By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: 3-rated games, bias and fanboyism should GO!

Conegamer said:

I rated it 9.4/10, and I'm not a Metroid fan.

The only people who found it a "massive dissapointment" were people who had their expectations either too high, expected it to fail from the start or expected it to be 2D. It wasn't. It was different. Not as good as the Prime series, but certainly no disappointment...

(see: Super Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess. These are similar, and I love them all)

That's a bit of a strawman. Some people might have just thought the story was bad, because they think it's a bad story.

And before anyone goes "lots of game stories are bad", that still means those stories are bad.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:

The only people who found it a "massive dissapointment" were people who had their expectations either too high, expected it to fail from the start or expected it to be 2D. It wasn't. It was different. Not as good as the Prime series, but certainly no disappointment...

(see: Super Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess. These are similar, and I love them all)

That's a bit of a strawman. Some people might have just thought the story was bad, because they think it's a bad story.

And before anyone goes "lots of game stories are bad", that still means those stories are bad.

Perhaps, but my point was that it was a "love it or a hate it" game, not dissimilar to the games mentioned above.

Each main Nintendo series has one, and for Metroid, it just so happened to be Other M. Doesn't mean its any better or worse in my eyes. However, it does mean that it "splits the fanbase", hence why he said he thought it was rubbish.

Everything, in the end, is an opinion

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:

Perhaps, but my point was that it was a "love it or a hate it" game, not dissimilar to the games mentioned above.

Each main Nintendo series has one, and for Metroid, it just so happened to be Other M. Doesn't mean its any better or worse in my eyes. However, it does mean that it "splits the fanbase", hence why he said he thought it was rubbish.

Not everything. Unless you want to argue existentialsim. But stories are not all opinion. Otherwise someone could say that it's an opinion over whether Leonard Part 6 or Casablanca is a better movie.

I'm saying that the story of this game is objectively bad. It's poorly paced, poorly structured, has dialog that is trite, uninspired, and the only exploration of Samus is the game telling us what to think about her, which is not how a character study actually works.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:

Not everything. Unless you want to argue existentialsim. But stories are not all opinion. Otherwise someone could say that it's an opinion over whether Leonard Part 6 or Casablanca is a better movie.

I'm saying that the story of this game is objectively bad. It's poorly paced, poorly structured, has dialog that is trite, uninspired, and the only exploration of Samus is the game telling us what to think about her, which is not how a character study actually works.

Yeah, I haven't played through it again, although I want to, due to unskippable cutscenes. 

Towards the end (i.e. Section Z- Biosphere) the story gets quite good, but the delivery leaves much to be desired.

I'd like the metroid series to continue in this direction, but I don't see it happening somehow :-/

OP: Regarding the ratings being used as ammunition against "kiddy" consoles and games; it goes both ways, there was recently a thread (and therea are countless other examples as well) in here where a lot of users made it abundantly clear that violence in games was childish and stupid and uncalled for. There are those who think; any amount of blood in a game = bad game.

Just thought I'd point at the same problem from a different angle.

Anyways, I enjoy these threads of yours and I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed by you since you're only sixteen years old. You write very well and have reasoning skills on a level way above your peers!

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:

I didnt try it yet, but to me, it looks more appealing then the other metroid gamecube or Wii titles. Didnt particularly likes the 3D one, but I like the mix of Other M. I need to play this in a near future, as soon as I work less then I am right now.

Mummelmann said:

OP: Regarding the ratings being used as ammunition against "kiddy" consoles and games; it goes both ways, there was recently a thread (and therea are countless other examples as well) in here where a lot of users made it abundantly clear that violence in games was childish and stupid and uncalled for. There are those who think; any amount of blood in a game = bad game.

Just thought I'd point at the same problem from a different angle.

Anyways, I enjoy these threads of yours and I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed by you since you're only sixteen years old. You write very well and have reasoning skills on a level way above your peers!

Why thank you, a fair few people have been saying this, and I'm glad that people are enjoying them!

I have more ideas for threads (some of which could be VERY out-there), and if it wasn't for AS exams in a couple of weeks I'd do some of them. CRUEL FATE!

Also, I had a similar view to what you've mentioned about violence in video games, and how "blood in games=bad", until I really got into games such as Goldeneye Wii and COD, and Resident Evil. Now, its actually the quality of the game which I judge as opposed to the aesthetic styling. For me, that has no impact on how I play the game. If the game is good, it should be recognised, regardless of art style IMO.

If only more people thought the same way...

Icyedge said:
Conegamer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:

I didnt try it yet, but to me, it looks more appealing then the other metroid gamecube or Wii titles. Didnt particularly likes the 3D one, but I like the mix of Other M. I need to play this in a near future, as soon as I work less then I am right now.

I'd advise you to get it, it's damn good. If you didn't like Prime then maybe its more for you, because the FP modes are limited and not always required. Sorta like the shooting modes of the Resi games i.e. can't move in first person.

The price has dropped now, and here in the UK you can get them new for £12.99 . First time I've seen ANY first party Nintendo game drop in price so quickly...