in your next editorial you should start by defining your theme. What I get is that you base hardcore on the difficulty. Others will base it on the age rating for example. Or will base on the complexity of the story. Theres no right or wrong answer to this. Next editorial would gain from being a bit more gray, less black or white. Also, trying to be open to different logic then yours would help in going deeper on the subject. Take it as positive critic.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
Conegamer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

well i agree, although fanboyisom is getting out of hand, but letting them get to you and not reporting them to the proper mod-authorities (lol) isn't going to solve the problem. reporting them not quoting them and ignoring them will. and remember this is a gamers war, and now you know wht the problem is.

COD games (even BOPS)has the stupidest AI ever so ur point is agiven, but the story is on point and very good IMO.

all MARIO games have given me problems so misjudging any game based on looks alone isn't a smart move b y a reall so called hardcore gamer.

This, times 9001. Looks shouldn't be the judging factor for "hardcore" gaming. Gameplay should be.

Glad I'm not alone!

Since no unanimous definition for hardcore game exist. I think in your next editorial you should start by defining your theme. What I get is that you base hardcore on the difficulty. Others will base it on the age rating for example. Or will base on the complexity of the story. Theres no right or wrong answer to this. Next editorial would gain from being a bit more gray, less black or white. Also, trying to be open to different logic then yours would help in going deeper on the subject. Take it as positive critic.

Hmm...I see your point, and where you're coming from.

OK, for my next one (whch may be in quite a while, sadly, due to exams ) I shall attempt to do what you say. Perhaps unsuccessfully, but I'll give it a go.

You should always be open to criticism

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Icyedge said:
Conegamer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Glad I'm not alone!

OK, for my next one (whch may be in quite a while, sadly, due to exams ) I shall attempt to do what you say. Perhaps unsuccessfully, but I'll give it a go.

I've seen that aside from the arbitrary "any game that isn't something grandma would like" definition in the wake of the Wii's success (which is why I call it arbitrary, as it's just for the sake of making "us versus them"), or even defining any sufficiently "graphically intense" game as hardcore (which is basically like praising a movie for the special effects over anything else), hardcore can have many meanings with a game.

Extreme difficulty could be one form of hardcore, which would make more older games hardcore.

There could be "pick up and play" versus "time intensive", with the latter being a form of "hardcore". You can get into a round or two of multiplayer Gears of War (or even single player, with all the checkpoints), but try just hopping into a Persona game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:
Icyedge said:
Conegamer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Glad I'm not alone!

I've seen that aside from the arbitrary "any game that isn't something grandma would like" definition in the wake of the Wii's success (which is why I call it arbitrary, as it's just for the sake of making "us versus them"), or even defining any sufficiently "graphically intense" game as hardcore (which is basically like praising a movie for the special effects over anything else), hardcore can have many meanings with a game.

Extreme difficulty could be one form of hardcore, which would make more older games hardcore.

There could be "pick up and play" versus "time intensive", with the latter being a form of "hardcore". You can get into a round or two of multiplayer Gears of War (or even single player, with all the checkpoints), but try just hopping into a Persona game.

Also worth mentioning is how the definition of hardcore changes over time, as "classic" hardcore is more like, as you say, a "difficult but enjoyable game". The enjoyable part is important

A lot of gamers who were introduced to gaming this gen or last gen think hardcore to be a game which involves blood, gore and violence, therefore hardcore is defined as an age rating. I think this is what should be rectified. GRAPHICS DON'T IMPACT DIFFICULTY!

RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:

I know that it is perfect, because if it wasn't, Nintendo wouldn't have been able to keep using it for 30 years and still get away with it.

Yeah well, people who buy Mario games dont exactly have a high standard when it comes to stories.

And plus, people dont buy Mario games for story, they buy them because its mario. Platforming fun. Thats it

There you have it. This means that injecting what you call a good story would make a game like Super Mario worse, not better.

So Nintendo cant make a game with good gameplay AND good story? They should take some lessions from Naughty Dog than :)

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Beuli2 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Beuli2 said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:

Like Super Mario Bros. 3 for example.

The story was quite good 16 years ago... you know, when I was 10 years old.

It's still good today. The perfect story for a video game.

No it isnt. You know it isnt

What he means is that games shouldn't have story at all, just a cause.

Why not? Why shouldnt a game have a good story? Whats wrong with that? Games with good stories>>>> Games with bad stories

Not sales wise.

Sales dont always equal quality

Quality is an opinion. The majority thinks Super Mario Bros 3 for instance is quality, while the minority thinks games like Heavy Rain or God of War are quality.

It isn't actualy. I dont have to  like one game but i cant say its not a quality game. Gran Turismo 5 for an example. I dont like racings sims at all but i cant deny that its a quality driving simulator game. Same with Crysis series. I see its appeal and lot of people will love it, but i find it uninteresting.  Its still a quality game.

And i think that more people KNOW about Super Mario than GOW and Heavy Rain. Its a much bigger brand.

pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:

I know that it is perfect, because if it wasn't, Nintendo wouldn't have been able to keep using it for 30 years and still get away with it.

Yeah well, people who buy Mario games dont exactly have a high standard when it comes to stories.

And plus, people dont buy Mario games for story, they buy them because its mario. Platforming fun. Thats it

There you have it. This means that injecting what you call a good story would make a game like Super Mario worse, not better.

So Nintendo cant make a game with good gameplay AND good story? They should take some lessions from Naughty Dog than :)

They can. See Metroid: Other M, Super Mario RPGs (Bowser's inside story has an awesome story), Professor Layton. To name but a few

Conegamer said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:

They can. See Metroid: Other M, Super Mario RPGs (Bowser's inside story has an awesome story), Professor Layton. To name but a few

Wasnt that a massive dissapointment ? Thats what i heard from fourm users and web sites

Conegamer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:
Icyedge said:
Conegamer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Glad I'm not alone!

Also worth mentioning is how the definition of hardcore changes over time, as "classic" hardcore is more like, as you say, a "difficult but enjoyable game". The enjoyable part is important

A lot of gamers who were introduced to gaming this gen or last gen think hardcore to be a game which involves blood, gore and violence, therefore hardcore is defined as an age rating. I think this is what should be rectified. GRAPHICS DON'T IMPACT DIFFICULTY!

Thats a great point.

pizzahut451 said:
Conegamer said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:

Wasnt that a massive dissapointment ? Thats what i heard from fourm users and web sites

I rated it 9.4/10, and I'm not a Metroid fan.

The only people who found it a "massive dissapointment" were people who had their expectations either too high, expected it to fail from the start or expected it to be 2D. It wasn't. It was different. Not as good as the Prime series, but certainly no disappointment...

(see: Super Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess. These are similar, and I love them all)