By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Umm is sony still losing money on the ps3?

Immortal said:

Thanks a lot for explaining, :D.

By the way, would you happen to know how much Wii would cancel out PS360 losses for the generation?

Oh, and how come PS2 earned less than PS1? That's kinda surprising considering its huge base, software and long legs. Was it really sold at such a loss early on?

Well as I said, the PS1 figure probably doesn't include the R&D going into making the console in the first place... although for the PS1 I don't suspect it to be enormous as some of the costs will have been paid by Nintendo for a start (given that the PS1 started out life as an add-on for the SNES)

Also the media Sony has put into their 3 home consoles has been in 3 different states of penetration.... when the PS1 came out with it's CD drive, CDs were already an enormous market and were already cheap to make etc (so many magazines gave out PS1 demo discs as free gifts for example... nowadays you are lucky to get a free gift with a mag at all)

The DVD was already released and starting to gain mass-market appeal when the PS2 came out (and the PS2 helped it to gain mass-market appeal quicker, so early PS2s will have cost quite a bit to make with relatively expensive DVD drives... (though nothing to blu-ray drives for early PS3)

Blu-Ray however hadn't been out long when the PS3 came out.

Also don't forget the PS1 also had a huge base, software and hardware legs.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Immortal said:

Thanks a lot for explaining, :D.

By the way, would you happen to know how much Wii would cancel out PS360 losses for the generation?

Oh, and how come PS2 earned less than PS1? That's kinda surprising considering its huge base, software and long legs. Was it really sold at such a loss early on?

Well as I said, the PS1 figure probably doesn't include the R&D going into making the console in the first place... although for the PS1 I don't suspect it to be enormous as some of the costs will have been paid by Nintendo for a start (given that the PS1 started out life as an add-on for the SNES)

Also the media Sony has put into their 3 home consoles has been in 3 different states of penetration.... when the PS1 came out with it's CD drive, CDs were already an enormous market and were already cheap to make etc (so many magazines gave out PS1 demo discs as free gifts for example... nowadays you are lucky to get a free gift with a mag at all)

The DVD was already released and starting to gain mass-market appeal when the PS2 came out (and the PS2 helped it to gain mass-market appeal quicker, so early PS2s will have cost quite a bit to make with relatively expensive DVD drives... (though nothing to blu-ray drives for early PS3)

Blu-Ray however hadn't been out long when the PS3 came out.

Also don't forget the PS1 also had a huge base, software and hardware legs.

Oh, yeah, SNES CD, xD.

I wonder why they used the PS3 to popularize Blu-Ray though. I guess the media "generations" weren't moving quite as fast as the videogame generations. If they try to continue the trend by launching the next form of media at the same time as PS4...

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Graph made by another user based on the financial reports data:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=19625436&postcount=90

Why would a random gamestop employee know anything about this kind of things?

Mordred11 said:

Why would a random gamestop employee know anything about this kind of things?

beats the hell outta me lol, I just wanted to know if the new ps3 headset had better battery life than the first model.

Around the Network

They're making more money than most people here probably think. Nintendo of all companies posted an operating loss during Q2, primarily due to extremely disadvantageous exchange rates. Sony, which was in the same boat as Nintendo since they're both Japanese companies, posted a profit in their gaming division.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Ha no thats just gamestop being idiots..... I mean theres two gamestops around my area.... One is all xbox is  great and sony is "whos sony" and the other gamestop is you got a ps3?? Good, at least you dont have an xbox, there garbage... Anyway from what ive heard there cost for a ps3 is $279...... so around twenty bucks per ps3 right now.... So if thats correct dont expect a price drop quite yet

mchaza said:

whats funny is 360 was doing the same thing, only Nintendo was selling there 12 year old Wii console at an profit.

SONY is starting to make an profit on the ps3. They are making an profit on every single game because they make every blu ray disk 

what the f..k does that mean

I believe the wii was released in 2006?

Was this just a stupid comment?

mhsillen said:
mchaza said:

whats funny is 360 was doing the same thing, only Nintendo was selling there 12 year old Wii console at an profit.

SONY is starting to make an profit on the ps3. They are making an profit on every single game because they make every blu ray disk 

what the f..k does that mean

I believe the wii was released in 2006?

Was this just a stupid comment?

He means the hardware on it is old compared to that of PS3 and 360, therefore cheap to use as it is dated stuff.

Nah they dont lose money on the consol itself anymore and there making a fair amount from there games. Though i love how despite losing so much they never once tried to pull it of the market r give up. i say well dne to them ^^

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.