By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: 3-rated games, bias and fanboyism should GO!

RolStoppable said:
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:

Yeah well, people who buy Mario games dont exactly have a high standard when it comes to stories.

And plus, people dont buy Mario games for story, they buy them because its mario. Platforming fun. Thats it

There you have it. This means that injecting what you call a good story would make a game like Super Mario worse, not better.

Yes probably, but that isnt the point. Other games are suited for a storyline. Wheter or not theres a story, doesnt pose any problem, both games are games. Its the gamer choice to prefer one or the other. Its also the gamer choice to dismiss one for being story heavy or for having no story. Why are you guys making so much of a problem out of this statement?!?

Because the implication seems to be that games without or simple stories are lesser games than the ones that are story-heavy. That's just asking for a fight.

I never said that nor imply it. I even said multiple time that I understand and respect story isnt important to all gamers.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:

It's still good today. The perfect story for a video game.

No it isnt. You know it isnt

I know that it is perfect, because if it wasn't, Nintendo wouldn't have been able to keep using it for 30 years and still get away with it.

25 years.

Or have I slipped into another wormhole and travelled 5 years into the future again?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Beuli2 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Beuli2 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Beuli2 said:
pizzahut451 said:
RolStoppable said:
Icyedge said:
RolStoppable said:

Like Super Mario Bros. 3 for example.

The story was quite good 16 years ago... you know, when I was 10 years old.

It's still good today. The perfect story for a video game.

No it isnt. You know it isnt

What he means is that games shouldn't have story at all, just a cause.

Why not? Why shouldnt a game have a good story? Whats wrong with that? Games with good stories>>>> Games with bad stories

Not sales wise.

Sales dont always equal quality

Quality is an opinion. The majority thinks Super Mario Bros 3 for instance is quality, while the minority thinks games like Heavy Rain or God of War are quality.

This. However, I've been busy today, and I like the way this thread has de-railed so dramatically.

*adds idea of stories in video games to future thread topics*

Also, sales-wise, games based on story are bound to be doomed somewhat more than their counterparts. Look at Avatar at the cinema. Did it do so well due to its story? No, it was because it was FUN. 

Now look at COD, Mario etc. They all sell well because they were FUN. That's easy to explain.

Then look at Heavy Rain/ Alan Wake. Not so hot are they?

The only example which bucks the trend is Layton...but everyone enjoys puzzling!

(Also, I haven't seen your ranking yet, what is it? I may have missed it, but it said 37 new posts when I came on today)

Conegamer said:

This. However, I've been busy today, and I like the way this thread has de-railed so dramatically.

*adds idea of stories in video games to future thread topics*

Also, sales-wise, games based on story are bound to be doomed somewhat more than their counterparts. Look at Avatar at the cinema. Did it do so well due to its story? No, it was because it was FUN. 

Now look at COD, Mario etc. They all sell well because they were FUN. That's easy to explain.

Then look at Heavy Rain/ Alan Wake. Not so hot are they?

The only example which bucks the trend is Layton...but everyone enjoys puzzling!

(Also, I haven't seen your ranking yet, what is it? I may have missed it, but it said 37 new posts when I came on today)

What is fun for someone isnt necessarily fun for another. I would correct your statement to: they sell well because they are fun to a majority. Though, Heavy rain/Alan wake does sell well too. On a side note, I didnt meant to de-rail anything. My first post was related to your OP. I got bashed and misunderstood quite a bit after that.

well i agree, although fanboyisom is getting out of hand, but letting them get to you and not reporting them to the proper mod-authorities (lol) isn't going to solve the problem. reporting them not quoting them and ignoring them will. and remember this is a gamers war, and now you know wht the problem is.

COD games (even BOPS)has the stupidest AI ever so ur point is agiven, but the story is on point and very good IMO.

all MARIO games have given me problems so misjudging any game based on looks alone isn't a smart move b y a reall so called hardcore gamer.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:

I know that it is perfect, because if it wasn't, Nintendo wouldn't have been able to keep using it for 30 years and still get away with it.

25 years.

Or have I slipped into another wormhole and travelled 5 years into the future again?

Jumpman had to save his girlfriend from Donkey Kong in 1981.

We're talking about Jumpman here though. Mario started really in 1985.

Do you say Nintendo started as a video games company in the 1800's? Because that's when it was founded. Same thing. Different slightly. Little sense

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

well i agree, although fanboyisom is getting out of hand, but letting them get to you and not reporting them to the proper mod-authorities (lol) isn't going to solve the problem. reporting them not quoting them and ignoring them will. and remember this is a gamers war, and now you know wht the problem is.

COD games (even BOPS)has the stupidest AI ever so ur point is agiven, but the story is on point and very good IMO.

all MARIO games have given me problems so misjudging any game based on looks alone isn't a smart move b y a reall so called hardcore gamer.

This, times 9001. Looks shouldn't be the judging factor for "hardcore" gaming. Gameplay should be.

Glad I'm not alone!

(What happened at the underlined bit? I think I'm missing something here...)

RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

We're talking about Jumpman here though. Mario started really in 1985.

Do you say Nintendo started as a video games company in the 1800's? Because that's when it was founded. Same thing. Different slightly. Little sense

Always these damn semantics...

I've said Nintendo has been using the same story for 30 years now. That story goes "Hero saves his girl from a bad dude". No matter which names you give those characters, the plot remains the same.

OK/ 

> I concede. I misunderstod. I apologise :-/

Take this as a blessing, it doesn't happen often

Conegamer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

This, times 9001. Looks shouldn't be the judging factor for "hardcore" gaming. Gameplay should be.

Glad I'm not alone!

i made mod's seem more like cop's. its like someone saying report them to the proper authorities, and being band is like going to jail with the chance of a life sentence (permban)or parole in a month or so lol with the band person coming back reformed or the same and getting band again.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Conegamer said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Glad I'm not alone!

i made mod's seem more like cop's. its like someone saying report them to the proper authorities, and being band is like going to jail with the chance of a life sentence (permban)or parole in a month or so lol.

OK, I thought that;s what you meant. Just checking...