By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai: PSN to enter black in 2011 fiscal year (i.e. from March)

Speaking to Reuters Japan this week (via Hachimaki), Sony Computer Entertainment President Kaz Hirai described the PlayStation Network as "in the red" but believed that it would turn a profit during the next fiscal year.

According to the report, PSN sales during the 2009 fiscal year added up to 36 billion yen (approx. $434.3 million USD). That number "nearly doubled" in 2010. However, Hirai said "we're aiming to enter the black during the 2011 fiscal year." Furthermore, he projected that PSN sales would reach 300 billion yen ($3.6 billion) in the 2012 fiscal year. He cited the number of registered PSN accounts (60 million as of November) as evidence of the service's growth.

In a separate English interview, Hirai said that Sony anticipated selling 15 million PlayStation 3 consoles by March 31st of next year, an increase from the 13 million they sold in the previous fiscal year.

Around the Network

I'm sorry your currently in the red sony. But from the bottom of my heart. THANK YOU for not charging me to use your service. I really REALLY respect that.

I'm glad they're starting to make a profit, and I also thank you Sony, for not charging me to Play online.

Oh and Playstation Plus rocks by the way. One of the better decisions by Sony this year.

Wow, you really have balls for not charging us Sony...(h5) to you! like people above said, thank you for not charging me even when your numbers are in red.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

I'm assuming PS Plus pushed them over the edge?

PS Plus
Home stuff
PSN avatars/themes
PSN games

I gotta say, ever since they put up MAG for free, started extending PS Plus discounts to PSP games, and I got into the KZ3/LBP2 betas, I've been very happy with the service.

Around the Network

That's good to hear,hopefully revenues/profits will keep increasing.

Online services cost, I am hoping this will put to rest any preconceptions that they are cheap to run.

Tease.

good news :) I'm glad, sony has treated their fans well

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

did Sony's Santa visit your homes? everyone is thankful

Squilliam said:

Online services cost, I am hoping this will put to rest any preconceptions that they are cheap to run.

not really anymore, you can keep a server going for cheap nowadays.