By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: 3-rated games, bias and fanboyism should GO!

RolStoppable said:
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:

Exactly: Gamers.

If you consider that only your uber genre can be call gamers, then yes. :P

No offense, but that sentence isn't coherent.

Not all gamers play mario. Unless only the Mario's player "your uber genre :P", can be called gamers.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Icyedge said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:

I know that it is perfect, because if it wasn't, Nintendo wouldn't have been able to keep using it for 30 years and still get away with it.

It is the perfect story for the audience their aiming at.

I kind of think icy isn't looking for a game but for an all-in-one entertainment pack. The problem is those won't be truly great at any of those things.

There are many involving RPGs out there. A couple of action games too. Im not looking for perfection either. Also, im all for multiplayer party games. NSMB is quite good in this regard.

Okay, forgot about RPGs there, although their stories tend to be okay on average, since the flow of playing doesn't really lead to a tight, coherent plot.

As a whole, I dont think thats true. In any case, I enjoy gameplay too, so average story is better then bad or no story. Basicaly, the point was, if some dont like Mario it isnt necessarily because theres no blood/violence. Beside, you can take note that I respect other gamer that do not care for a story or human like being interactions.

Well games are supposed to be gameplay first, and any story is optional, given that the definition of a game is playing it. Anyone who bashes a game for being all about gameplay and no story, that person is basically wrong, as they aren't disliking a game based on its own merits (people are entitled to their own opinions...), but on an assumption that a game, even a video game, is something other than it is (... people are not entitled to their own facts).

That's not to you, but anyone who assumes a game is required to have a story. It's no better than disliking Harry Potter for promoting satanism (something that is neither true about the books, nor even what satanism really is).

EDIT: Just remembered I need to add that I'm not counting genres that actually require stories, like RPGs and visual novels, since part of their definitions are stories that you can play, even if the degree of those varies a lot.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Icyedge said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Icyedge said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
RolStoppable said:
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:

I know that it is perfect, because if it wasn't, Nintendo wouldn't have been able to keep using it for 30 years and still get away with it.

It is the perfect story for the audience their aiming at.

I kind of think icy isn't looking for a game but for an all-in-one entertainment pack. The problem is those won't be truly great at any of those things.

There are many involving RPGs out there. A couple of action games too. Im not looking for perfection either. Also, im all for multiplayer party games. NSMB is quite good in this regard.

Okay, forgot about RPGs there, although their stories tend to be okay on average, since the flow of playing doesn't really lead to a tight, coherent plot.

As a whole, I dont think thats true. In any case, I enjoy gameplay too, so average story is better then bad or no story. Basicaly, the point was, if some dont like Mario it isnt necessarily because theres no blood/violence. Beside, you can take note that I respect other gamer that do not care for a story or human like being interactions.

Well games are supposed to be gameplay first, and any story is optional, given that the definition of a game is playing it. Anyone who bashes a game for being all about gameplay and no story, that person is basically wrong, as they aren't disliking a game based on its own merits (people are entitled to their own opinions...), but on an assumption that a game, even a video game, is something other than it is (... people are not entitled to their own facts).

That's not to you, but anyone who assumes a game is required to have a story. It's no better than disliking Harry Potter for promoting satanism (something that is neither true about the books, nor even what satanism really is).

For me story isnt optional. Who are you to talk about different taste after writing this.

RolStoppable said:
Icyedge said:

Not all gamers play mario. Unless only the Mario's player "your uber genre :P", can be called gamers.

I still don't get your point. You previously said that the typical story of a Mario game is perfect for the audience Nintendo is aiming at and I responded by saying that that is gamers.

So unless you want to imply that people who play Mario games are not gamers, we aren't in disagreement here.

I see your thinking. Sure the audience of any video game are gamers... Personally, im used to use the word audience for a much more define audience, probably my marketing thinking.

LordTheNightKnight said:

EDIT: Just remembered I need to add that I'm not counting genres that actually require stories, like RPGs and visual novels, since part of their definitions are stories that you can play, even if the degree of those varies a lot.

Even with your edit, I hope you realise your post is wrong. The definition of game is quite large "An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime". 

What is a game for me may not be a game for you, vice-versa. Even working can be an interesting game even though the gameplay isnt so great. ; )

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Even with your edit, I hope you realise your post is wrong. The definition of game is quite large "An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime". 

What is a game for me may not be a game for you, vice-versa. Even working can be an interesting game even though the gameplay isnt so great. ; )

You're just taking the first sense of the definition and twisting it. A game is something that has to be played. That's why "activity" is in there, as it requires some kind of action.

That's not an opinion. That is the actual definition.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Icyedge said:

You're just taking the first sense of the definition and twisting it. A game is something that has to be played. That's why "activity" is in there, as it requires some kind of action.

That's not an opinion. That is the actual definition.

Im not twisting anything. A game doesnt have requirements such as your example. The actual definition, as you say, is in the dictionary. Its simply doing an enjoyable action that occupy your time. Since its important for me, I can bash a game for not having a story. That isnt what I was doing in this thread though.

You seem to forget that when you read by pressing the X button and enjoy it, your playing. "To occupy oneself in amusement, sport, or other recreation"

Im sorry to post definition but its somewhat needed to understand each other. If we go by our own conception of a word no sense in talking with others.

"You seem to forget that when you read by pressing the X button and enjoy it, your playing."

And people think I'm trolling when I call them the Playstory generation.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

"You seem to forget that when you read by pressing the X button and enjoy it, your playing."

lol, your getting me wrong, it needs to be coupled with good gameplay too. Read the previous post too you will understand. The type of game I enjoy have good gameplay and story. Beside, I was already playing NES games 22 years ago, so im not so sure about your playstory generation. Surely, I didnt find the story really important back then.

Icyedge said:
Pyro as Bill said:

lol, your getting me wrong, it needs to be coupled with good gameplay too. Read the previous post too you will understand. The type of game I enjoy have good gameplay and story. Beside, I was already playing games 22 years ago, so im not so sure about your playstory generation.

Excluding videogames, do you expect a story in any other game you play?

Board games, card games, sports?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!