By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Less than half of PS3 time spent gaming - Study

With the addition of online-enabled functions like video streaming, Web browsing, and social networking, game consoles are increasingly becoming all-purpose entertainment hubs. The results of a Nielsen study released this week provide evidence of that, as the media-monitoring firm determined that some consumers actually spend more time with consoles' extended functions than they do playing its games.

Less than half of PS3 time spent gaming - Study

The survey--conducted on a general US population sample of unspecified size--determined that PlayStation 3 gamers aged 13 spent an average of 49 percent of their time with the system playing games. The largest share of non-gaming time was accounted for by watching movies on DVD or Blu-ray (27 percent), with downloaded and streaming movie watching accounting for another 13 percent.

Gaming accounted for 62 percent of time spent using the Xbox 360, with DVD viewing trailing at 11 percent and downloaded/streaming services totaling another 16 percent of usage time. Gaming dominated Wii usage, accounting for 69 percent of all time on the system. While the system lacks DVD playback capabilities, movie watching was still a prominent secondary activity thanks to streaming services such as Netflix that accounted for 20 percent of usage time on Nintendo's console.

The survey also broke down each system's gaming time into online and offline play. The Xbox 360 had the smallest disparity between the two, with 34 percent of usage time spent gaming offline, compared to 28 percent online. Despite the PS3's free online infrastructure, only 19 percent of usage time was devoted to online gaming, compared to offline gaming's 30 percent share. The Wii numbers were the most lopsided, with offline play accounting for 57 percent of time on the system, compared to just 12 percent for online play.

Finally, Nielsen reported the average hours consumers spent using each system. The Xbox 360 topped the list with 4.9 hours of use per week, with the PS3 behind at 4.1 hours per week. The Wii was the least used of the bunch, averaging just 1.4 hours per week.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285498.html

Around the Network

I'm using mine to watch tv right now so...lulz :D

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

ps3 az no games that's why

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I don't use my consoles for anything but gaming. That's the reason I bought them. Though I hope the PS4 is more of a game machine and less of an all in 1 media center.

What I'm really surprised is "The Wii was the least used of the bunch, averaging just 1.4 hours per week."

Around the Network
chapset said:

ps3 az no games that's why

SHHHH that's so 2006-2007!

I actually can't remember the last game I played on my PS3, Batman AA maybe? 

It's really my DVD/BluRay player at the moment and not much else, and before people start yelling fanboy, my 360 gets much more Netflix use than game use (I just happen to game on it too occasionally).  :-p

LivingMetal said:

What I'm really surprised is "The Wii was the least used of the bunch, averaging just 1.4 hours per week."

Too be honest i'm not shocked. Many people buy it and shelf it. Mine is currently shelfed due to lack of games that suit my interest. I'm begging to throw my money at Nintendo...waiting for them.

Also this is because there are more Wiis on the market than PS3s and 360s so the # would be lower.

twesterm said:

I actually can't remember the last game I played on my PS3, Batman AA maybe? 

It's really my DVD/BluRay player at the moment and not much else, and before people start yelling fanboy, my 360 gets much more Netflix use than game use (I just happen to game on it too occasionally).  :-p

FANBOY!! mah doing it right? :D

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

My 360 spend 100 percent of its time collecting dust. My ps3 is spending its time at sony right now. My Wii is enjoying being turned on about 10 times a year. My classic consoles spend 50 percent playing games and 50 percent snuggleing in bed with me.