By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Where do you go to find out more about a game?

Where do you go to find out more about a game?

GameSpot 18 10.06%

IGN 36 20.11%

GameTrailers 33 18.44%

VGChartz / gamrReview 30 16.76%

Google Search 23 12.85%

Other (specify) 39 21.79%

Total:179
ioi said:
TWRoO said:

I would guess you don't want this here, but hopefully the new features will include:

Hmm

Ha, ok... apologies.

I just don't like creating threads for things like that. (though I haven't created an original thread in ages... just repeats of VGC most wanted and the 10 week countdown)

My answer to your question still stands though: I tend to use the forum here for my news... and that generally includes the media I would want, occasionally I will need to search for something and I generally turn to google or the game database here.

Around the Network

Different sites for different sorts of information

If I'm looking to buy a game but I'm unsure of the gameplay - Youtube is normaly the best bet, you can find plenty of gameplay/reviews and trailers

If I want to see a few screen shots of old classic games, or the sales numbers of older games compare to newer games i use VGCHARTZ

If i want to find News out about games that arent released yet I go for N4G

youtube

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Gametrailers and Eurogamer

but VGC gains ground

When word of a new game comes out, I'm usually perusing around the Joystiq network when I find out about it, and they're coverage of the game is pretty good, if I must say. I come to VGC to see what the community is buzzing about with regards for that game, and any other miscellaneous stuff about it, I just go to Google and find whatever

Around the Network

google with keywords

grim dawn screenshots, last story trailer, etc

i will often google 'game title neogaf' as official neogaf threads have droves of up-to-date information and impressions in one place. Here, that same info is scattered in multiple threads and subsites making it tough to access quickly. I have not touched any part of this site except gamrconnect since the redesign.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Wikipedia for basic info, youtube for videos, gamefaqs user reviews if it's an older game.

ioi said:
Edouble24 said:

Wikipedia, It's surprising accurate for game news and it has links to most of the things stated, having all the info (date, development process, reviews, etc) in one spot makes it really nice. 

So Wikipedia seems to win out as it has everything in the one place? I guess what it doesn't directly have is reviews / previews / screenshots / videos but it does link out to those things.

Yeah, it doesn't do those things directly but it usually gives a summary (has review scores and talks about general reception) and if you want further details you can then click the links to other places. For quick information I think it's best, if I need some really in depth stuff I refer to Google if none of the Wiki links suffice. For videos, I like Gametrailers but I tend to wait until those are put up on youtube because the site runs slow as hell for me. I do like their original videos rather than stuff like the trailers that are posted on every game site. The Bonus Round and the like is cool to watch when I'm bored. 

Metacritic or youtube

i go to anything really when i type it in on google. if i want to see a video specificly  i use gametrailers. if i want to see pics i use ign. vgchartz i use for sales