By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Umm is sony still losing money on the ps3?

Gilgamesh said:

June of 2010 was when Sony officially announced that they were profiting off the PS3

http://www.1up.com/news/sony-finally-profiting-ps3-sold

yea wht he said

Around the Network

Well, I heard Sony was expecting to start having an overall profit from the next fiscal year from the playstation brand. I think this means that they will gain everything they lost in the last four years by the next fiscal year.

Of course, I lost the source, so I don't have the proof. But it was one of the guys at SCE talking about move sales.

mantlepiecek said:

Well, I heard Sony was expecting to start having an overall profit from the next fiscal year from the playstation brand. I think this means that they will gain everything they lost in the last four years by the next fiscal year.

Of course, I lost the source, so I don't have the proof. But it was one of the guys at SCE talking about move sales.

If what you read is correct, then that's not exactly great news.

Think about it. It means that PS3 sunk down everything PS, PS2 and PSP had ever done. Right down the drain. And it'll be next year till they're breaking even on all of it altogether.

On topic, I thought they'd been making profit since March. I'll go with the link that says June though.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:

Think about it. It means that PS3 sunk down everything PS, PS2 and PSP had ever done. Right down the drain. And it'll be next year till they're breaking even on all of it altogether.

On topic, I thought they'd been making profit since March. I'll go with the link that says June though.

I never said otherwise though. However, its great news for the Sony brand as a whole because lets not forget one thing here: PS3 was also used as a system to make blu-ray win. And win they did. At a huge cost though, which might have been recovered through other means. 

Not to mention that even xbox 360 has not yet started profiting overall.

mantlepiecek said:
Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:

I never said otherwise though. However, its great news for the Sony brand as a whole because lets not forget one thing here: PS3 was also used as a system to make blu-ray win. And win they did. At a huge cost though, which might have been recovered through other means. 

Yeah, I was just giving my impression to make sure I was correct. It looked otherwise though since you said that they'd regained the losses of the past four years. And well, despite Blu-ray, Sony doesn't seem to be in a great situation.

That's besides the point though. Are you sure the 360 hasn't broken even yet? I know the Xbox brand is way under 'cause of the original, but I should think that the 360's profiting by now. They've profited for a while and the last price cut was ages ago.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:
Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:

Yeah, I was just giving my impression to make sure I was correct. It looked otherwise though since you said that they'd regained the losses of the past four years. And well, despite Blu-ray, Sony doesn't seem to be in a great situation.

That's besides the point though. Are you sure the 360 hasn't broken even yet? I know the Xbox brand is way under 'cause of the original, but I should think that the 360's profiting by now. They've profited for a while and the last price cut was ages ago.

Not so sure. Toastboy had a thread earlier which showed 360 hadn't yet broke even, but it might by the next year or so.

mantlepiecek said:
Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:
Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:

Not so sure. Toastboy had a thread earlier which showed 360 hadn't yet broke even, but it might by the next year or so.

Wow, so the 360 dug a deeper hole than PS3? And we're talking about a console that erradicated the profits of the two most popular home consoles, as well as a semi-portable handhelhd console, so far.

I would be scared to look at all the red I'd see if I saw this generation's overall losses...

Gilgamesh said:

June of 2010 was when Sony officially announced that they were profiting off the PS3

http://www.1up.com/news/sony-finally-profiting-ps3-sold

Sounds right.

Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:
Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:
Immortal said:
mantlepiecek said:

Wow, so the 360 dug a deeper hole than PS3? And we're talking about a console that erradicated the profits of the two most popular home consoles, as well as a semi-portable handhelhd console, so far.

I would be scared to look at all the red I'd see if I saw this generation's overall losses...

360 is hard to tell as it has to be seperated from not only the XB losses but also other stuff Microsoft shoehorned into the gaming (currently called E&D) division... however I can tell you for certain the X360 didn't/hasn't lost anything like the PS3 managed.

Now these are rough estimates based on the fiscal earning releases (this thread was very useful till it stopped being updated, but recent reports are easy to find: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=57802). )

The E&D division has been profiting for a couple of years now, and attempting to break the years down to only include XB and X360, the XB lost about $4-4.5billion in it's short life, while the X360 lost about the same before recouping some of it... around now I think it's about $1-1.5 billion still in the red. (of course this is ignoring other E&D products, generally they are small enough to not have made much difference, but combined they may have lost MS money (meaning XB360 didn't lose as much as said above) or may have profited (meaning X360 lost more than above)

Until recently (Sony combined Playstation with some other divisions in April 2010) Sony's figures were much easier to break down by console basing it on date and some assumptions on the time R&D would start... but essentially the PS1 made about $5 billion profit (though the playstation division was created not long before PS1 launched, so R&D for it isn't included), the PS2 made about $4-4.5 billion profit, the PSP I worked out to be about break even back in that thread, I guess by now it's probably not changed much as the PSP Go didn't do well and it still doesn't really sell SW.

Back then the Playstation division as a whole (since 1995) was still in the black, from the wording of the original source it seems it went into the red, which means the PS3 if taken on it's own has lost around $10 billion (from what I can tell of their fiscal reports they are still in the black when calculated in Yen (they lost around 180 billion Yen in the 2.5 years not included in the thread i linked to) so it could either be an exchange rate thing which means the division actually went into the red, or perhaps the other devices in the recently joined division are making small profits which is offsetting some of the gaming losses.

Anyhow, there is little hope of the PS3 ever regaining $10 billion, it may now be making small profits on the hardware and some on the software (this generation has some very expensive to make games, the software profit margins are generally quite a bit lower than for PS2).

TWRoO said:

360 is hard to tell as it has to be seperated from not only the XB losses but also other stuff Microsoft shoehorned into the gaming (currently called E&D) division... however I can tell you for certain the X360 didn't/hasn't lost anything like the PS3 managed.

Now these are rough estimates based on the fiscal earning releases (this thread was very useful till it stopped being updated, but recent reports are easy to find: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=57802). )

The E&D division has been profiting for a couple of years now, and attempting to break the years down to only include XB and X360, the XB lost about $4-4.5billion in it's short life, while the X360 lost about the same before recouping some of it... around now I think it's about $1-1.5 billion still in the red. (of course this is ignoring other E&D products, generally they are small enough to not have made much difference, but combined they may have lost MS money (meaning XB360 didn't lose as much as said above) or may have profited (meaning X360 lost more than above)

Until recently (Sony combined Playstation with some other divisions in April 2010) Sony's figures were much easier to break down by console basing it on date and some assumptions on the time R&D would start... but essentially the PS1 made about $5 billion profit (though the playstation division was created not long before PS1 launched, so R&D for it isn't included), the PS2 made about $4-4.5 billion profit, the PSP I worked out to be about break even back in that thread, I guess by now it's probably not changed much as the PSP Go didn't do well and it still doesn't really sell SW.

Back then the Playstation division as a whole (since 1995) was still in the black, from the wording of the original source it seems it went into the red, which means the PS3 if taken on it's own has lost around $10 billion (from what I can tell of their fiscal reports they are still in the black when calculated in Yen (they lost around 180 billion Yen in the 2.5 years not included in the thread i linked to) so it could either be an exchange rate thing which means the division actually went into the red, or perhaps the other devices in the recently joined division are making small profits which is offsetting some of the gaming losses.

Anyhow, there is little hope of the PS3 ever regaining $10 billion, it may now be making small profits on the hardware and some on the software (this generation has some very expensive to make games, the software profit margins are generally quite a bit lower than for PS2).

Thanks a lot for explaining, :D.

By the way, would you happen to know how much Wii would cancel out PS360 losses for the generation?

Oh, and how come PS2 earned less than PS1? That's kinda surprising considering its huge base, software and long legs. Was it really sold at such a loss early on?