By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did it sell so much more on the PS3???

Chibi.V.29 said:
Boutros said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
jarrod said:
Seihyouken said:

The same reason why the PS3 version of Black Ops destroyed the Wii version in America despite the Wii having a bigger lead over PS3 than in Japan.

The core FPS and JRPG audiences simply don't have Wiis.

Can't attract the audience without the games.  ;)

Of course Graces Wii had some pretty big problems that extended beyond simply audience (it was unfinishably buggy, it launched in the wake of FFXIII)... I mean really, if it was just down to audience alone then there's no good reason for the game to have sold worse than the cheapo Symphonia spinoff did just a year earlier on the exact same system.  Honestly, I think had Graces been released at a different time (with no direct FFXIII competition) and without enough bugs to warrant mailed replacement discs (which killed it's legs), the game probably would've done 300k.  While that's still less than it's going to do on PS3, it'd be well more than it did sell with those issues.

Audience concerns (which *are* there) also are probably more specialized than just "JRPG audience", Tales games also sell better on DS than PSP, yet you never find anyone claiming a general JRPG audience problem there.  The "Tales audience" is on PlayStation certainly (and always has been imo), but that doesn't mean Nintendo (or Wii) doesn't have good representation with the general JRPG audience.

Thanx alot ^^ i was seriously confused, makes alot more sence when u consder ff13 comign out so soon after.

Don't listen to jarrod when it comes to RPG's   -.-

Lol why?

Because he thinks Super Paper Mario is a RPG.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Boutros said:

The JRPG audience is on the PS3.

And yet, nothing but Gust shovelware can even come close to the sales they managed on PS2.  Hpw's that work exactly? ;)

The truth is the JRPG audience is hugely fractured this gen, and there's some represntation on every system (even 360).  But really most of it is on DS and PSP (in that order).  And next gen most of it will go to 3DS (and probably PSP2).

I know you are getting a lot of hate recently, but you said is correct.  DS and PSP control a huge chunk of the fanbase for JRPGs, and each console has a slice of the fanbase.

Boutros said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Boutros said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
jarrod said:
Seihyouken said:

The same reason why the PS3 version of Black Ops destroyed the Wii version in America despite the Wii having a bigger lead over PS3 than in Japan.

The core FPS and JRPG audiences simply don't have Wiis.

Can't attract the audience without the games.  ;)

Of course Graces Wii had some pretty big problems that extended beyond simply audience (it was unfinishably buggy, it launched in the wake of FFXIII)... I mean really, if it was just down to audience alone then there's no good reason for the game to have sold worse than the cheapo Symphonia spinoff did just a year earlier on the exact same system.  Honestly, I think had Graces been released at a different time (with no direct FFXIII competition) and without enough bugs to warrant mailed replacement discs (which killed it's legs), the game probably would've done 300k.  While that's still less than it's going to do on PS3, it'd be well more than it did sell with those issues.

Audience concerns (which *are* there) also are probably more specialized than just "JRPG audience", Tales games also sell better on DS than PSP, yet you never find anyone claiming a general JRPG audience problem there.  The "Tales audience" is on PlayStation certainly (and always has been imo), but that doesn't mean Nintendo (or Wii) doesn't have good representation with the general JRPG audience.

Thanx alot ^^ i was seriously confused, makes alot more sence when u consder ff13 comign out so soon after.

Don't listen to jarrod when it comes to RPG's   -.-

Lol why?

Because he thinks Super Paper Mario is a RPG.

hahaha

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

jarrod said:
Boutros said:

And yet, nothing but Gust shovelware can even come close to the sales they managed on PS2.  Hpw's that work exactly? ;)

The truth is the JRPG audience is hugely fractured this gen, and there's some represntation on every system (even 360).  But really most of it is on DS and PSP (in that order).  And next gen most of it will go to 3DS (and probably PSP2).

How would you explain this then?:

Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (PS3)
Capcom
0.04 0.39 0.00 0.43
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (Wii)
Capcom
0.02 0.12 0.00 0.14

Not all that fractured.

Acevil said:
jarrod said:
Boutros said:

I know you are getting a lot of hate recently, but you said is correct.  DS and PSP control a huge chunk of the fanbase for JRPGs, and each console has a slice of the fanbase.

But the PS3 owns a bigger slice than the Wii , that's all

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Acevil said:
jarrod said:
Boutros said:

I have zero hate towards jarrod. I simply enjoy arguing with him.

psrock said:
Acevil said:
jarrod said:
Boutros said:

Well DUH....I mean who realistically wouldn't say that. Also Wait until DQX! :P

Boutros said:
Acevil said:
jarrod said:
Boutros said:

I have zero hate towards jarrod. I simply enjoy arguing with him.

Once again a legend of a post XD im gona start recordiong them all and write a book called "1 million and 1 epic boutros quotes" lol

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:

I'd  love to get a list of  games released on both sytems in Japan and their sales numbers.

And I keep hearing how tales went against FFXIII, didn't Tales PS3 go against MH3 psp which is much bigger?

MHP3 isn't in the exact same genre as FFXIII or Graces.  It's not like NSMBWii killed Graces sales (or FFXIII's sales for that matter).

MHP3 likely did take a bite out of Lord of Arcana, God Eater Burst, Fairy Tale and (soon) PSP2i to some degree though.

How do you know? Both games were released on two different systems which have noting in common. And there is twice as many Wii owners as PS3 owners.

Both Tales went against big games, The PS3 one came out on top. Deal with it.

We know because the JP retail blogs pretty much said so.  Lots of RPG buyers waited on Graces in favor of FFXIII, and when word of Graces massive bug issues spread, it basically killed sustained sales (Graces has the worst legs of any mothership Tales game, by a significant margin).  Why else exactly do you think Graces Wii (mothership game, Team Destiny, hardware bundle, holiday release, tons of ads) sold worse than Symphonia KOR (side game, Team Interns, no bundle, summer release, hardly any ads)? 

And deal with what?  I think Graces f would've sold better regardless, just like how Tales games sell better on PSP than DS.  That doesn't mean there aren't things that could've helped Graces Wii sell better than it did though.

Acevil said:
psrock said:
Acevil said:
jarrod said:
Boutros said:

Well DUH....I mean who realistically wouldn't say that. Also Wait until DQX! :P

i dont think DGX will sell as muh as 9. the DS fan base is threatningly huge! XD