By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Less than half of PS3 time spent gaming - Study

easyrider said:
Chairman-Mao said:

- 360 users spend half their time waiting for their console to get repaired

- PS3 has no games

- Wii is a kiddy console that no hardcore gamer would ever play

hyuk hyuk hyuk I love trolling

REALLY YOUR GOING WITH RROD, What a low blow. I have 2 xbox and have not had a problem yet. I get your kidding but it's getting old. Thats why I left N4G.

I had a 360 that red ringed on me, so IMO that gives me the right to joke about RROD! Now I have the new slim one though so I'm pretty much safe from any sort of coloured rings.

Around the Network

AussieGecko said:
AWESOM-O said:

This is just stupid.... hmmmm lets see.... lets come out with a study..... Well study little boys playing video games.... Anyway my xbox is used solely for gaming.... but only play it a few hours a week if that.... My wii (haha, i just played that for the first time in months the other day) So i rarely play the wii.... My ps3 is used for my main media.... I put in a few hours a week with games and many hours in with movies.....

So id say my breakdown per console is like this:

PS3- 50%

XBOX360- 30%

CLASSICS- 10%

WII- 10%

It is what you do with it not which consoles you play and what percent of that time. It appears you missed the point of the thread

No i did not miss the point of the thread.... I know how to read.... My first paragraph tells you what you need to know.... 

RolStoppable said:

I could think of some good damage control for the Wii average use per week. In this survey a user is defined as someone who owns the console which favors systems that are more likely to be played/used by just one person. The Wii has the most users per household according to other studies, but only one of them is accounted for in this survey.

Therefore I call bias.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but yeah, nice catch. I'd also bring up how the 13 & under crowd probably puts plenty more hours into the Wii, but we can't have people thinking it's a kiddy system now, can we?!

I'm surprised at the amount of non-gaming usage the Wii gets. My 360 probably gets the most usage by far, since I (or everyone in the house) always uses it for watching movies... Most of my gaming is done on the PC, though, even without WoW.

c0rd said:

I'm surprised at the amount of non-gaming usage the Wii gets.

From what I understand, of the three consoles the Wii gets the most Netflix use per household, so that part doesn't surprise me too much.

Around the Network

If the 360 had a bluray player, the numbers would be the same...

I love my PS3 as a mediacenter, it gets its content from a NAS through UPnP, bluray player, online VOD, web browser (youtube and others), PlayTV, Vidzone, etc...
No need to question why it's used for other things than gaming, it's simply because it's great at doing it.

And it's still a great (not to say the best) gaming system.

Oh I love my PS3!

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

c0rd said:
RolStoppable said:

I could think of some good damage control for the Wii average use per week. In this survey a user is defined as someone who owns the console which favors systems that are more likely to be played/used by just one person. The Wii has the most users per household according to other studies, but only one of them is accounted for in this survey.

Therefore I call bias.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but yeah, nice catch. I'd also bring up how the 13 & under crowd probably puts plenty more hours into the Wii, but we can't have people thinking it's a kiddy system now, can we?!

I'm surprised at the amount of non-gaming usage the Wii gets. My 360 probably gets the most usage by far, since I (or everyone in the house) always uses it for watching movies... Most of my gaming is done on the PC, though, even without WoW.

It's not much in the grand scheme of things, just 26 minutes a week.  I'd say it is probably kind of weighted by people who use it as their primary device versus those who don't use it at all.  For example, the Wii gets used an average of 5 minutes a week for internet.  So if someone uses their Wii as their main browser, they could maybe put in 20 hours a week.  If that were the case, then 239 other people could never use the browser and the average would still come out to 5 minutes between the 240 people.

Yakuzaice said:
c0rd said:

It's not much in the grand scheme of things, just 26 minutes a week.  I'd say it is probably kind of weighted by people who use it as their primary device versus those who don't use it at all.  For example, the Wii gets used an average of 5 minutes a week for internet.  So if someone uses their Wii as their main browser, they could maybe put in 20 hours a week.  If that were the case, then 239 other people could never use the browser and the average would still come out to 5 minutes between the 240 people.

Hrm, good catch. I guess it's obvious I was deceived by the graph, with the comparison being in percentage use instead of the actual time used (there's no hour usage anywhere on the graph). It'd be nice if they also had a bar graph showing the minutes per week, or something.

I only use my consoles for gaming and blu-ray (with the extremely rare internet surfing prior to building my HTPC). However, I can see how so much ussage time gets used by other features. I haven't used my PS3 for a videogame since I got 3D Dot Game Heroes and Assassin's Creed II back in July, but I've watched a handful of blu-ray movies on it.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Mine is around 85% gaming and 15% Netflix/Blu-Rays.

I also use my PS3 at least 10 hours a week.